1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yellow emojis - do you guys still use them?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dowie, 19 Feb 2018.

1. dowie

Caporegime

How about a different topic to the usual Trump/DailyFail/muslamics etc... something bordering on the inane perhaps :)

I've noticed on whatsapp, slack, FB messenger groups that Black and Asian(as in Indian/Pakistani etc...) people are now generally using the black/brown hand emojis - i.e. The thumbs up etc... and white people are using the white ones etc...

I've just generally used the yellow ones seeing them as a generic/nonspecific 'simpsons' style emoji.

However today I noticed in one group (full of mostly those "millennials" we often hear about) that I may have made a faux pas... Someone had made a comment that was generally agreed upon, the brown/black people responded with black/brown etc... thumbs up, there were a few white thumbs up from the white people and there were some of the (what I used to assume to be generic) yellow thumbs up responses from myself and some Asian(as in Chinese/Japanese etc...) people.

Now this made me stop and think, I was the only white person using the yellow thumbs up and as someone who in real life is perhaps a bit more sensitive to political correctness than I might be in discussions on here, and given it is [current year], I'm wondering if I've engaged in the heinous crime of "cultural appropriation"?

Are the yellow hand symbols not (as I have generally considered them to be) generic but actually Asian? I guess further to this with emojis originating in Japan this would make sense.

So GD, especially if you're from some background other than that kind of Asian, do you still use the yellow emojis or do you use the various shades of white/black/brown ones instead? Or indeed if you're Asian, do you consider the yellow emojis to be your emojis?

Also are faces different? It does seem that the regular smiley faces are still used as generic emojis (I guess some of them only come in that colour too) I've only noticed this segregated use with regards to the hand symbols.

2. Irish_Tom

Capodecina

Yellow emojis here — I think you worry too much. Is someone really going to be offended by the kind of emoji you use?

3. LabR@t

Capodecina

jesus whats next !

4. Malevolence

Capodecina

You can now offend some sensitive little ponce by simply using the wrong smiley now? Someone stop the world, I want to get the **** off.

5. adolf hamster

Soldato

i dont use emoji unless it's the ones on here, or if the system i'm using auto fills from the ascii emoji.

yeah, i'm old school...

6. Matteysan

Soldato

I don't care if I offend anyone I will remain using the default yellow emoji's.

7. Lopéz

Man of Honour

My mum uses the black thumb's up, claiming it's the only version she has available in her phone.

8. d_brennen

Capodecina

I use gender neutral, sexually androgynous yellow emojis only.

9. Acme

Caporegime

Could be worse, my Dad texts in capitals on his Nokia NK402 because he doesnt know how to turn them off.

10. Telecaster

Soldato

Thankfully I'm not on any of the sites mentioned so my emoji use is zero.

11. Rroff

Man of Honour

I rarely use emoji's and usually just the ASCII text equivalent if I do use "smilies" - I'm sure that offends someone somewhere.

12. something daft already!!

Soldato

I don't use emojis. :o:p:D:confused:

13. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

Loves the BBC.

I use the black ones too for maximum effect.

14. dl8860

Mobster

One of my mates uses black for everything. He's not black. There again I guess no one else in that friendship group is.

15. VincentHanna

Capodecina

Dowie - You have too much time on your hands if this is the sort of thing you have to worry about

Personally I don't really use Emojis.

16. LabR@t

Capodecina

same here : )

17. LabR@t

Capodecina

what ****?

18. Acme

Caporegime

I use a small handful of emoji's on Facebook and only use the default ones... In Skype for business at work I don't use them on purpose, but some ASCII ones turn into graphical ones which is fine.

And I use them all on here of course! :cool:

19. Ayahuasca

Capodecina

You alright dear?

20. LabR@t

Capodecina

i meant to say "what you use BBC for maximum effect", lol