• Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
There is.

Also of note is DirectML:

https://lordsofgaming.net/2020/06/xbox-series-x-directml-a-next-generation-game-changer/#:~:text=Xbox Series X supports Machine Learning for games,DirectML leverages unprecedented hardware performance in a console.

Microsoft could well be cooking up tech similar to Nvidia's DLSS, which would explain their "1440p and up to 120fps" claim for a console that seems a little underpowered for that (long-term).

It seems to not just be about raw horsepower, it sounds like they have some clever tech solutions that they can use.

On another note, my turtle beach 700 gen 2s arrived (Still happy with my 10% off). Now all I need is an Xbox :p - I guess I’ll try them with Bluetooth.

Going to sell some old pc bits tonight that I kept in reserve, but just don’t need.

Soldato
It seems to not just be about raw horsepower, it sounds like they have some clever tech solutions that they can use.

The Hot Chips presentation was interesting. Lots of stuff going on under the hood. It's definitely not just a PC running proprietary software. They now just need some next gen games to show off all of the stuff they've worked on :p The wait for Avowed, Fable, Starfield, etc. is going to be painful!

Associate
Pretty tragic really. Delivery day needs at least one go to title - why would I want to play exisiting gen games on my shiny Series X?

Massive faux pas from MS if your are correct. Kind of glad I have a PS5 on order too!
I would guess that Sony don't have any PS5 games available for media to play with either - why would they finish a game months before console launch when they can use that time to carry on development right up to the last minute.........especially if the games are going to be delivered in digital format?

Have Sony even let the media loose on the PS5 yet? I don't recall seeing any hand on of actual hardware........but I may be mistaken? Seems a bit harsh to have a pop at Xbox, when at least we've seen the hardware out there being used in some form.

Soldato
I would guess that Sony don't have any PS5 games available for media to play with either - why would they finish a game months before console launch when they can use that time to carry on development right up to the last minute.........especially if the games are going to be delivered in digital format?

Have Sony even let the media loose on the PS5 yet? I don't recall seeing any hand on of actual hardware........but I may be mistaken? Seems a bit harsh to have a pop at Xbox, when at least we've seen the hardware out there being used in some form.

Hmmm. Not sure I buy it. Demos are easy enough to produce particualrly given that the development process would be nearing completion on most next gen games anyway.

Granted the next month or so can be used to polish, but are we supposed to believe they have nothing at all to showcase on the various lucrative media and "influencer" channels?

I'm not having a pop at MS as I have a series X on pre-order but they are due to be releasing week before Sony, so yeah - I would expect to see something.

I have the same criticism of Sony also if they also do not have any showcase of their tech over and above orchestrated corporate presentations.

Kind of makes me feel they are not confident in their product and its release package and that their hardware line is way ahead of the games. Ergo the release of both systems is going to be a massive anti-climax with very little to justify the purchase over and above better frame rate and faster load times of my existing library.

I don't think that's why any of us are buying these consoles.

Caporegime
Hmmm. Not sure I buy it. Demos are easy enough to produce particualrly given that the development process would be nearing completion on most next gen games anyway.

Granted the next month or so can be used to polish, but are we supposed to believe they have nothing at all to showcase on the various lucrative media and "influencer" channels?

I'm not having a pop at MS as I have a series X on pre-order but they are due to be releasing week before Sony, so yeah - I would expect to see something.

I have the same criticism of Sony also if they also do not have any showcase of their tech over and above orchestrated corporate presentations.

Kind of makes me feel they are not confident in their product and its release package and that their hardware line is way ahead of the games. Ergo the release of both systems is going to be a massive anti-climax with very little to justify the purchase over and above better frame rate and faster load times of my existing library.

Faster load times and better frame rate is why I’m going to buy one ;). I couldn’t really care less about next gen titles as it is, they will come out when they are ready.

Come launch day and I manage to get hold of one, I’m not going to be too disappointed, I’ll just be happy to play destiny2 in 4K at 60fps.

Soldato
Digital foundry seem very impressed with the series x and ars technica say how quiet it is. Very excited for release day!!

On another note, I tried keyboard and mouse on call of duty earlier. Really weird playing Xbox with keyboard and mouse.

Caporegime
OP
Digital Foundry vid. I'm a bit disappointed in some of the results, that the XSX still cannot get a solid 4K60 in some titles. OK, it might only dip 10 fps here and there but I can't help think this shouldn't be happening at all.

Soldato
Digital Foundry vid. I'm a bit disappointed in some of the results, that the XSX still cannot get a solid 4K60 in some titles. OK, it might only dip 10 fps here and there but I can't help think this shouldn't be happening at all.

Will watch that in a bit. Well when the 4k upload comes on.

PS: What is your new id? If you don't want to share publicly but dont mind adding me then mine is on my sig :)

ljt

ljt

Soldato

I think that's mainly down to the backwards compatibility software that's used to run those games, it has its own overheads, much like an emulator on PC, and it also doesn't take into account newer features from the GPU either.

Soldato
Faster load times and better frame rate is why I’m going to buy one ;). I couldn’t really care less about next gen titles as it is, they will come out when they are ready.

Come launch day and I manage to get hold of one, I’m not going to be too disappointed, I’ll just be happy to play destiny2 in 4K at 60fps.

Fair enough - to each their own.

Personally I want new games and experiences that are fit for the hardware.

Maybe I'm being too demanding? :p

Associate

Whilst I don't disagree with you, it is worth noting that they only mention the embargo on reporting certain aspects has been lifted - it would be easy to assume that there is m,ore that the media and review sites aren't yet allowed to tell or show us..........I want to see third parties messing with the PS5 hardware!

Man of Honour
After a quick test of my Turtle Beach 700 Gen 2s I must say I’m impressed so far. Detailed sound and bass while being very comfortable and easy to setup. Not a million miles away from my DT990s.

Back
Top Bottom