1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Younger brothers PC's crashing in WOW

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Werewolf, 17 Feb 2006.

1. Werewolf

Commissario

Hi

Younger brothers PC seems to have a minor problem when playing World of Warcraft, after a couple of hours it seems to crash (blue screening) with a buzzing/screaching sound.

I'm guessing it's probably the soundcard drivers as it only started happening after we updated them to try and solve a problem with the volume varying whenever he changed the active window whilst playing WOW.

His system is

AMD 64 x2 4400
    Asus A8N-32 SLI deluxe
    2x 1024mb PC3200 (Crucial)
    Samsung 120gb IDE
    Samsung 160gb SATA
    Creative Audigy 2
    Windows XP (not 64)
    All the latest drivers etc

Any known problems with Audigy 2's and dual core CPU's, or WOW and duel core CPU's?

2. mysticsniper

Sgarrista

Does sound like an overheating problem, what are the temps like? Is your bro doing any overclocking on his system as well. Does his system crash just on WOW, or on any other games when playing for a few hours?

:)

3. Zefan

Don

No graphics card? I'd say that is most likely the problem, either that or the RAM is dodgy. MEMTEST'll tell you that.

4. Werewolf

Commissario

oops

it's a 7800GT for the video card :p

Temps seem to stick at around the 40c mark.

I'll try running memtest

5. SkeeterUK

Capodecina

Is WOW patched up ok?

New audigy 2 drivers just come out very recently try these new drivers. Maybe its a codec issue? Lots of games have bad codec priorty according to one games tech suport guy.

Defrag possibly, if it doesnt help at least it helps ** hdd hehe. Try asking on WOW forums as they would know better if audigy 2 new drivers cause any problems.

I wouldnt say its ram if its just because of a driver change for soundcard as you said thats only when the problem started.

If all else fails you might just have to revert to your previous sound drivers untill creative do some new ones and hope they fix the issue.

Also dunno if its the same but theres a thread about audigy and WOW problems here

Last edited: 17 Feb 2006
  6. ultim

Hitman

I had a similar problem and it was my grx card overheating. I suggest u make sure the grx temp is accurate, maybe from the bios?

7. Scythe

Soldato

Hey, are you sure that the WOW exe is set to affainity 0 or 1? Not both.

8. Kaiju

Mobster

Tell your bro to play a decent game. ;)

9. BigDom

Wise Guy

Any reason for saying that?

1) AFAIK WoW supports multi processors.
    2) It'll never use the second core anyway... It really is a low processor use game.