Your experience with OLED burn-in

Associate
That looks worse than a processor causing that? Look at the diameter of that green blob, it's huge.
Agreed. I read on another TV forum that the processors were to blame. It is known as the green haze - strange that while the TV is on you cannot see it apart from on skin tones.

Soldato
Can anyone tell me of retailers they've dealt with re: burn in/IR who have been nice and replaced?

I'm about to dump £5000 on the 77'' panel but I'm fearful of burning it in and having to go through big issues to get it fixed.

Man of Honour
I purchased my OLED C7 back in March 2017 and recently noticed a green blob in the centre of the screen. I did lots of research and it appears to be a defect (processor unit being warm causing damage behind the screen). However, there appears to also be some image retention at the bottom of the screen as per the attached picture. I contacted the Richersounds Ops Manager who has been very helpful. They claim that it isn't covered under warranty but would facilitate a free/warranty replacement panel direct with LG and loan me a unit. They have also offered me a trade-in or discount on a new TV, I asked about QLED and OLED options:

QLED prices are below
Without trade in:
QE65Q85R - £840
QE65Q90R - £1130
QE65Q70T - £1300
QE65Q80T - £1600

With trade in:
QE65Q85R - £390
QE65Q90R - £680
QE65Q70T - £850
QE65Q80T - £1150

OLED prices are below:
Without trade in:
65B9 - £1115
65C9 - £1340
65E9 - £1420

With trade in:
65B9 - £660
65C9 - £890
65E9 - £970

So, I don't want to end up in the same position with a defective OLED in two more years so thinking about QLED and read the Q90R is the best option on the list. What are your thoughts? I have a bright living space with bi-folding doors behind me and a south facing garden thus, by all accounts, the QLED sounds like the sensible option but I do love the quality of OLED. I don't game and have been very careful with how we use the TV - no Sky Q pausing etc.

I am leaning towards the Q90R or C9. Is there night and day difference between the C7 and C9 or even C7 vs B9? Thanks for any feedback.

RS told me that because LG consider it a non defect and user error - it isn’t covered. But LG will do a goodwill panel replacement for £250 all in (packaging, collection, repairs and delivery) and RS will refund me the £250 out of warranty cost. RS will offer a discount on a new TV or a trade in price - it sounds like I’ll have to allow a repair before anything more can be offered and because LG would be doing the repair, I imagine LG won’t have any issues sourcing panels etc.

I had the exact same thing with my C7, sent it back a couple of months back and had a new panel fitted under warranty through Currys. Looked identical to yours with the burn in at the bottom too. Accepted it will happen again eventually, as like you, they told me it's a processor flaw and the heat transfer, but I plan on getting the CX anyway

Associate
I had the exact same thing with my C7, sent it back a couple of months back and had a new panel fitted under warranty through Currys. Looked identical to yours with the burn in at the bottom too. Accepted it will happen again eventually, as like you, they told me it's a processor flaw and the heat transfer, but I plan on getting the CX anyway
Thanks buddy. I have seen comments from others that state as part of the panel swap, they also replace the processor cables with thicker cables to help with heat retention - plus mentions that the panel is providing a better picture. Have you noticed a better picture since getting the unit back and how long did your repair take through Currys?

I have decided not to take them up on their upgrade offer, take the warranty repair and if it returns again in 2 years use then I'll take them up on an upgrade offer at that point to something even more amazing - as you can see above, there are some fab discounts on offer but as others have pointed out, the C9 isn't worth the £890 upgrade fee over the C7 right now.

Man of Honour
Thanks buddy. I have seen comments from others that state as part of the panel swap, they also replace the processor cables with thicker cables to help with heat retention - plus mentions that the panel is providing a better picture. Have you noticed a better picture since getting the unit back and how long did your repair take through Currys?.

They picked it up on the Monday and it arrived back on the Friday. So was pretty quick given I was told up to 28 days.

Unfortunately, they didn't specify exactly what work they did other than "Replace panel" on the paperwork, so doesn't say if they did that but hopefully they did as I'd like to keep the TV for my office/bedroom even when it's replaced. Can't say I've noticed a better picture other than enjoying being able to watch TV without colours changing as people move around from the centre of the screen. It's why I'm gutted football has stopped, I gave up watching football with the TV as it was as the greens of the pitch looked horrible as they were different shades of green around the middle third of the TV, now I've got the TV back, sport has stopped can't even enjoy it :p

Associate
They picked it up on the Monday and it arrived back on the Friday. So was pretty quick given I was told up to 28 days.

Unfortunately, they didn't specify exactly what work they did other than "Replace panel" on the paperwork, so doesn't say if they did that but hopefully they did as I'd like to keep the TV for my office/bedroom even when it's replaced. Can't say I've noticed a better picture other than enjoying being able to watch TV without colours changing as people move around from the centre of the screen. It's why I'm gutted football has stopped, I gave up watching football with the TV as it was as the greens of the pitch looked horrible as they were different shades of green around the middle third of the TV, now I've got the TV back, sport has stopped can't even enjoy it :p

That's what I first notice, as the image would pan round, skin tones and greens would look horrible centre on! Funny, no one in my family noticed until I pointed it out. Glad the repair was less then a week. COVID-19 means there's a delay in my repair.

Got me thinking about the CX, I could ask RS for a trade-in/upgrade price on that? Just did some reading and it sounds incredible. Do you know when it is available in the UK?

Soldato
John Lewis are spot on with returns for IR and burn in.

I wouldn’t drop £5000 on the 77” C model personally as there’s no way it’s worth that when you consider some people have just picked up 65” C9’s for £1500. Each to their own though.

Yeah the value proposition falls off a cliff for 77'' Models.

