1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

XFX 6800GT running hot

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Saikor, 14 Jul 2006.

1. Saikor

Gangster

After playing Civ4 and watching dvds (at the same time) I noticed that my gfx card temp according to the nvidia drivers was at 125 degrees. It now idles at 82. The thing is, I have had no crashes no BSODs no artifacts. MY question is, do I take this temp reading seriously?
    I had noticed the temperature creeping up slowly, I had attributed this to a build up of dust, but there appears to be very little.

2. Steedie

Man of Honour

When i had my 6800GT, the throttling temperature was set to 125, so its obviously possible, but you would experience artifacts or crashes at least at those sort of temperatures.

Providing they arent incorrect, and you actually are running a BBQ in your case, check the fans still spinning (if you cant already hear it) because the stock coolers should at least keep it at well below that

XFX did have alot of problems with dodgy temp sensors in there early releases of 6800 cards, but i would have thought that would have been noticed by now if you've had it a while

3. BurntCarcus

Gangster

Take the cover off that has the picture on it, inside you'll probably find a wall of fluff blocking the heatsink from getting any air. Had the same problem with mine a few weeks ago, wasnt quite getting to the temps yours was, around 95 full load and 70 idle. Dropped the temp by 20 degrees once i cleaned it. Worth a try, you'll just need a really small screwdriver or the tip of a stanley blade to get the screws out.

4. Booner!

Sgarrista

my Xfx 6800GT agp just shut down my game and it was running at 124*c and i was experiencing ALOT of slowdown :mad: just one more week till my X1800XT thank god!

5. MikeB

Wise Guy

Is a 1800XT 512mb a good upgrade from a 6800GT, I run at 1920*1200 res. and the 6800GT has started crashing and locking PC up.

6. Darkwave

Capodecina

It's a mega upgrade. :)

7. MikeB

Wise Guy

CHeers

8. Audioslim

Gangster

Same happen to me. I took the opportunity to install a Artic Silencer but it was channel between HS + Fan that was totally blocked with me. Unscrew the top of the HS and clear it out (unscrew the picture if it's anything like my XFX was pre cooler change).

Slim