XP with SP2 won't pick up my full 250GB, only 127MB

jmp

jmp

Associate
Is there a fix out there to correct my above problem without re-formatting my hdd?

Supposedly XP SP2 sorted this out but i am running SP2 and my drive has not been detected at the full 250GB, only 127MB.

Soldato
Hmm, the only thing I can think of (and I may be way off here) is something called "LBA Large/Big Drive Enabler" but I would have thought XP SP2 would work fine with large drives.

Is it just possible that the drive is not partitioned properly?

Associate
127MB or 127GB?

If GB then it might've been formatted previously with an OS without LBA 48bit addressing or your IDE controller doesn't support it (highly unlikely).

Man of Honour
mosfet said:
it might've been formatted previously with an OS without LBA 48bit addressing
Yeah sounds like the box has been installed with vanilla XP and SP2 has been added afterwards.

There are 2 ways round this without reformatting:

1) Use Partition Magic to extend the existing c: drive into the free space.

2) *This should work but I've never tried it* You should be able to convert the disk to a dynamic disk in Disk Management and then extend the partition again within Disk Management.

Associate
is this a brand new hardrive ? if so is it sata 2 ?? and does you motherboard support sata2 ?? if not try changing the jumper on back of thd rive to sata 1 setting :)

Lee

Lee

Associate
I had this problem with the 200GB Seagate drive I installed over 12 months ago. It's a known problem with XP. Seagate have a downloadable tool to fix this for their drives. Not sure if it will work for other vendors.

Soldato
i had the same problem on my seagate 250gb :(, only choice i had was to create a seperate partition which i didn't mind anyway or what i have done is get a raptor for windows + games then have the seagate plugged in seperate and it's fully detected as a 250gb drive!

*note i did try creating a slipstream of xp + sp2 on one disk but this still had no effect

Back
Top Bottom