Yosemite rubbish for anyone else?

Commissario
Since I got my iMacs back in 2011, I've never installed an OS fresh, I've always done an upgrade. This time I'm noticing that they both seem a little sluggish so I'm considering doing a nuke and pave to see if things improve. My main machine is an i7 with whatever the top speed CPU was at the time with 16Gb RAM and an SSD. I'd not expect it to be sluggish at all.

V F

V F

Soldato
Since I got my iMacs back in 2011, I've never installed an OS fresh, I've always done an upgrade. This time I'm noticing that they both seem a little sluggish so I'm considering doing a nuke and pave to see if things improve. My main machine is an i7 with whatever the top speed CPU was at the time with 16Gb RAM and an SSD. I'd not expect it to be sluggish at all.

I'm seeing more complaints about this release compared to the past. More so many complaining about beach-balls with systems like yourself. As well as bluetooth issues.

Associate
It's a bit buggy for me. The battery life is shorter (I'd get 9+ hours in Mavericks with Safari just running, I haven't seen the meter go above 8 hours in Yosemite). Random beachballs and freezes when opening folders, and the login screen is a blank white with my user icon in the middle when I use a custom screen profile. I can still log in, but I can't see the password field or the other buttons since they're white too. On the other hand, the crashes while in sleep mode (sleep wake error) seem to have stopped, which is nice.

Soldato
Happened with my install of Yosemite. My shares kept reconnecting/refreshing every so often that it was noticeable during media playback. It happened with both afp and smb shares, though I didn't try CIFS.

I also had the wi-fi dropouts but that was on a MacBook Air mid-2013 at work. Network is WPA2-Enterprise with PEAP.

Eventually I had a fresh install for both machines and everything seems to be running smoothly.

Last edited:
Associate
My issue is it looks terrible on bad screens. It amplifies how bad the MBA screen is.

Plus the colour choices for some items are disgusting.

It's a bit better with the custom color profile found on MacRumors forum, but I've noticed that the shadows around the window appears to be low quality, worse than how they looked on Mavericks.

Associate
It's terrible for me.

Refuses to connect to Wifi upon wake, will not connect until I reboot my router. Really sucks when you're not using your own wifi as that's THE only thing that fixes it.

Freezes up at random points. Also needs a reboot by holding power for a few seconds, otherwise unresponsive.

Won't wake up after touching trackpad, have to mash it like a lunatic.

Screensavers REALLY heat up my rMBP, to the point the fans kick in.

Soldato
Also found that the iPhoto update with Yosemite doesn't like my iPhone 3GS.. it complains that the camera picture format is unknown (it's JPG)..

So bad points:
* I work by starting things and then leaving them imitating/running in the background - switching between tasks.. the modal model of working in Yosemite doesn't work for a laptop nor my way of working.
* sleeping takes an age.. I have 16GB and in mavericks it was fast and efficient.. it seems to take three times longer with Yosemite.
* random slow downs
* random wifi lockups

A laptop does not equate to an iPad for the reasons of use. It seems that someone in Apple has missed that point sorely..

Last edited:
Soldato
As soon as I can be bothered, I'll be installing Mavericks again.

Fresh install on my ancient 2010 Macbook Pro/240gb M500, and I feel that performance is pathetic.
All Steam games have become horrendously slow, battery life has went down by about 2 hours, USB headset infrequently cuts out.
Haven't connected it to the Synology since installing, but sounds like it's not worth doing that...
Have just removed Chrome from the thing, as the battery drain with that seems to be worse than ever.

Planned obsolescence I guess. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Soldato
Screensavers REALLY heat up my rMBP, to the point the fans kick in.

It did that for me under Mavericks so I don't think it is specific to Yosemite.

I thought I had no problems, however 3 days ago my exchange email account with the university stopped working to the point where the mail app (and the new outlook, and sparrow mail) keeps asking for my password (and then fails to log me in asking for my password again). This has also happened to my boss and a few others around the University which makes me think there is something going on between our Macs and the server. Interestingly, there are no problems connecting on iPhones and iPads.

So annoying as I have to use an old version of Outlook, or the web client).

Associate
Screen savers heat up the rMBP but not the iMac
SMB shares work so much faster its unreal!
Safari - certain sites just don't load properly, especially verified by visa pages. Gets this weird glitch if swiping back a page, it kind of locks 20 pixels in from the edge and you can't scroll any page until closing that tab and loading the site again.

Boot up with hdmi ext monitor plugged in shows a brief glitch of a lower res desktop (flashes 2/3rds the size of the screen) on the internal display (didn't on Mavericks)

Toolbar buttons drawn by a child in stick man fashion - really? and why are they white it's really intrusive.

Soldato
I had serveal machines not booting correctly after forced reboots...
It occured on one of our servers just now and I had to force power it off, remove it from the rack and plug it in on my desk with a monitor and keyboard, just to safe boot the os (hold down shift). Just to reboot it back in normal mode to shut it down and move back to the rack.

God knows what it does after a unsafe shutdown, but I wish I can disable it as I've had one machine sitting on the loading power for over 2 days.

Soldato
Back to Mavericks now, and it's a night/day difference. Recommend it to anyone considering going back.
No more spinning beach balls, battery life is back to how it should be, and I can enable trim again...

Worse performance hit from an OS I have ever seen, and I include day 1 Windows Vista in that... :D

Associate
Anyone getting issues with scrolling in pdf files? It becomes very jerky especially in larger pdfs within preview.

Everything also just generally feels sluggish to me compared to Mavericks.

Back
Top Bottom