You have £25k - Daily Driver with Track Days

Soldato
This is a completely hypothetical thread due to watching too many YouTube videos. I certainly don't have £25k to spend on a car but thought it would be a fun game:

You have £25k for the car and 5k spare for servicing and all and any repairs that are expected or likely on your chosen car for 3 years. Except tires.
Any money saved on the car can be used to mod the car as wished.
This car needs to be your daily driver for at least 3 years.
It must have 4 usable seats - a 5'10 adult should be able to fit in the rear seats.
It must do at least 160MPH.
It must do 0-60 in less than 6 seconds.
You happen to live near the Nurburgring, have a mate who works there and can drive on for the open laps any day of the week. And you do at least 3 times a week, you also have a mate with a turbo charged, done to the hilt MX5 who you want to get as close too lap time wise as possible, you don't have to beat him but you want to be as close as you can. Whilst still being able to transport the family during the week.

As I said, all completely hypothetical but those are the conditions.

Winner will get e-peen and the awe of OCUK motors?

What would you choose?

Soldato
DO NOT PICK AN AUDI C6 RS6 NO MATTER WHAT :D

From those requirements you're fairly limited to something RWD which negates a lot of cars (possibly Audi RS3 but the back seats feel tight and AWD feels numb) so really you'd be left with something like an E90/E92 M3 which leaves you with about £8k left over for modding/repairs. However if the requirements for top speed and rear "tall adult" seats were relaxed a little you drop into RS Clio/Megane territory which, whilst they may not be 100% as exciting as the RWD M3, they are far "safer" for more novice trackday drivers, they're cheaper to run, repair etc for 3 years and are far more track-based.

Alternatively - Buy 2 cars, a daily runner and a track car. You can get both for well under the £25k requirement :D

Associate
Type R FK2 seems a good match for this.

Maybe not the quickest car you could buy, but probably one of the more focused ones that would suit track use pretty well.

Would only be about three years old as well so should be ultra reliable as a daily as long as it is well looked after following any track abuse.

Last edited:
OcUK Staff
Audi RS4 the older NA V8 model as you can get a nice example for 15-20k, amazing road car and it will do OK on track and it can carry four in comfort.

Not sure if possible within budget but the new M3 turbo model, very good on track and road, on a bigger track it should blow a tuned MX5 away.

New Honda Civic Turbo, have four doors very capable on track and road, also easy to tune to bigger power and suspension mods etc.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
I just don't see track focused and road cars as being genuinely compatible. Sure, it's possible to put road cars on a track, but I can't help but think that you'll end up carrying a lot of lard on track and as already mentioned, face the potential of totalling your road car.
For me, I'd go with a sensible road car, then a dedicated car for track use, that you can fully strip, stick on sticky tyres, optimise the suspension for track use etc.

Soldato
I just don't see track focused and road cars as being genuinely compatible. Sure, it's possible to put road cars on a track, but I can't help but think that you'll end up carrying a lot of lard on track and as already mentioned, face the potential of totalling your road car.
For me, I'd go with a sensible road car, then a dedicated car for track use, that you can fully strip, stick on sticky tyres, optimise the suspension for track use etc.

Yea, it is a risk. Not just a crash but the car actually breaking from being thrashed so hard.

Get a cheap road car and spend the rest on a track rocket :)

Last edited:
Soldato
You'd need another 25k just in fuel if hitting the 'ring that much :eek:

I'd have to go 2 cars, 10k on each and 5k in the bank for stuff you'll break on the track car. A single car would be far to compromised for either task imo.

Associate
Yea, it is a risk. Not just a crash but the car actually breaking from being thrashed so hard.

Get a cheap road car and spend the rest on a track rocket :)

Agree, same reason I would not track my motorbike as I only have one. If I had another bike for road use then it's ok, but chances of something breaking/crashing on track are too high to have it all tied up in one vehicle. The £10k on each and £5k in the back pocket for maintenance/upgrades/reduced worry seems like the best approach.

Otherwise, throw caution to the wind and buy a VXR8 Bathurst Edition.

Back
Top Bottom