Your current Fish tank Setups!

Associate
Any thoughts on petsathome fish points? I went in and asked for 3 fish for a 30L cube, and I came away with 3 small anglefish. 4 fish points each for a tank with a 30/2 = 15 fish point rating.

But research suggests even 1 fish would struggle in this tank. Or perhaps there are different angel fish breeds? But I fear they will grow

Soldato
Angel fish are completely inappropriate for a tank that size. In a 30L tank you are only looking at a handful of the smallest fish available and a few shrimp, alternatively a better would be a good fit. Angel fish get pretty big by comparison to something like a small tetra/rasbora.

I’m not familiar with their bubble points system but generally speaking I think those sorts of rules are ‘okay’ if you are looking at appropriately sized fish for the tank.

As you have seen though, it clearly doesn’t work when you don’t consider this point.

Associate
Angel fish are completely inappropriate for a tank that size. In a 30L tank you are only looking at a handful of the smallest fish available and a few shrimp, alternatively a better would be a good fit. Angel fish get pretty big by comparison to something like a small tetra/rasbora.

I’m not familiar with their bubble points system but generally speaking I think those sorts of rules are ‘okay’ if you are looking at appropriately sized fish for the tank.

As you have seen though, it clearly doesn’t work when you don’t consider this point.

Yeah, I think the shop messed up. I should have done my research. The fish tbf are very small right now, and might be a dwarf breed, charitably.... but I suspect not. The more I read about these fish, the less likely it seems that keeping 3 in a 30L tank is good advice.

However the fish point system does clearly state the numbers should work... will enquire!

Soldato
Any thoughts on petsathome fish points? I went in and asked for 3 fish for a 30L cube, and I came away with 3 small anglefish. 4 fish points each for a tank with a 30/2 = 15 fish point rating.

But research suggests even 1 fish would struggle in this tank. Or perhaps there are different angel fish breeds? But I fear they will grow

My angel fish is probably just shy of the size of my hand so not small and I wouldn't want to see one in any less than 180l. I suspect someone has messed up there with the points system decision.

A 30l is perfect for a beta, or a few of the small fish but not much else imo :)

Associate
My angel fish is probably just shy of the size of my hand so not small and I wouldn't want to see one in any less than 180l. I suspect someone has messed up there with the points system decision.

A 30l is perfect for a beta, or a few of the small fish but not much else imo :)

A hand, that's about 4x the size of the baby 3cm angels I have! But they are lovely. I'm tempted to keep them a while in my main 100L tank before I rehome them... probably shouldn't though. Will do research next time .

Soldato
They all start off small but they get big.

There aren’t any dwarf species as far as I aware. There are massive ones though that get as big as a side plate!

Soldato
Yea and they will eat small fish eventually :D

They wont hurt corydoras though since they have barbs in their fins. I picked one up once and they are sharp!

Associate
Hi all, can someone offer me some advice? I've got a new tank it's been running for around 7 weeks with fish in for around 4.

I seem to have had a population explosion of snails, I've counted at least 20 today!

I only noticed 1 initially about a week or so after putting in some plants, so I think he hitchhiked on one of them.

I don't mind the little fellas but they are so tiny and I think it's really going to make cleaning the tank a bit more difficult trying not to suck them up!

Anyone else had anything similar, how did you manage them?

Soldato
They will have hitched a lift on one of the plants you put in. They are considered a pest so I wouldn’t worry about sucking them up. They can also breed like crazy, you only need one and before you know it you have a colony.

They are pretty tough to get rid of if you don’t want them though, especially if you have or plan on keeping shrimp. There are lots of tactics to get rid of them, some are better than others. I would start picking them out where you can, before you realise it you might have 100+.

The other thing to consider is that these snails feed off waste food. A snail explosion is a sign that you might be over feeding.

Associate
Why does keeping shrimp make it more difficult? I don't have any at the moment.

Not overly fussed with them, the kids get excited spotting them and I did plan to get snails at some point. Just don't really want too many more of them!

Great advice on the over feeding I'll take it on board and reduce the feed somewhat.

Thank you

Soldato
Irc you can use copper additives to get rid of them but that also kills shrimps. Some Loaches are pretty nifty at getting rid of them or at least keeping them in check!
I wouldn't worry about vacuuming them up. For every one you see there will be 10 more hidden away!

Associate
You can make or buy a snail trap aswell to help reduce the numbers. Not going to be as effective if you have shrimp because they are going to eat the food/bait aswell but they should leave the trap as you pull it out.

Soldato
Finally getting the hang of the alkatronic now. Has taken some dialling in to get it testing right, alk now roughly where i want it (7.8-8.2) so can let it start to dose now.

Had some initial problems as i mixed the reagent wrong but testing equal to manual testing now

qi8XH3G.jpg

Soldato
I know, not very comforting to see copper in the water.
I don't understand the values, is it just a trace amount you expect to see.

Still, for RO water I would expect everything to be 0!

RO should remove ions so it sounds like a rupture or defective membrane.

Soldato
Hi all, can someone offer me some advice? I've got a new tank it's been running for around 7 weeks with fish in for around 4.

I seem to have had a population explosion of snails, I've counted at least 20 today!

I only noticed 1 initially about a week or so after putting in some plants, so I think he hitchhiked on one of them.

I don't mind the little fellas but they are so tiny and I think it's really going to make cleaning the tank a bit more difficult trying not to suck them up!

Anyone else had anything similar, how did you manage them?

If it's those small snails they are ok to leave really. They won't eat plants only algae. Goldfish will eat them whole. But they will also eat shrimp if they can catch them.

Anyway. Moving from a 2ft to a 4ft tank this week (once the cabinet arrives). Just need to find someone to help me lift it in place :/

Back
Top Bottom