1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

XFX GeForce 6200 OC'ing problem. :(

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by dairymasta, 4 Jun 2006.

1. dairymasta

Associate

Hi, I just bought a XFX 6200 256mb AGP 8x a couple days ago...everything was fine with it, and then I tried to overclock it. It OC'd fine (from 350/532 to 420/620), and I was getting a pretty good FPS boost with most of my games. But now all my games hang and freeze when I try to play them? I've been greeted by BSODs about 3 times telling me "nv4_disp" or "nv4_disp.dll" have had issues.

I installed RivaTuner to unlock the OC'ing capabilities on the card. As soon as I uninstall RivaTuner and reset the clocks to default, all my games work fine again...is there no hope for me oc'ing this card?

I downloaded the latest drivers off of the Nvidia site...(84.21 I think), so I'm not sure what to do about OC'ing it...any help? Thanks in advance.

2. sunlitsix

Capodecina

from the sounds the card just cant take that speed, try it at 400 then test it.
    work up in 5Mhz intervals and test after each increase.
    use ati tool to test for artifacts

edit : just thaught, can't the 6200 be unlocked to a 6600?

Last edited: 4 Jun 2006
  3. JonnyGLC

Mobster

Is there honestly any point in trying to overclock a card of this calibre? It's not really going to do anything.

4. dairymasta

Associate

Well I was getting around 8fps boosts...and games were a hell of a lot smoother...it was working before, so many it was just running too high or something...

I have the newer core, so it can't be unlocked.

5. DBSE_Snake_XE

Associate

When your games are only running at 20 FPS or so, that extra 8 FPS can make all the difference. :p

6. dairymasta

Associate

Well on the counterstrike:source stres test, it's more like 37fps-ish, then 45fps-ish when OC'd...

Haven't really checked when playing games, but it's noticeably smoother.

7. m3csl2004

Hitman

if your card is fast enough then theres no need to overclock it, if the card is l
    slow as hell then there is every need to overclock it

8. JonnyGLC

Mobster

That's true.. But overclocking a higher spec card usually does more than overclocking a lower specced one from my personal experiences.

9. m3csl2004

Hitman

not in mine

my 9200se with its 64bit membus was dire, but you could actually tell the difference between 200mhz mem and 210mhz mem because of it

with my 9800pro you couldnt tell anything at all - even underclocked compared to overclocked

then it died :D :(

10. dairymasta

Associate

Okay, I tried lowering the clock frequencies used, but the game's still crashed and hanged. I then tried to just leave the clock frequencies on stock settings, and the games still hanged. :/

Only after I disabled overclocking and uninstalled RivaTuner, and restarted my PC did the games stop hanging...is there not hope? :(

11. dairymasta

Associate

Help..anyone? :(

12. sunlitsix

Capodecina

from the sounds the card just isnt taking those speeds now, maybe try a different driver set.
    sometimes higher clocks can be made more stable with different drivers

13. dairymasta

Associate

Well even when I haven't even touched the clock frequencies, but overclocking is enabled, my games hang...so it can be that the card can't handle the speeds. :/

14. dairymasta

Associate

Bump. :(

15. markysparky

Associate

Try using forceware drivers 76.44 all the other drivers are locked against overclocking which will cause problems like the problem you described. Make sure you uninstall the drivers completely before installing the different drivers

16. dairymasta

Associate

Alright, another issue I'm getting is that the card's hitting like 73~76 degrees, and it's not even overclocked. :(

Should I get a new cooler? :(

17. markysparky

Associate

I had a problem like this I took off the cooler and put some arctic silver on the gpu, temps dropped by about 10 degrees. Also if you have a fan on the cooler then that will help also