• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Soldato
Can any current GPU run 4K 120hz? Maybe I’m out of the picture but I am not aware of one, and even though these systems will be powerful they aren’t going to be *that* powerful.

Soldato
Can any current GPU run 4K 120hz? Maybe I’m out of the picture but I am not aware of one, and even though these systems will be powerful they aren’t going to be *that* powerful.

My 2080Ti can run Dirt Rally 2 at 4K 120hz but that is with a healthy overclock.If the Series X can get close to my £1000 GPU i will be impressed.

Man of Honour

Even without considering that, there are resolutions between 1080p and 4k.

My 2080Ti can run Dirt Rally 2 at 4K 120hz but that is with a healthy overclock.If the Series X can get close to my £1000 GPU i will be impressed.

In terms of raw performance the Series X GPU is pretty close to the 2080Ti, but then you have the performance benefits of developing for a single piece of hardware to consider.

Soldato
In terms of raw performance the Series X GPU is a match for the 2080Ti, but then you have the performance benefits of developing for a single piece of hardware to consider.

Well then if they can offer that level of performance at half the price of a 2080Ti then that is certainly quite impressive,exciting times ahead for console gamers and PC gamers.:D

Last edited:
Soldato

thebgame runs at 60fps when set to 4K. 120fps is for 1440p.

Albeit I expect the graphics of dirt5 to be better but never the less it's clear the series x is not on the same level as the 2080ti

Soldato

Wrong question.

Plenty of current GPUs can do 4k120, but not at max settings. Could Codemasters design Dirt 5 to run at 4k120 on Series X? Sure. But the visuals elsewhere will be toned down compared to where they'd be at 4k60.

It makes a lot more sense to target 4k60, as this is what most Series X and PS5 customers will be looking for, and then provide a 120fps mode using a lower resolution (1440p?). This is the way it was done in Forza Horizon 4; a 4k30 base game, with a 1080p60 option.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The thing is most PC games have 'high' and 'ultra' settings that offer far less in terms of increased picture quality than the impact they have on performance but people naturally want to run on highest settings because they want what is believed to be the best image quality and they want to get their money's worth from their £700 graphics card. Console games are much better optimised and so if a developer wants 120fps they will target it from the outset. That said I think the main thing allowing 120fps next generation is the Ryzen CPU's, the AMD Jaguar in current generation is more like a PC processor from 2005-2010 just with more cores but we've seen with AMD Bulldozer how smaller cores are not really good for gaming (and Jaguar was much worse than Bulldozer). Next generation CPU's are seriously a massive jump.

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this a sign of things to come? Or just a cross gen bump in the road

As far as I'm aware AC Valhalla is the first open world game to be shown off so I would start praying that other open world games don't follow suit.

It's no surprise to me that small world corridor games or racing games can hit high frame rates - we would have had those same frame rates if the One X had a better cpu - the true power of the system is stressed in large open world games

but in saying that, Ubisoft has a history of un-optimized crap - see Odyssey's cloud settings, see Far Cry 5 on any AMD cpu, see Division 2 on AMD cpu etc. If I was being very hopefully I'd say perhaps Ubisoft is still trying to convert it's game engines to be optimized for AMD after 10 years of only optimising for Intel

We won't know for sure what's going on until we see this game running on a PC then we can check what sort of PC hardware matches up to the Series X performance and see if the Series X is under performing

Last edited:
Soldato
Given that a 2080i can't run AC:Odyssey at 4k60 I think it's just a case where the engine is working the GPU hard.

It can, just depends on the settings. Use high instead of ultra = 80fps.
But we just don't know what PC equivalent settings Valhalla is using on consoles - this requires some digital foundry analysis

Soldato
I'm not defending Ubi at all but I have to say AC is one of the few games I've played where the jump from 30 - 60+ wasn't as obvious as say Witcher 3.

Back
Top Bottom