Your current Fish tank Setups!

Don
With tank cycling the only cure is time. Did you dose the nitrite or has that been produced as a byproduct of the ammonia processing?

I assume the filter is something pumped?

Don
To be honest, your water change probably did more damage than good when trying to cycle. What dechlorinator did you use?

[Edit] That filter has a built in ammonia remover... I'd guess that you're not actually seeding the filter material very well since the filter is removing it?

Last edited:

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Could it be the provided tank filter not having enough filtration ability to bring the levels down?

Tank is a Marina Vue 87 with a Marina i60 internal filter : http://uk.hagen.com/Aquatic/Filtration/Internal/A306

Just need to give it time for the level of good brateria to build up and break down the Nirites. That fact you have some Nitrates shows that it is breaking down the Nirites.

Soldato
My first tank took 6 weeks.

Mine too. The only way you can speed it up is add in a bottle of bacteria or some used filter media from another tank.

What are people doing to keep there tanks cool in this weather.

My tanks are up to 29C now. Ive been putting bottles of cold water n but not making a huge difference.

Blow a fan over the surface but keep an eye on evaporation. Personally I’d only take action if there was a risk of fish loss, most tropicals will tolerate that heat for short periods without issue.

Soldato
Could it be the provided tank filter not having enough filtration ability to bring the levels down?

Tank is a Marina Vue 87 with a Marina i60 internal filter : http://uk.hagen.com/Aquatic/Filtration/Internal/A306

The filter looks fine for that tank size, as others have said you just need to give it time.

While the filter has a concentration of bacteria, all surfaces in the tank will be covered in it (once cycled!). Contrary to the internet’s view, you don’t tend to need huge filters to support life in sensibly stocked fish tanks.

New tanks take a long time to build up the bacteria as you are starting at effectively zero.

Soldato
The filter looks fine for that tank size, as others have said you just need to give it time.

While the filter has a concentration of bacteria, all surfaces in the tank will be covered in it (once cycled!). Contrary to the internet’s view, you don’t tend to need huge filters to support life in sensibly stocked fish tanks.

New tanks take a long time to build up the bacteria as you are starting at effectively zero.
Got it :)
Just wish my 9 year was as patient :p

Waiting for that tank to cycle he twisted my arm to get another tank for tropical fish. I thought buying used would be a better option, (to save time cycling) so picked up a Fluval Roma 240 on Monday and he chose some decorations to go in it. The tank came with some fish so we will stick with those for a while until we are a little more fish keeper confident. He loves it and spends a lot of time watching them.

Fish
6 Rainbow fish
15 Neon Tetras
12 Rummy Nose Tetras
14 Corydoras.
5 Yo Yo Loaches.
1 Otto
1 Bristlenose Pleco

51328140128_999c9152fb_b.jpg

Soldato
Not a fan of these tanks with sunken ships, bubble divers skulls etc, tank will look so much better with a natural look and keep the boy more interested long term , aqua soil root wood and easy to care plants look so much better.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
I have to agree, fish love a good natural environment. Rocks, wood, sand, plants, all good stuff.

Going away for a week so added a smart feeder that I can control and the light is also on the same routine.

O0mh7El.jpg

Sparkles doing well.

oIq5MPw.jpg

Got a fair amount of hair like algae at the moment, bit of a pain.

Soldato
I've spent the vast majority of my life owning tropical and marine systems, but haven't done so for the last 10ish years. Looking to get a small cube system for my daughter to set up over the summer. Any recommendations? Nothing huge, maybe 30 to 40L with a stand included. Ideally with all the filtration hidden either to 1 side or the back of the tank plus a decent LED light.

Soldato
Nice set ups here, i used to keep them as a child, in the end i had a tank full of convict cichlids because they started breeding in my tank and i could only sell or give so many to the local fish shop at the time. I couldnt kill them so just ended up taking over my tank and turns out they were quite nasty too

Back
Top Bottom