Your current Fish tank Setups!

Soldato
While I'm stuck in lockdown putting a move on hold i've been looking into potential new tanks.

looking at 5x2.5x2 or 6x3x2 potentially for freshwater. I know some people here have similar setups but most are probably salt. What general advice would you give for a tank like that. Any shortfalls I might not be seeing. I know evaporation will be annoying and co2 will be pricer but otherwise seems like a good large tank that you dont need to climb into to clean.
Well my freind, i can help you hear.

if you look back a few pages you’ll see pics of my 7x3x2 freshwater setup.

There isn’t really any difference between a larger and smaller tank. Before i had a 6x2x2.

but you need to think of how your gonna filter it. And if your gonna be dosing co2 for plants it’ll be a lot more. Plus heating a tank that big. Plus water changes.

what size tank do you have now ?

Associate
Well my freind, i can help you hear.

if you look back a few pages you’ll see pics of my 7x3x2 freshwater setup.

There isn’t really any difference between a larger and smaller tank. Before i had a 6x2x2.

but you need to think of how your gonna filter it. And if your gonna be dosing co2 for plants it’ll be a lot more. Plus heating a tank that big. Plus water changes.

what size tank do you have now ?
currently 0 tanks. got rid if them pending the move but i had a couple 40L nano tanks in my flat. have had 100L+ tanks before but no really large tanks.

Got most things figured out. Have a rough sump sketch, water change by python. Water butt in the garden for the old water. Co2 wont be cranked up all the way but want to support a heavily planted easy to care for tank.

Heating will take care of its self as this is going to be in thailand. may require chillers, will see. the space i have in mind is indoors but with open wall areas, lots of circulation etc.

Associate
just found this thread, so going back around 25 years since i had a simple tropical setup, approx 3' wide 2' deep and 2' high very rough sizes, had it for a few years till i got a leak at the glass so sold up as i was worried about flooding downstairs neighbours, so dipping back in what manufacturers are recommended in this day and age and what about leaks springing up ?
Thanks

Associate
In reference to above I wouldn't worry to much about a tank leaking. Get a good stand and mat on it so everything is flat. Most tanks will be fine under those circumstances. Can get a tank with a rim and braced if you want to be extra cautious.

I've been busy mocking up my future tank while I'm stuck here trying to visualize things and have seen a big error in my plans and wanted to ask some advice to any structural engineers or people who have build DIY stands previously. Below is my plan. The stand is made using 2x6's and the stand is 5x3x3 ft for a 5x3x2 tank. The planned sump is 4x2x1.5.
X1IOBt6.png
CaqWNMx.png
The vertical braces are 6 inches wide on both sides so there's zero clearance for my 2ft wide to slide into the 3ft wide stand. When building the stand I'll aim to make it 1 inch longer and wider to account for shortcomings so the tank doesn't overhang the stand but I'm still not 100% the sump will fit. Is it safe to replace one of the 2x6's with a 2x4 or would having one leg being weaker than the others be a big no no? Is it better to just sand down the legs a bit if I have problems sliding the sump in?

Also in true fishkeeping fashion should I just say screw it and go for 6ft long tank with a metal stand and throw the plans in the bin because bagger's always better.?

Soldato
Does anyone use "biohome" filter media? I'm starting to think it's causing me issues :/

I've had a problem with some fish flashing for a while, but no other symptoms and the fish don't actually seem to be ill. The biohome media appears to be slowly turning in to very fine dust and getting in to the tank (I can see clouds of red dust coming off the glass when I clean it). I suspect it's causing irritation when fish dig in the substrate.

Soldato
I don't think cleaning was the problem. It's been in over a year and it's slowly disintegrating. Every time I clean out the canister I find larger bits of red sand at the bottom.

Best to stick with ceramic media I think :/

Associate
I don't think cleaning was the problem. It's been in over a year and it's slowly disintegrating. Every time I clean out the canister I find larger bits of red sand at the bottom.

Best to stick with ceramic media I think :/
yeah. part of the problem with some of the pricey media is that while its really good it doesn't last and makes a big old mess. I'm planning to keep it very basic in the future

Soldato
My clowns have been breeding today. Is their first batch of eggs. I dont have the equipment to keep the fry alive right now but at least it means my tank is doing well!

x5H5nTS.jpg

Soldato
Just wondering if anyone has ever managed to rescue a poorly fish? I don't mean fungul but when they get lethargic and sit on the bottom struggling to stay upright. Over the years I've had a few go like this and no matter the medicine and increased water changes I've yet to have one recover. :(

Associate
Does anyone use "biohome" filter media? I'm starting to think it's causing me issues :/

I've had a problem with some fish flashing for a while, but no other symptoms and the fish don't actually seem to be ill. The biohome media appears to be slowly turning in to very fine dust and getting in to the tank (I can see clouds of red dust coming off the glass when I clean it). I suspect it's causing irritation when fish dig in the substrate.

In my old 300 litre tank I had Biohome media but I had no issues with red dust, I didn't even clean the media before I put it into the tank.

When I finally set my tanks up again I think I'm just going to go back to Alfa Grog its cheaper and I didn't really notice any difference in the two when doing water tests.

Soldato
In my old 300 litre tank I had Biohome media but I had no issues with red dust, I didn't even clean the media before I put it into the tank.

When I finally set my tanks up again I think I'm just going to go back to Alfa Grog its cheaper and I didn't really notice any difference in the two when doing water tests.

I use Alfagrog in my pond filter and have no issues with that.

Soldato
Anyone interested in rehoming...

2 blue chromis
1 sailfin tang
1 coral beauty
1 maroon clown
Hermits and snails
1 large leather
1 very large tree type thing that I keep forgetting the name of.

Paddock Wood in Kent?

Soldato
After starting out in the hobby 18mths ago with a 60 ltr freshwater I've bought a 190ltr corner tank, really looking forward to getting it cycled and transferring the fish.

It'll be like moving into a mansion for them :)

Soldato
Anyone interested in rehoming...

2 blue chromis
1 sailfin tang
1 coral beauty
1 maroon clown
Hermits and snails
1 large leather
1 very large tree type thing that I keep forgetting the name of.

Paddock Wood in Kent?

got a pic?

i would poss take the snails hermits add the leather

the “tree” Is it a kenya tree?

Soldato
Could use some help.

Posted this awhile back, I lost my tank a few months back. Small tank with just some tetra's and shrimp.

ZykYsvF.jpg

1 day I notice the water is suddenly cloudy so I do a massive water change, situation didn't improve so I ended up doing more water changes over the following days. At 1 point I ended up doing a water change at 4 in the morning because I noticed how bad things looked when I got up for a glass of water. Fish were gasping and shrimp were trying to escape.
The next day I threw the towel in, saved all the fish/shrimp I could and gave them to the local fish shop. Then I scraped the tank. It's still sitting empty.
This all happened around the beginning of March.

This all coincided with me changing my RO water supplier, my usual place shut down and so I had to go elsewhere.
Wanting to get to the bottom of things I ordered a water test kit from ATI labs.
I filled up the water vials and was about to post them off to the labs when the pandemic started, I couldn't get to the post office and just plan forgot about it.

Anyway, I finally posted off the water samples and got my results back.

The ask to send tank water and RO water, but both of my vials contain just RO water. So there's 2 sets of tests, but both should be the same.

Can anyone look through these results and see if there's anything wrong with the water?

Test 1 "Tank Water"

ebjd1uY.jpg
BHAaSzf.jpg
wj8Uyju.jpg

Test 2 "RO Water"

MfwJBgM.jpg
ESSntc0.jpg
SgumMLI.jpg

Back
Top Bottom