XP pausing after login

Soldato
brand new Dells, tried this build on several computers so it's not hardware related.

Basically after logging in (whether on a domain or into local computer) the PC hangs for up to a minute. No hard disk activity or anything after AV and everything else has loaded then out of the blue again without HDD activity the whole thing kicks into life.

Nothing in the event logs indicates why, I can't see anything loading at started that would cause it to hang like this. I've done all the obvious things like uninstalling AV, disabling devices, updating all the drivers, disabling any services I dont need etc.

Any ideas? It's a fairly basic XP install but has a lot of applications loaded so I don't really want to have to restart from scratch. Even if there were some way I could get an accurate log of what the PC is doing second by second I might be able to figure out what's causing this delay.

Associate
Does it hang immediatly after you've typed a user name and password or is it once the windows screen is up? If it's the former might be that the machine is looking for a DHCP address and no finding one - though I guess that would show up in the event log...

Back
Top Bottom