You don't do that with Disics are you crazy?

Soldato
I must admit that I do get annoyed when I buy a game in Tesco and they shove the game discs in those dust filled card wallets.

One time after the miserable looking cow had yanked it out of the card, slapped it onto the counter and dragged it to the edge of the counter to pick it up and stuffed it into the case I took the disc out turned it over, looked at the scored surface (also covered in greasy fingerprints) and said- "as I'm buying a new game can I have one that hasn't been damaged before I get my hands on it?" I was in no rush and asked to speak to the manager when she said "that is new" Suffice to say I got a sealed one from the warehouse after her supervisor saw it :o

I don't normally care but I couldn't be 100% sure that it would have been error free it was that bad.

Soldato
Remember the good old days when CD's were first launched and were being sold as 'indestructable'? You used to be able to skim them along the floor and they would still play fine - nowadays though they use acheaper plastic so scratches do make a difference, although im sure a few hairline ones arent going to do anything!

Soldato
isnt the OP the one who stressed over thowing boxes away for games or something, games on CD's are meant to be played, not collected like items

although a certain amoint of caution should obv be used

Permabanned
da_mic_1530 said:
isnt the OP the one who stressed over thowing boxes away for games or something, games on CD's are meant to be played, not collected like items

although a certain amoint of caution should obv be used
lol, yeah my missus does my nut with a similar thing to this, whenever i buy something new she gets REALLY paranoid about me damaging it in any way, even the tiniest imprefections that result from standard use make her go mental. My solution to this is that now, every time i leave a store with a new item i damage it deliberately, this results in only a small telling off and a much more peaceful future :)

Some people just hate to see their precious things get marked regaurdless of their functional state, and yes i mean 'precious' like golem would say it ;)

Soldato
WatchTower said:
You'd be suprised how many scratches they pick up many won't effect the disc but I like my discs to be just from the factory perfect. I may be being a little strang but I bet there's many people that like to keep there games in the best condition they can.

Don't buy used games on ebay then?

Soldato
Apparently the coating used on blu-ray discs can resist scratching by wire-wool ;)
Why do I doubt that?

Apparently they need a stronger coating because the film that stores the data is kept closer to the surface of the disc to decrease refraction.

Soldato
i get bored sometimes and make pretty paterns in CD's by scratching them (obviously old discs i dont need) - i take care of the other discs, but not to the extend i handle them like plutonium.

Caporegime
McDaniel said:
i get bored sometimes and make pretty paterns in CD's by scratching them (obviously old discs i dont need) - i take care of the other discs, but not to the extend i handle them like plutonium.

isnt that what god invented freeserve discs for ?

you used to get them in just about every magazine imaginable.

Soldato
daven1986 said:
bloody hell, cds arent that sensitive. none of my cds are scratched and i dont use cases fullstop. my cds are in a pile, this includes cd-rs. and they all work, so just relax

yer agree. I have this cdr i use in my car, it's been walked over, fallen out of the car - everything - loads of little scratches but still plays fine.

Soldato
~J~ said:
Can't remember where I read it, it was either this week or last, but the average CD only lasts about 10 years anyway before it starts deteriating. And they said they'd last forever!! :p

Thats recordables/rewritables, since they substitute pits for areas that absorb the light :). Printed discs should theoretically last for a very, very long time.

Associate
~J~ said:
Can't remember where I read it, it was either this week or last, but the average CD only lasts about 10 years anyway before it starts deteriating. And they said they'd last forever!! :p

Wasn't that just one guy who kept them not to a radiator/heater?

Associate
Doesn't the little ring around the middle, on the data side, prevent them touching the surface? (it is raised)

I treat mine badly and they work ok. I have trouble with cheap dvdr/cdr but originals seem to go forever :o

Back
Top Bottom