NVP

NVP

Soldato
Ok I know this is 4 years old, but...
Are the yellow hand symbols not (as I have generally considered them to be) generic but actually Asian?
...??? You do know that referring to East Asians as yellow is a slur, right? I mean, seriously, wtf?!

Associate
The fact that there are multiple “skin colours” for symbols designed to assist text communication, would suggest we are in a bit of a pickle and moving the wrong way with racism.

Why would you need to display your skin colour when trying to show your sentence is intended with a “sad :(“ tone.

edit: dammit, replied to a necro’thread seriously… [non race-specific sad smiley]

Associate
I thought the sad blue emoji was to show something had gone wrong with your autoerotic asphyxiation. Also there is a lack of balance, where is the happy blue one?

Caporegime
It was only a matter of time.
I mean 4 years ago no one called out that

yellow + Asian = bad

I just use the one that comes up when I type the word for the emoji.
I'm not searching through to look for the correct colour!

NVP

NVP

Soldato
It was only a matter of time.
I mean 4 years ago no one called out that

yellow + Asian = bad
I'm extremely surprised it wasn't.

The posters in this thread must have been blissfully ignorant thinking @dowie 's point was essentially "should I stop using the rainbow emoji because it's reserved for homosexuals?" when it was actually akin to "should I stop using the monkey emojis because they're reserved for 'black people'?"

How that wasn't noticed is mind boggling and concerning.

Man of Honour
I would imagine that people use yellow because it's the default.

Some people (many I would guess) probably don't even know you can long press and change the colour of some emojis.

Soldato
This whole subject shows how society as slumped backwards. We now have acceptable forms of racism, and now racial segregation.

When I look at the pictures in the US in the old days were it says "whites only" or "blacks only" do millennials now think it's acceptable?

fez

fez

Caporegime
I'm not ******* sad enough to care what colour my emojis are. Just use the default one. If your identity is that tied up to your race you need shaking. Who gives a crap.

Back
Top Bottom