Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Just an FYI on the batteries

FB-IMG-1605528850975.jpg

Soldato
How much longer do they last? I can charge up my EBL batteries and they can sit in the little case they come in for ages and still have charge when they're needed. They last about 40 - 50 hours in my Xbox pads, and I have three pads in use most of the time.

I couldn't say for certain, as it's been a while since I did my investigations etc, but I remember that eneloops always took the edge. Additionally, they showed better charge endurance, as in they would maintain a higher capacity throughout charge cycles compared to other brands.

When buying a charger, you definitely want one that can charge each battery independently - it can really help with longevity, as they're not being overcharged.

Soldato
I couldn't say for certain, as it's been a while since I did my investigations etc, but I remember that eneloops always took the edge. Additionally, they showed better charge endurance, as in they would maintain a higher capacity throughout charge cycles compared to other brands.

When buying a charger, you definitely want one that can charge each battery independently - it can really help with longevity, as they're not being overcharged.

I know the discharge when not in use isn't as good as the Eneloop Pro's, but when you're using your controller every day or few days, that doesn't come into it. The 2800mAH EBLs last long enough for me.

Soldato
I know the discharge when not in use isn't as good as the Eneloop Pro's, but when you're using your controller every day or few days, that doesn't come into it. The 2800mAH EBLs last long enough for me.

Sorry I didn't explain my point very well - I meant that eneloops can withstand more charge cycles before they need replacing (i.e. on a capacity vs charge cycle graph, the gradient is flatter/less steep)

I agree that typically it doesn't matter if they drop charge when you're not using as they're being used quite often.

Price is a large factor too - if the eneloops are twice the price, there isn't much point in going for them. I guess I'm just a bit of a sucker for buying expensive things :p

Soldato
I think that regardless of which version of a game is 'better'. The differences are likely to be negligible (thankfully) unlike the more dramatic ones in ps4 v xb1

Man of Honour
Find it strange the PS5 is performing better in the 2 120fps games I’ve seen benchmarked so far. +10% in COD... will be kinda annoying for people that grabbed the Xbox for what was meant to be the better 3rd party performing platform.

Still enjoying Tactics here, so much on game pass it’s hard to know where to start :D

I would agree that it doesn't make sense. It still has more potential, MS just need to make some software refinements. Then again, the PS5 doesn't offer 120fps in every game that the X does.

Associate
I read an article somewhere that seemed to suggest the original xbox 360 version of red dead redemption could be played at higher resolutions on the new xbox. Is this just upscaling or have they done anything to make it actually render at the higher resolution?

Caporegime
Find it strange the PS5 is performing better in the 2 120fps games I’ve seen benchmarked so far. +10% in COD... will be kinda annoying for people that grabbed the Xbox for what was meant to be the better 3rd party performing platform.

Still enjoying Tactics here, so much on game pass it’s hard to know where to start :D

I think its difficult to judge right now. All we have are games built from the ground up on old tech with just enhancements being made for ps5/series x versions.

I think judgement will be best held back until we have some actual next gen titles, built only for the new consoles.

I wasn't expecting there to be much difference between the two anyway. I imagine overall we will find them fairly evenly matched, with some wins for one and some wins for the other.

Caporegime
Starts getting expensive if you buy these smart chargers though, I use a fairly basic charger and I've not really had any issues aside from some batteries refusing to charge, but if I part charge them in a slow charger, they seem to then charge fine again.

ljt

ljt

Soldato
I read an article somewhere that seemed to suggest the original xbox 360 version of red dead redemption could be played at higher resolutions on the new xbox. Is this just upscaling or have they done anything to make it actually render at the higher resolution?

IIRC on my One X, RDR 1 definitely ran at 4k. So I assume the Series X will run it at that, plus auto HDR on top.

Caporegime
All this talk of rechargeable batteries etc-

Why not just get the £20 venom twin charger?

Its great. Two docks, two batteries, no need for faffing with taking batteries in and out and charging them etc.

Caporegime
Why :confused:

On a PS4/5 controller, once the battery is dead (as in, dead dead), you need a new controller. Not the case with an xbox controller - just get new rechargeable eneloops.
Exactly I’d rather have a controller that has replaceable batteries than an internal one.
My elite ver2 is an internal battery and I’m not quite happy about that, luckily it’s been good as gold but still should it die as in completely then that’s £150 down the drain.

Fingers crossed it doesn’t happen anytime soon.

Soldato
Sure.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B086QJD..._fabt1_dlC_EPMSFbTY8M6SS?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Price has come down a bit. There's a cable but no power adapter with it but it can be charged from any micro-USB or USB-C power adapter. I use my fire tablet chargers with it as I have about 5 lying around. I like the visual notification on the charger to let you know the capacity of the batteries.

thanks, sucks that the one that comes with AA batteries is £7 more expensive :(

Also seems silly to not provide a plug with a charger. I dont have any spare so would need to buy one, but I added it to list to give it consideration.

Soldato
All this talk of rechargeable batteries etc-

Why not just get the £20 venom twin charger?

Its great. Two docks, two batteries, no need for faffing with taking batteries in and out and charging them etc.

Yeah i know, I've had 2 docks since day one Xbox One and never had battery issues. Bought a new one for my Series X and expect it to perform the same.

Soldato
I use the IKEA ones. They last absolutely ages.

Personally, I like the simplicity of charging the DS4. The docks hook in to a connector next to the headphone jack, and I've found that to be very reliable (especially compared to dock solutions for the Xbox pad). On the other hand, the battery life on the DS4 was... not great. A pair of LADDA batteries in the Xbox pad will last a couple of weeks before needing to be swapped. Low battery warning pops up, swap the batteries at the next opportunity. No drama. On the other hand, if I forgot to drop the DS4 back in its dock, it rarely made it through a second evening of gaming. I don't really have a major preference either way TBH; the PS solution was more elegant, but the Xbox solution had way better battery life. Horses for courses.

Associate
I use the IKEA ones. They last absolutely ages.

Personally, I like the simplicity of charging the DS4. The docks hook in to a connector next to the headphone jack, and I've found that to be very reliable (especially compared to dock solutions for the Xbox pad). On the other hand, the battery life on the DS4 was... not great. A pair of LADDA batteries in the Xbox pad will last a couple of weeks before needing to be swapped. Low battery warning pops up, swap the batteries at the next opportunity. No drama. On the other hand, if I forgot to drop the DS4 back in its dock, it rarely made it through a second evening of gaming. I don't really have a major preference either way TBH; the PS solution was more elegant, but the Xbox solution had way better battery life. Horses for courses.
As you say, they both have their positives and negatives.........but if people are using disposable batteries in their Xbox, then I'd hate to think about the landfill!

Man of Honour
It renders internally at a higher resolution.

Back
Top Bottom