1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Dismiss Notice

XFX GeForce 6800 XT Extreme Edition 256MB GDDR3 doubling up?

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by RichieP, 6 Jul 2006.

1. RichieP

Associate

Am I right in saying that I can install 2 of these cards at the same time - motherboard permitting?
    If so is it an easy operation and importantly is it worth it?
    My manual with the current card makes no mention of this?

Cheers,

Richard

2. doran1801

Hitman

the card you have should have a notch on the front facing side for a sli bridge. If it has not then it is not an sli card, alternatevely you can check your nvidias control panel, it will tell you if your card has sli capabilities or not

3. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Yes the 6800XT is SLI compatable :)

4. RichieP

Associate

Thanks for that, but would performance improve much and is installation straightforward?

5. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Should give a decent boost, but depending on what its costing you id consider flogging your current 6800XT and putting the cash to a 7600GT or maybe a cheap X1800XT instead. I think the 7600GT may be as quick as 2x6800XTs and the 1800XT is certainly quicker.

Anyhow, if you do go down the 6800XT route intalling is easy. Depending on what mobo you have just flip the little paddle card on the mobo, or do it in the bios.

Inert card. boot up, enable SLI,

Job done :)

6. RichieP

Associate

Thanks again -

There seem to be massive price differences in the 1800xt range - any recommendations?

Cheers

7. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Go for the Connect3D card, only £170 so pretty cheap and a lot better than the 6800XT

8. RichieP

Associate

Thanks - I'll get onto it now

9. Naffa

Capodecina

Just like to compliment MeatLoaf on some quality advice :) [​IMG]

10. MeatLoaf

Capodecina

Cheers mate :cool:

11. gtir666

Gangster

Very good advice, those 6800xt's i consider a rip off compared to the price/performance of slightly dearer cards as meatloaf mentioned :)

I had a 6800xt 256mb version, it gave less 3dmark06 points than the 6600gt 128mb it replaced :eek: