• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Caporegime
Does the Series X|S support DD and DTS? Because if not, optical doesn't have the required bandwidth to transmit 5.1 PCM, maybe that was a deciding factor in not bothering to put a legacy connection on it?

Plug your headphones in to your controller.

Associate
Does the Series X|S support DD and DTS?

Can't comment on the S but the X does DTS:X and Atmos, confirmed when testing with my DTS:X/Atmos soundbar.

I have another issue when trying to use DTS:X, the LG CX doesn't pass through any DTS signal through eARC so unless I plug my X directly into my soundbar, I cant use DTS:X. LG didn't pay for a DTS license?

Which isn't an option as my soundbar doesn't pass through a HDMI 2.1 signal. So I am stuck with Atmos.

Caporegime
DTS:X and Atmosphere won't go over optical as their bandwidth requirements are too high.

I know that doesn't help with your eARC issue but its relevant to what we were discussing.

Associate
DTS:X and Atmosphere won't go over optical as their bandwidth requirements are too high.

I know that doesn't help with your eARC issue but its relevant to what we were discussing.

We'll you asked if DD and DTS are supported on the X/S.

Seeing as both are inferior to Atmos and DTS:X it would be pretty bizarre for the lower quality sound to not be supported.

Associate
I've given up with the Series X. Just sold it (for £500)

The lack of support for something as basic as USB audio out and the fact that there are no HDMI 2.1 monitors or soundbars or even audio extractors is just frustrating in the extreme.

I've gone back to my One X. It's quite good enough for the games I play at the moment and looks decent enough on my 32 inch Acer BM320.

I will buy one again when and if peripherals appear that can utilise the thing the way I want. Maybe when my Logitech Z5500 finally blows up (it's 10 years old and still going strong)

Do not care about gaming on a TV. I can't stand glossy screens. We have a 65 inch 1400 nit HDR set in the living room with an Atmos AV setup but that's just for movies , streaming and general TV duties.

Gaming in the cave is my escape from all of that.

Roll on next Xmas.

Caporegime
This is interesting.

So I bought a second controller, the texture on the front shell is smoother than the original one, which means that when you're moving the analogue stick around the limit of the travel, its not as rough.

I wonder if they've changed that because of the roughness issue?

Soldato
I've given up with the Series X. Just sold it (for £500)

The lack of support for something as basic as USB audio out and the fact that there are no HDMI 2.1 monitors or soundbars or even audio extractors is just frustrating in the extreme.

I've gone back to my One X. It's quite good enough for the games I play at the moment and looks decent enough on my 32 inch Acer BM320.

I will buy one again when and if peripherals appear that can utilise the thing the way I want. Maybe when my Logitech Z5500 finally blows up (it's 10 years old and still going strong)

Do not care about gaming on a TV. I can't stand glossy screens. We have a 65 inch 1400 nit HDR set in the living room with an Atmos AV setup but that's just for movies , streaming and general TV duties.

Gaming in the cave is my escape from all of that.

Roll on next Xmas.

Get a good headset mate. A really good set can be like cheating at times.

Associate
Never owned a headset. But I do have a fairly decent pair of comfortable headphones (Sony MDR-1R)

TBH I looked into the all singing all dancing Astro stuff that Microsoft had apparently allowed to use the USB for audio out on the Series X, but hey guess what? They don't work either (according to a lot of users on Reddit and the like)

Just got fed up of trying. Plus. I can't stand wearing headphones for more than 30 minutes (and I can spend 4 to six hours gaming)

5.1 DTS is perfectly fine with rear speakers providing surround sound. Been doing it that way for 25 years.

Caporegime
Never owned a headset. But I do have a fairly decent pair of comfortable headphones (Sony MDR-1R)

TBH I looked into the all singing all dancing Astro stuff that Microsoft had apparently allowed to use the USB for audio out on the Series X, but hey guess what? They don't work either (according to a lot of users on Reddit and the like)

Just got fed up of trying. Plus. I can't stand wearing headphones for more than 30 minutes (and I can spend 4 to six hours gaming)

5.1 DTS is perfectly fine with rear speakers providing surround sound. Been doing it that way for 25 years.
Ermmm I have the Astro A40s and they work perfectly fine with my series x using usb audio. I just needed to update my mixamp in order to get it to work.
Maybe there are people that are having issues ie sound quality but they seem perfectly fine to me. I wouldn’t trust or rely on Reddit as there are some pretty dense idiots on there that have no idea on how to use the usb out for the A40s. Anyways they are loud and clear, plus having a Dolby digital sound profile does help a lot. Astro give you a licence for Dolby digital for free, just have to download the app and set it up and away you go.

Soldato
Just out of interest.... those that have the new console.... with Games with gold are you getting any additional games ? I only ask as I remember with the Xbox one came out I couldn’t get games free that were Xbox one exclusive as I had an Xbox 360. But if I logged in via the web I could collect those games for a future date when I got around to upgrading.

Had about 6 months of free games when eventually upgraded :D

Soldato
Just out of interest.... those that have the new console.... with Games with gold are you getting any additional games ? I only ask as I remember with the Xbox one came out I couldn’t get games free that were Xbox one exclusive as I had an Xbox 360. But if I logged in via the web I could collect those games for a future date when I got around to upgrading.

There isn't a single title available on Series X|S that isn't also available on Xbox One. So for now, it's business as usual for Games With Gold. This month it'll be Little Nightmares (Xbox One), Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One), King of Fighters XIII (360) and Breakdown (Xbox). Could be a while before Series X|S titles are given away.

Soldato
There isn't a single title available on Series X|S that isn't also available on Xbox One. So for now, it's business as usual for Games With Gold. This month it'll be Little Nightmares (Xbox One), Dead Rising 3 (Xbox One), King of Fighters XIII (360) and Breakdown (Xbox). Could be a while before Series X|S titles are given away.

Ok thanks for the confirmation.

Associate
Maybe you need a modern AV receiver not a 25yr old one?

You got things a bit twisted there. I've been using a 5.1 surround system for 25 years. Not with the same amp or sound card.

Been through more iterations of Dolby / DTS than I care to remember to be honest.

If only Logitech had been ready with a new desktop system. I'd have kept the Series X for sure.

Anyways. Not the end of the world. The games I looked forward to the most like ACV Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk most likely won't have been optimised for another 6 months or so.

I can wait till then.

Man of Honour

Nope

Caporegime
Does the Series X|S support DD and DTS? Because if not, optical doesn't have the required bandwidth to transmit 5.1 PCM, maybe that was a deciding factor in not bothering to put a legacy connection on it?

Plug your headphones in to your controller.
Headphones into controller is literally awful. There's so much compression it sounds like ****, all the time.

The point is that, due to the loss of a $2 optical, we now need to spend $50+ either in the form of an audio extractor (does VRR still work if you use one?), or an expensive AV receiver just to convert HDMI to optical out/line out/headphone out, depending on how much you spend on the AV receiver, or whether you want to use an existing DAC/amp, etc.

That $2 saving has screwed people who want to use their existing headphones and DAC/amp setup. There really was no need for it.

And once again, the headphone out on the controller is awful. Not just the compression, but it won't drive many headphones anyway.

e: HDMI audio extractor does NOT work with VRR, according to Google. So that plan is a wash anyhow.

Associate
The word Cluster **** springs to mind to be honest.

What on earth were they thinking?

Maybe, just maybe, they have something in the pipeline they're going to release that allows audio out from USB?

Personally? I don't think they're that smart.

They're just another company run by beancounters, and the bottom line is king.

Back
Top Bottom