Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
The US has some great acrylic sumps. Before I settled on the DD reef pro, I was looking at doing a custom tank with acrylic sump. Must have emailed about 4 companies, and none of them had a UK outlet.

Yeah i had a look at some usa sites some really nice ones, found a couple of uk ones just need to come up with a design once i get my cabinet size, looking at a grand for one from what i have read.

Soldato
Going to start stock piling gear for new tank this year to ease the coinage burden in one go :D

The problem with buying stuff way in advance is that new gens of stuff come out. By the time they built my tank the newer ai's came out, and I ended up changing the order as it didn't feel right not having the latest ones. :D

Soldato
The problem with buying stuff way in advance is that new gens of stuff come out. By the time they built my tank the newer ai's came out, and I ended up changing the order as it didn't feel right not having the latest ones. :D

Heh, need 1 more gen 5 won't be changing that for a while so that's safe, bigger nyos skimmer, I'm more excited about having a refugium with lots of copepods in.

Associate
Going to start stock piling gear for new tank this year to ease the coinage burden in one go :D

Yeah it feels better psychologically if you do it that way haha. And the Mrs won't notice how much you're spending :cool:.

This is what I need, more life. Because I went down the real reef rock route, the tank is lacking a lot of the good stuff.

Start dosing phyto if you aren't already. I decided I wanted to give a mandarin a try so started dosing the Reefphyto super concentrated stuff about 6 months prior to getting one. My tank was and still is absolutely crawling to the extent that I don't even really need to harvest from my pod cultures. Of course the little bugger then decided he was perfectly ok eating frozen, pellet and flake alongside pods. If your tank doesn't have any micro fauna then try and get hold of a piece of real live rock as well. I heard white corals have some good stuff at the moment and are still shipping.

Soldato
Start dosing phyto if you aren't already. I decided I wanted to give a mandarin a try so started dosing the Reefphyto super concentrated stuff about 6 months prior to getting one. My tank was and still is absolutely crawling to the extent that I don't even really need to harvest from my pod cultures. Of course the little bugger then decided he was perfectly ok eating frozen, pellet and flake alongside pods. If your tank doesn't have any micro fauna then try and get hold of a piece of real live rock as well. I heard white corals have some good stuff at the moment and are still shipping.

Thanks, good post! I was in the process of adding copedpods from a couple of cultures I'd set up, when the tank crashed in December. Too much too soon.:(

I'm now coming out of that and have been slowly getting the beneficial stuff from the corals I've been adding. And I'll be getting some cheato that's teeming with life.

Soldato
Thanks, good post! I was in the process of adding copedpods from a couple of cultures I'd set up, when the tank crashed in December. Too much too soon.:(

I'm now coming out of that and have been slowly getting the beneficial stuff from the corals I've been adding. And I'll be getting some cheato that's teeming with life.

How did the tank crash, i lost my nano through a crash, i put it down to small tank and not enough care as i was working away a lot, closed it down now and just big tanks for me for now on due to my work load.

Soldato
How did the tank crash, i lost my nano through a crash, i put it down to small tank and not enough care as i was working away a lot, closed it down now and just big tanks for me for now on due to my work load.

The short version is..
The real reef rock didn't have enough bioload to cope with the fish. Disease took out a yellow tang, Lamarck's Angel, 2 clownfish and a male Lyretail & harem. It was a bloodbath.

Soldato
Please can I have some suggestions for good imitation plants that look and move realistically?

I've given up on a planted tank and have fake ones in there but the Mrs says I even manage to make fake plants look dead!

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
I just had my tropical fish tank crash over the weekend and most of my fish died :( . I got to be honest it was neglect on my part for not doing frequent water changes and big mistake cleaning the filter using tap water on 2 successive weeks which most likely killed all the good bacteria.

Ammonia - 0.5
PH - was almost 9!!!! :eek:
Nitrate - 100+

So after going treatment after a week.

Ammonia - 0.5ish
PH - 7.5
Nitrate - 20 (i realise this will not go down immediately and will take time. I dont have real plants and should have got a little drift wood which could have helped)

I just wanted to make sure i avoid doing the same noob mistakes again. On average how frequent should i do the water changes? (i normally aim for 30% amount) but wasnt sure if that should per week or month? and how often should you clean your filter (obviously with the aquarium tank water) again (a month perhaps?)

Thanks

Associate
The short version is..
The real reef rock didn't have enough bioload to cope with the fish. Disease took out a yellow tang, Lamarck's Angel, 2 clownfish and a male Lyretail & harem. It was a bloodbath.

Velvet? I think if you're going with tangs then a QT process is a must. Even if you aren't then it's risky, any issues are a nightmare to sort out. I made the mistake of going observational only a couple of times and got hit with flukes + internal parasites. Never again!

Back
Top Bottom