• Series S

Votes: 104 11.7%
  • Not interested

Votes: 230 26.0%
  • Both

Votes: 22 2.5%

• Total voters
Man of Honour
The gap should absolutely exist and always be in XSX favour if the devs are doing it right.

Not necessarily, some specific games will benefit from higher clocks rather than more GPU cores.

On the whole there should be a noticeable performance increase from the big jump in GPU power though.

Man of Honour
Thats nice but console game devs need to understand frame variance is unacceptable, they should have reduced the folage density. For that reason I would say the PS5 version is the best out of the three, but so far seems the best enhanced game for these consoles. The visuals look nicer than cyberpunk in my opinion.

Sure, but Cyberpunk is nowhere near optimised for next gen yet.

Associate
Daft question (or questions) -

Can I use the XSX horizontally? If I place it vertically, it will be about 10cm from a B&W607 speaker - not sure if the magnetic field may impact.

Soldato
Not necessarily, some specific games will benefit from higher clocks rather than more GPU cores.

On the whole there should be a noticeable performance increase from the big jump in GPU power though.

I thought it had higher clocks than ps5 too so I'm assuming not by your reply . To be honest I bore myself to death with tech specs and benchmarks, I just like to focus on the game most the time but it's still nice to know how they perform I guess.

Soldato
I thought it had higher clocks than ps5 too so I'm assuming not by your reply . To be honest I bore myself to death with tech specs and benchmarks, I just like to focus on the game most the time but it's still nice to know how they perform I guess.

Series X is 52 CU at ~1800Mhz whilst the PS5 is 36CU at ~2200Mhz.

Both are RDNA2 based “custom” jobs.

In some cases the extra clock speed will matter more thus closing the gap on the theoretical advantage the series X has. For example if there is a bottleneck somewhere in the rendering pipeline causing the extra CU’s to it be used in the most optimal way.

The Hitman grass section is quite interesting as the framerate drop occurs on both of the Series machines but not on the PS5. It may possible be a bug or could be a genuine limitation whereby running an adaptive resolution at this point would have made sense.

Soldato

In some cases the extra clock speed will matter more thus closing the gap on the theoretical advantage the series X has. For example if there is a bottleneck somewhere in the rendering pipeline causing the extra CU’s to it be used in the most optimal way.

The Hitman grass section is quite interesting as the framerate drop occurs on both of the Series machines but not on the PS5. It may possible be a bug or could be a genuine limitation whereby running an adaptive resolution at this point would have made sense.
There was a similar issue with this basketball game that occurred when changing the camera angle. It only happened on the XBOX consoles and not the PS5:
https://youtu.be/VlJTitNBk9g?t=846

Soldato

PS5 is up to 2200Mhz it uses a dynamic clock so this is its best case situation. Series X is always 1800Mhz with no dynamic clock...

If that makes any difference who knows...

Soldato
There was a similar issue with this basketball game that occurred when changing the camera angle. It only happened on the XBOX consoles and not the PS5:
https://youtu.be/VlJTitNBk9g?t=846

Yeah it seems to be a thing across a few games that are “enhanced” for the new consoles.

From memory there are also small dips in very specific scenarios in Destiny 2 on series consoles which don’t appear on PS5. Haven’t experienced any drops myself so only going on the DF video. Doesn’t really make much sense from a logical standpoint (drops are seemingly random given more intense scenarios don’t show the drop) but are there currently.

PS5 is up to 2200Mhz it uses a dynamic clock so this is its best case situation. Series X is always 1800Mhz with no dynamic clock...

If that makes any difference who knows...

Ah thanks, I missed that point re: dynamic clocks. :)

Overall I haven’t had any performance issues on my Series X that cause any playability issues. Been really enjoying D2 at 4K 60fps even if my aim on console needs work (too many hours on PC). The less said about the actual game mind the better...

Caporegime
OP
Overall I haven’t had any performance issues on my Series X that cause any playability issues. Been really enjoying D2 at 4K 60fps even if my aim on console needs work (too many hours on PC). The less said about the actual game mind the better...

What I’m finding is that there are odd frame drops on Series S but I just shrug and get on with the game. Whereas on PC, I’d immediately stop, fiddle with the settings and try playing again. It’s actually liberating!

Soldato
What I’m finding is that there are odd frame drops on Series S but I just shrug and get on with the game. Whereas on PC, I’d immediately stop, fiddle with the settings and try playing again. It’s actually liberating!

Pretty much how I feel as well. I will say I have found the same by turning off overlays on pc and just getting on with playing the game.

One thing I am loving though is the overall responsiveness in the UI compared to my PS4 Pro. Obviously down to the ssd and both of the other new consoles also share the same advantages compared to the previous gen but feels great all the same.

Back
Top Bottom