Soldato
People still use emojis? How quaint...

I remember thinking they were cool/cute when I was still using MSN messenger about 10 years ago, guess I'm no longer down with the kids (Although I still use the ascii versions =P)

Man of Honour
Never come across an east asian person using the yellow emoji's, I thought they were for anyone. I have noticed people using race specific ones of late, I tend to do the same nowadays.

Soldato
Welcome to 2018

Get ready for 2019 where emjois have rights!

Assume the graphic design team spent as much time creating the female emjois as they did with the male ones.

Hopefully we'll get non gender specific ones soon.

Associate
I use whatever colour the colon and parenthesis type symbols transform into when I hit return - :)

Yup, this. My wife also generally uses yellow emojis, but then she does also describe herself as a little yellow person. Can't say I've ever really thought about it.

Man of Honour
As a straight white male with pivilege I once accidentally used a brown emoji. I was accused of cultural appropriation. I resigned immediately.

Caporegime
OP
Yellow emojis here — I think you worry too much. Is someone really going to be offended by the kind of emoji you use?

That is what I'm trying to establish, if they are becoming a less generic thing and more of an Asian thing then I could be appropriating them... please remember it is [current year]!

My mum uses the black thumb's up, claiming it's the only version she has available in her phone.

LOL mums and technology :D

One of my mates uses black for everything. He's not black. There again I guess no one else in that friendship group is.

I'd generally not use the black one, especially in a big group as it could be taken the wrong way very easily. Perhaps in a group of close friends, in a jokey way, that everyone is aware is meant jokingly then sure... but I can't think of many situations where it would be appropriate to use as a white person.

Thus the question about the yellow hand/thumbs up emoji... if that starts becoming less like a generic thing then perhaps I will switch to the white thumbs up/hand emojis.. at the moment I just use what I see (or used to see) as the default/non race specific ones

Dowie - You have too much time on your hands if this is the sort of thing you have to worry about

Personally I don't really use Emojis.

It is a semi-serious question, I could be committing a micro aggression here and those are a big thing these days.

Caporegime
Thankfully I'm not on any of the sites mentioned so my emoji use is zero.

You don’t text or message people?

I’m a mix, sometimes I change the symbol to white, but mostly yellow. Not bothered either way.

Probably also worth pointing out that some of the more non common emojis may have different apparent meanings on certain phones. For example Samsung use* a smiley face for the rolleyes emoji...

*they may have just finally come in to line with others.

Digital blackface is a term I've heard thrown about recently. Come on Kim, nuke us all already.

There’s a solution to that, stop following those twitter feeds.;)

Back
Top Bottom