• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
Also I suspect very very few will run any games at 120 unless you have a 2020 line TV as not every high end TV has HDMI 2.1

To my knowledge if you don't you ain't getting 120 anyway

I know my Samsung QLED TV doesn't granted it is few years old now so I don't think HDMI 2.1 existed then anyway

I looked at modern sets and only saw a handful at most had 2.1 most still ran 2.0

2.0 supports 1440p120 and most of Samsung's 2019 range including my Q70R support it (along with VRR, ALLM, and HDR). That's all you need anyway as all AAA games running at 120 fps will not run at 4k.

Some indie/2D/simple 3D games will support 4k120 (such as The Touryst and Ori) but they generally don't benefit from the 4k resolution anyway.

30 fps is news though

Sure, technically this specific information is new, but games running at 30 fps is not news and nor is games running at half the frame rate on the S compared to the X.

Next you'll be telling me that removing ray tracing from the S version of games is news :p

Soldato
2.0 supports 1440p120 and most of Samsung's 2019 range including my Q70R support it (along with VRR, ALLM, and HDR). That's all you need anyway as all AAA games running at 120 fps will not run at 4k.

Some indie/2D/simple 3D games will support 4k120 (such as The Touryst and Ori) but they generally don't benefit from the 4k resolution anyway.

Sure, technically this specific information is new, but games running at 30 fps is not news and nor is games running at half the frame rate on the S compared to the X.

Next you'll be telling me that removing ray tracing from the S version of games is news :p
News to me too thanks Kreee

I had a Google of my Sammy set as it's model QE55Q6F, turns out even though older set now does support 120hz :)

Soldato
or two axes :p

People keep mentioning Gears 5, I need to finish 4 first :D

Its all very confusing. Not many TVs currently seem to support 2.1 and 120 currently. Some new TVs seem to advertise as having it, but then only have 1 port for it or don't mention the TV has it, but then it does. I'm happy between 30-60 anyway. I can't see 120 being particularly useful or pretty outside of MP.

Wel, i need to finish 3 and 4 first - and im determined to be playing 5 on Wednesday, so not leaving self much time

Even with heavy sessions this weekend, i doubt is any way will even finish odyssey before launch.

Man of Honour
Oh, that's news to me. My 2018 Q7F supports 1440p120. Neat-o.

News to me too thanks Kreee

I had a Google of my Sammy set as it's model QE55Q6F, turns out even though older set now does support 120hz :)

I guess that explains some of the lack of enthusiasm for 120 fps if people weren't aware that their TVs already support it as HDMI 2.1 isn't needed.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
It's a little disappointing really - all the way back to the PSX I got a next gen launch game; to not have one here is really pretty poor.

Valhalla is 4k60 but 4k30 (upscaled?) on my one x? Are there additional graphical improvements aside from some extra frames?

Soldato
I’m more interested in VRR nothing worse than tearing in games. 120Hz without VRR is generally a tearing mess. I hope it’s supported by most games but will see.

Soldato
Hopefully VRR is a universal thing, as I am really looking forward to using 4K/120 for R6. The lack of a big launch title is disappointing for this generation, with neither side having anything at launch that remotely interests me. Although looking back, the only thing that did at PS4/Xbone launch was FM5.

edit - My EA Play has also been converted, although it doesn't appear to be right. I think I've only received half of what I should have...

Man of Honour
I’m more interested in VRR nothing worse than tearing in games. 120Hz without VRR is generally a tearing mess. I hope it’s supported by most games but will see.

It should be supported at the hardware/OS level rather than software, so all Series X games should support VRR from what I understand.

My EA Play credit was converted to Gamepass ultimate yesterday apparently, gamepass ultimate sub lasts till the end of 2022 now.

Same, I extended my Gamepass to July 2023, gaining an extra year for £45.

Soldato
Good to know. I assume you mean the controller being wired?
No, I have a fully wired up house so I can, using a USB-C > Ethernet adapter connect via a wired connection so its pretty dam good considering the cpu and AMD encode performance, although I don't have any issues wireless either. The Series X should take this further with native 4k/60 game streaming.

Soldato
No, I have a fully wired up house so I can, using a USB-C > Ethernet adapter connect via a wired connection so its pretty dam good considering the cpu and AMD encode performance, although I don't have any issues wireless either. The Series X should take this further with native 4k/60 game streaming.
Ah I see thanks. I didn't think of using an Ethernet adaptor.

Back
Top Bottom