Your Favorite N64 Games?

Soldato
So it would seem back in the day my N64 console ownership was short lived, as some of you have seen i have a Doctor connected to N64 now, so can literally play anything. When i had my N64 the only games i remember having were, Golden Eye, Tommorow never dies, Mission impossible, Killer instinct, Mario Kart, Turok and bomberman, looking at what other games were about for it like, C&C, Caramgeddon, pod racer, i was well into my PC games then, as i played all them on it, so my N64 days must have stopped around that point.

Not looking for massive lists from you, but like top 3/4 games you played :) cheers

Soldato
Too many to narrow it down really.
Mario64
Mariokart (perhaps not a big deal if you have access to some of the newer ones)
Goldeneye/Perfect Dark.
Lylat wars
Spacestation silicon valley
WCW vs NWO

Associate
Top 5 (no order)
  • Conker's Bad Fur Day
  • Perfect Dark/Goldeneye
  • WWF No Mercy
  • Mario 64
  • Banjo-Kazooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day is still probably my favourite game of all time.

Associate
Loads for me with these being some at the time of release that few other games in their genre could compare on any platform including PC.

Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 (Japanese version of the No Mercy series) was the best wrestling and MMA game for a long time. Had No Mercy prior to that, VPW2 miles better in most key areas.

Mario 64 at time of release was maybe the best 3D game that released up till that date. Totally nailed it to the extent it's still one of the most popular speed runner games

Ocarina of Time, just a great action RPG, again one of the best 3D games that had ever been released at that time. Came out the same year as Half Life, pretty good year for gaming.

F Zero X, 60 FPS racing with 29 other opponents in 2000 on console, stripped down graphics to benefit gameplay. Wish more games had that philosophy.

Soldato
Majoras Mask is an absolute must! Thought it was better than OoT...

@PC777 spot on about F-zero X - finish the main game and unlock all the cars then the X cup arrives which randomly generates circuits!! Of all the unbelievable achievements that game made with the 60fps, the ability to randomly generate tracks on a tiny 64 cart is just mind blowing.

Banjo-Kazzoie and Diddy Kong racing are the better versions of Mario 64 and Mario Kart in my option... (need to find my flameproof jacket).

If you want something a bit odd give the Mystical Ninja staring Geomon and the Mystical Ninja 2 a go, both are platformers set in feudal Japan with giant robots... (first is 3D second is 2.5D)

Treasure made 3 games on the console, all well worth a go, Mischief Makers is a 2D platform that's full of style and really challenging, Sin and Punishment is a 3D on rails shooter set in the dystopian future of 2007 and finally the did Bangia-O on the system (the DC version is better and in English but it's worth a mention for the fun of it).

Soldato
So many fantastic games on the N64.

My top five in no particular order:

- Body Harvest
- Ocarina of Time
- Mario Kart 64
- Extreme G
- Mystical Ninja

There were a bunch of others which were great too, Lylat Wars, Perfect Dark, Conquers Bad Fur Day, Diddy Kong Racing etc.

I actually really disliked Majora's Mask, I traded it in immediately after beating it. I think my expectations were in the wrong place in fairness, I wanted Ocarina 2 and the two games are like chalk and cheese.

@pingwing Mystical Ninja was amazing, very odd and quirky. Some of the stuff was hilariously weird. I remember a scene where the two bad guys just burst out into song and do this musical number.

Edit:

Last edited:
Soldato
Usual suspects of:-

Goldeneye
Mario 64 (Must've spent over 6 lifetimes playing this, or at least it feels like it)
Mario Kart
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time (Mind was blown at just the size of this game world)

Left field that no one's mentioned:-

Tetrisphere (This game was absolutely epic and so addictive)

Man of Honour
Top 5 for me (I never owned an N64 but my mate did)

Goldeneye - spent weeks playing this it was incredible
Mario 64 - I was blown away playing this for the first time although I remember buying Tomb Raider 2 for my PS1 and thinking it looked better
Mario Kart 64 - Again like most enjoyed the endless multiplayer on this
Blast Corps - Tremendous; original game - actually forgot Rare did this until it popped up in the recent Rare Replay compilation
Body Harvest - DMA Design (now of GTA / Rockstar North fame) - great game fighting aliens but you could swap vehicles

Associate
Top 5 for me (I never owned an N64 but my mate did)

Goldeneye - spent weeks playing this it was incredible
Mario 64 - I was blown away playing this for the first time although I remember buying Tomb Raider 2 for my PS1 and thinking it looked better
Mario Kart 64 - Again like most enjoyed the endless multiplayer on this
Blast Corps - Tremendous; original game - actually forgot Rare did this until it popped up in the recent Rare Replay compilation
Body Harvest - DMA Design (now of GTA / Rockstar North fame) - great game fighting aliens but you could swap vehicles

Some great choices, I forgot all about Body Harvest, one hell of a game for its time and pretty much laid some basics for GTA 3 in terms of open world design, vehicles and weapons. No where near as good as GTA3 but on an earlier console gen it was pretty impressive though clearly unfinished. At least one future GTA game references Body Harvest to pay their respects, there's a quest called Body Harvest in one of them.

Soldato
Picked an N64 up cheap on a whim, it had a short lived few month window before i got a gamming PC. The draw was to play international superstar soccer 64, literally every magazine was raving on the game over the iss on the PS1, which i liked a lot.

Ultimately i found ISS64 fairly underwhelming, i preferred the pace and style of the PS1 game. The joy to be had from the N64 was definitely Turok for me, but like i say a short lived experience of only about 10 games.

I was definitely a PS1 man, but I liked:
Goldeneye (although leave it as fond memories, it has aged badly)
Zelda Ocarina Of Time
Star Wars Pod Racer
Mario64 (although I played it on the DS in 2015 for the first time...wow it is good!)
Pokemon Stadium

Back
Top Bottom