• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

XP Pro needed for dual -cores??

rik

rik

Associate
Mebbe wrong forum so apologies.
Do you need XP Pro or 64 to run a dual core chip properly?
Nowhere seems to state this clearly and I will be spending ££ soon, so any help appreciated

Soldato
DP is correct - but I personally wouldnt touch "Home" with a barge pole

XP Pro would be the best, it will be supported for some time to come ( where 2000 isnt) and XP 64 isnt quite there yet, in my opinion anyway - from extensive reading i have done

Soldato
FrankJH said:
DP is correct - but I personally wouldnt touch "Home" with a barge pole

XP Pro would be the best, it will be supported for some time to come ( where 2000 isnt) and XP 64 isnt quite there yet, in my opinion anyway - from extensive reading i have done

Nothing wrong with XP Home. It's fine for pretty much everyone unless you want the extra networking options etc. What aspect of home would you not touch with a bargepole?

Soldato
Slipstream the right 10 or so files from an XP pro disk, into XP home, and bobs your uncle, you have Pro anyway.

XP Home just has a few features 'disabled', primarily to do with network security. XP Home will only work on a single CPU as well, although multi core, CPU's are correctly detected, and function perfectly, as the XP Home license is 'per socket' not per core.

IE A dual core, Hyperthreading P4D-EE will give 4 virtual cores on XP Home, no problem.

The only 'problem' with Home, is you cant buy a 64bit XP Home.

Back
Top Bottom