XP Pro logon time

Soldato
Hi there

Brand new high spec PC here at work running XP Pro SP2. Its taking ages (about 5 minutes) to logon to the win2000 pro domain.

No conflicting IPs etc.

Once in it's completely fine.

Any suggestions?

Soldato
A few things immediately come to mind, but it could be any...

Badly configured DNS - check it's using an internal server for DNS and that all the DCs can be resolved.

Huge Roaming profile - check it's size. System Properties under the Advanced tab.

Is other network browsing slow? It could be a duplex mismatch or similar. If the rest of the NICs are 100Mbps/Full Duplex and you're running Half Duplex or vice versa, it can cause slowdowns like this. Not that common anymore - autosensing actually seems to work most of the time!

Soldato
OP
DNS is fine and the PC is brand new so only one user and her profile - nothing outstanding.

I googled this info:

"This is caused by the asyncronous loading of networking during the boot up process. This speeds up the login process in a stand-alone workstation by allowing the user to log in with cached logon credentials before the network is fully ready.

To disable this "feature" and restore your domain logons to their normal speed, open the MMC and add the group policy snap-in. Under Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->System-->Logon, change "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" to ENABLED.

This can be fed to clients via a group policy from a Windows 2000 server by upgrading the standard policy template with the XP policy template. Since this is an XP only command, non-XP systems will ignore it in a domain distributed group policy."

I'll be trying it before i leave today or in the morning. Will report back here with results.

Appreciate your help csmager :)

Back
Top Bottom