Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
Here is the results from my tapwater.

tapwater.jpg

And here are the results from my tank this morning

tanklevels050220173.jpg

I have just done another 15% water change.

Last edited:
Transmission breaker
Don
OP
That's a high nitrate reading for tap water. Have you give the tester bottles a good shake before you took the tests?

Also, I think you need to do high range PH as it's off the normal scale.

Soldato
Thats an outragous reading for tap water. Looks like 80ppm on my phone.

Your ammonias much better, goldfish are dirt machines so without overfiltering or a huge tank i honestly dont expext you to get it to 0.

Also goldfish could seemingly survive in toxic waste.

Just keep up with the water changes for a few more days and see if you can get the levels any lower your doing the right thing

Last edited:
Soldato
When I did a high level ph test it was at the second, so the ph level is at 7.7

with my tap water being so high with nitrate, is that a major issue for me? the tap water was between 20-40.
And yes I did the shakes/drops by the book.

Last edited:

V F

V F

Soldato
Impressive looking through peoples setups several pages back and all their backup equipment. Batteries and such. Wish I had all this information when I was into this in 96 - 2002.

Soldato
New Betta, the picture really does him no justice, he's a shiny almost oil like silver with hues of red and blue depending on the angle/light.

9jPnkck.jpg

Currently has a few ember tetra to keep him company and so far there all pretty tame, we shall see though!

Soldato
New tank settling well, all fish very happy. Swordtails pregnant again so more babies to try fight for there lives.

Noticed iv been dosing just over double easy carbo for a week, Oops! I know double is safe and harmless to fish/plants but as iv got Cherry red shrimp they get quite irritated by it and often do die. Iv been dosing my nano at 2x for a year without issue although its a lot more heavily planted in comparison and has a thick carpet going on now and iv about 50-100 crs in there alive and happy. Probably going to cut back and slowly ramp back up to 1.5x over 2 weeks to avoid also melting my vals off

Best of luck with the betta :) I miss mine but he was agressive towards everything so im glad hes gone at times too

Caporegime
Soldato
Havent checked if this aloud (cant see why not) but am upgrading my RO unit

Current one is 50 gallons per day and being replaced with 150 gpd unit as bigger reef tank now.

Obviously 50 gpd one is going spare so if anyones after one and wants to collect it
From essex to save it going in the bin next week they more than welcome.

Its a 4 stage unit with a di resin filter just made 100ltrs of ro and it came out at 4tds so still good (i dont replace resin untill it gets to 10tds)

Associate
I am waiting on my new 425litre to be delivered and I am still undecided on which substrate to get for my planted tank, I keep looking at the Eco complete, but I can see this getting very expensive as I will need a lot of bags.

Keep seeing the Black Diamond Blasting Sand come up on the US forums, cant seem to find anywhere in the UK for this?

What would you guys recommend?

Soldato
Got my tank 'dirted' couldn't bring myself to spend £75 on Eco Complete. Small bag of cheap potting soil from Wilko and capped it with some black gravel I got off ebay. You just need to pick out the sticks, use a colander or something to pull them out.

You only want to do a maximum of 1" of dirt with 1" of gravel on top. I would do 0.5-0.75" my self and leave a channel at the front and sides so you don't have to look at it. If want to boost the iron you can put some clay in the bottom, you don't need much, just use little pea sized balls.

The down side to 'dirting' is if you pull up a plant it makes one hell of a mess. You have to do it really carefully.

Back
Top Bottom