I personally think 77'' CX borders onto home cinema territory. 65'' is way too tiny for me personally (viewing distance 2.5M). It does the job for 16:9 content but anything with black bars looks horrible.

It sucks that the bigger screens are SOO much more expensive. I cant be arsed waiting a year for the price to come down on it (No doubt it'll hit 3k by next year).

I've heard John Lewis are actually really bad. On another uk based forum, a lot of users had issues with JL :( They were even being obstructive towards sending engineers out to inspect the problem, saying the onus is on the customer to get it checked when outside the first year.

Associate
I posted in here just over a year ago re my LG C6 65 inch which had some bad screen burn from normal use. Currys replaced the panel and I've been happy as pie ever since (despite losing the 3D function due to a newer panel).

Fast forward to now, for the past week I've noticed a brand new issue arise which I now can't un-see. Out of nowhere a vertical line has appeared in the centre of the screen - this only seems to affect red pixels again which suggests screen burn! Gutted isn't the word.

https://imgur.com/a/0ub9Oqm
0ub9Oqm

I've amped up the picture a bit to show this more clearly. It almost looks like a fold in the screen, as it affects red - faces on screen are affected and it's seriously distracting. I can't think of anything that's even been displayed which has a vertical line or box, the screen has only ever been used as a TV with conservative dark room settings.

Has anyone else seen this happen?

I should probably wait a few weeks for the apocalypse to subside and give it a chance to recover by itself before calling Currys again! All I can think is I have a lemon of a set with internals that slowly destroy whichever panel is put on.

V F

V F

Soldato
I posted in here just over a year ago re my LG C6 65 inch which had some bad screen burn from normal use. Currys replaced the panel and I've been happy as pie ever since (despite losing the 3D function due to a newer panel).

Fast forward to now, for the past week I've noticed a brand new issue arise which I now can't un-see. Out of nowhere a vertical line has appeared in the centre of the screen - this only seems to affect red pixels again which suggests screen burn! Gutted isn't the word.

0ub9Oqm

I've amped up the picture a bit to show this more clearly. It almost looks like a fold in the screen, as it affects red - faces on screen are affected and it's seriously distracting. I can't think of anything that's even been displayed which has a vertical line or box, the screen has only ever been used as a TV with conservative dark room settings.

I should probably wait a few weeks for the apocalypse to subside and give it a chance to recover by itself before calling Currys again! All I can think is I have a lemon of a set with internals that slowly destroy whichever panel is put on.

It feels like nearly everything no matter what it is, it's built like utter crap these years.

Associate
Prior to buying an oled, I had 2 Panasonic plasmas which I ran in carefully - I sold both of them on to a family member a long time ago. They're both going strong without any issues at all and are constantly abused with menus and kids TV etc.

Oled, whilst amazing, is clearly not built to last and wasn't ready for the mass consumer market. Hopefully things have improved in the latest models, but mine is a total headache which cost £2000.

If I could get some sort of a refund, I'd rather ditch it completely and buy a budget lcd for anytime viewing and a decent projector for movie watching at night.

Soldato
Apart from the hassle, above examples seem to show Curry's / john lewis, and green-patch vendors have repaired the tv's ...
and even the trade-in values of ~£500 after 3 years look reasonable.

I'm intrigued they have 'lots' of previous generation panels for replacements, and, that that, is economic, as opposed to giving a new tv.

Associate
Apart from the hassle, above examples seem to show Curry's / john lewis, and green-patch vendors have repaired the tv's ...
and even the trade-in values of ~£500 after 3 years look reasonable.

I'm intrigued they have 'lots' of previous generation panels for replacements, and, that that, is economic, as opposed to giving a new tv.
I've pushed and pushed LG for a replacement for the green blob issues outlined above and each time, they have declined - they'll only change the panel for "an out of warranty fee" I'm tempted to accept Richersounds offer to upgrade to the C9 for £890.

Soldato
OK I misunderstood the post ... thought RS were giving you £250 to give to LG for the repair ... as commented ,a processor heating issue sounded a slam dunk.
RS told me that because LG consider it a non defect and user error - it isn’t covered. But LG will do a goodwill panel replacement for £250 all in (packaging, collection, repairs and delivery) and RS will refund me the £250 out of warranty cost. RS will offer a discount on a new TV or a trade in price - it sounds like I’ll have to allow a repair before anything more can be offered and because LG would be doing the repair, I imagine LG won’t have any issues sourcing panels etc.

Soldato

This is an inherent risk. We already knew for years that Heat causes burn in - the easiest way to prevent burn in is to get rid of heat.

So while there are no studies in the topic I'd bet that burn in occurs faster in Australia than the UK because of the heat down under.

Yet there is a easy way to fix this - same way PCs have done it for years, Heatsinks and Fans. Panasonic is already using it on their OLEDs so why is LG so lazy. LG has the components and panel close together where heat is transferred into the pixels, Panasonic have a heatsink on the heat generating components to draw heat out of the back and away from the panel

And so again, there are no studies but is bet Panasonic OLEDs last longer than LG because of the superior heat dissipation

Soldato

0ub9Oqm

Vertical lines are NOT burn in. Unless of course you've had something on your screen shaped like a vertical line displaying constantly and I bet you did not. That's how burn in works, you can't get burn in in a shape that you have not had on the screen - I can't watch a movie about surfing and then get a Ferrari burnt into the screen.

these vertical lines is a hardware failure and will need fixing, you'll need to RMA it

edit: looked at your picture, yeah that's unlikely to be burn in - it looks like something behind the panel is visible through the screen, could be related to the look up table issue maybe? This line may have been there since you got the panel and you only realised now.

Tonight put a 5% grey image on the screen in a pitch black room and take a picture so we can see

Back
Top Bottom