Yewen's months in thoughts on the S80b

Associate
After the successful installation of my Schythe Mine I'm getting by stock speed e6600 as idling at 43C and under full load 58C (measured with CoreTemp). So yeah, this seems a little higher than many report with other cases but probably within safe limits?

I reckon the layer of AS5 I applied might be a touch thick so should really do a final reseat but it took me all night to get the mobo out to reseat last night so maybe I'll see how it goes and just reseat finally if I decide to overclock.

I wish the HDD drive bay enclosure came out (it is riveted on) it would give more room to work on when taking the mobo out/putting it back in.

Yewen, the only other gripe I have is that the internal panel presses against the SATA connectors attached to the HDD's. Guess this isn't a problem though?

I've connected the Mine 4-pin connector to the 3-pin cpu-fan connector on my mobo ... this is OK isn't it (presume I just lose some throttle functionality)?

Some of my PSU wires might be touching the Mine cooler fins ... these won't melt will they?

Soldato
OP
If its working it should be fine, your temperatures are perfectly fine, should drop a little once the AS5 settles, although they are a little high so you may not have gotten the right amount of AS5 on, it takes a little practice to judge the amount you need. Done a few dozen with AS5 here and only just got it to give consistant results, your temperatures are fine so do not worry.

If I think back correctly you can mount the drives deeper into the caddies, the cables do hit the side but its nothing that the Antec cases do not suffer from, you are given the same amount of space in the S80 as most of their range.

Just need to tweak the case basically now, and I disagree with the removeable HHD rack, you are given just enough; not 1mm to much, space around the motherboard to work. I have removed and fitted about 8 motherboards into the S80 now (dodgey Hiper PSU killing them. :rolleyes: ) and have yet to desire more space, it certainly is no v1000+ but it gives you just enough room to comfortably work I find.

I have changed CPU coolers with the board still in the case three times, and will do later again to fit a Yate Loon fan I am trying out. Never an issue. :)

Oh and do not worry about the cooler, usually is a few deg cooler than the CPU temp is, so nothing to worry about unless your CPU is at 130. :D

Associate
Yewen + other s80 owners, I'm thinking of putting a fan controller in my s80 but I'm wondering about clearance of dials etc from the door. Have you succesfully installed a controller in your case, if so, which one (and is it any good)?

Associate
gave up on the fan controller idea ,

How quiet is your case now? When i set my front fans on full 2000rpm i can hear them whooshing through the case and it makes a loud noise. I am going to reduce the speed and see id it calms down !

7volt the fans i would say

Associate
It certainly isn't what you'd call quiet. Using dustproofs alround and a sythe ninja I get quite a bit of resonance. This is even though my mobo is passively cooled and the X1900XT has the quiet(er) HIS fan. I'm loathe to just 7V though becuase I'm currently idling at 48C.

Soldato
OP
Very hot idle as you say.

Try it anyway, see if the temperature goes up.

I do not really care for temperatures, stable and not throttling is what I go by. Had 80deg processors before running 24/7 silent for years, and these chips do not like heat nearly as much as these modern ones.

If its stable there is nothing to worry about, the CPU in a modern computer will shut itself off if its running to hot.

If something is resonating any idea what panel it is?

Associate
I need to investigate it more. I'm almost certain part of it is something to do with the power connector on my hdd's being in contact with that side of the inner panel (not a lot of clearance). But, like I say, I need to give this all some investigation (find the time is the biggest problem).

Associate
Yewan is right about temps; however i still would have thought 2x120 fans running into the case would have helped cool the case down - oh well

we bought the hype ! :D

Soldato
OP
My case temperatures on full air are below 35 load while being silent. ;)

Nothing to do with the case so to speak, it may even be a dodgey temperature sensor.

Back
Top Bottom