• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
More importantly, this thing is quiet. It’s almost inaudible when it's idle, and in Red Dead Redemption 2, for instance, it’s still pretty quiet – much more so than the Xbox One X, which gets noticeably louder under full GPU load. We’ll see how its acoustics are when I’ve got new games to put all 12 teraflops to use..

From IGN. Not sure if I'm encouraged by "pretty quiet" for a last gen title.

Caporegime
For people asking about useable storage after the OS install etc.

Let’s talk about storage next. You will need to use your 1 terabyte wisely. To be clear, it’s 802 gigabytes of usable space, after OS and system files. When you plug in the Seagate 1 terabyte storage expansion slot that gives you all of the benefits of the internal drive, it adds 920 gigabytes of usable capacity.

Soldato
Arstechnica:

ll conclude this preview with the best news to come out of this venting weirdness: Series X, so far, is the quietest Xbox I've ever tested. Back-compat software runs the Series X to a high enough level to activate the fans and unleash noticeable heat dissipation, but I can barely hear it, even while spending hours in current-gen, open-world romps like Destiny 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2. Will that change when we get higher-performing "next-gen" games to test? That question, and many more, will have to wait until next time. (In the meantime, please keep your questions coming on all things next-gen in the comments.)”

Caporegime
From IGN. Not sure if I'm encouraged by "pretty quiet" for a last gen title.
As someone said noise levels are subjective. My one x is silent, I can hardly hear it when it’s on and I’m playing.
But then most of the time I have my Astro A40’s on so a console making noise is the least of my worries.
Hell I’ve even gone to sleep with my one x on and I can hardly hear it.

Soldato
Don’t be a negative nelly. It’s one of the heaviest games out there, noise is also

You are right, due to 'sensory issues' I perceive a lot of things as noisy that others don't. So as long as it's not annoying over a relatively low volume on my soundbar or headphones it's all good.

As someone said noise levels are subjective. My one x is silent, I can hardly hear it when it’s on and I’m playing.
But then most of the time I have my Astro A40’s on so a console making noise is the least of my worries.
Hell I’ve even gone to sleep with my one x on and I can hardly hear it.

I had a 1X for a bit and agree it was very quiet. I'm always a bit dubious when people give reports, heard so many people on here with the mythical "whisper quiet" PS4 Pro's when playing demanding games.

Last edited:
Soldato
That's what I thought but it's still pretty impressive - don't forget though that this is BC stuff. Be interesting to see what the PS5 drive comes up with.

It'll be interesting to see how much lower it can get. I wonder how many of these titles are having their loading times needlessly drawn out because of title screens?

Soldato
The less said about my base PS4 the better.....it makes standing on a runway at Heathrow seem quiet.

I hear my PS4 Pro over my headphones. And not just when it is quiet either...

I think anyone that expects 'instant' loading is being unrealistic. There will always be a slight delay for quick resume. And I know I'd rather wait a few seconds than 20/30... :)

Caporegime
OP
I obviously know nothing about the engineering on the Xbox but these load times ARE way longer than I was expecting. I guess all these older titles are still using either legacy DirectX filesystem APIs or the emulator is limited transfer speed some way. How on earth can it otherwise take 37 seconds to load in a maximum of 512MB (which is what Alan Wake could use in total)???

EDIT: Just realized the Ars.Tech tests include loading a save file rather than just to the title screen of a game. That is actually a big improvement then.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom