Your favourite comedian(s)?

Soldato
Stand Up:

Billy Connolly, had a drink with him once when i lived in the same village as him, i think i spat more lager on the bar in laughter than drinking it!

Richard Pryor, very funny. still smokin is a classic.

Dave Allen, Oldie but Goldie (RIP)

Hector Nicol, its a Scottish thing, go look him up

Andrew "The Diceman" Clay, very topical and sometimes a bit OTT, but like he says "i am not racist, i hate everyone" cracks me up

Jack Dee, the master of dry wit and sarcasm

People who i think are funny, although not always stand up:

Ricky Gervais, The Office was untouchable, and Extras is outstanding to, although wasnt very fond of his standup, excellent writer though

Rick Mayal and Ade Edmundson, I know its very dated, but the Young Ones for me is untouchable, as is a good deal of the "comic strip" stuff

Jim Carr, very funny, but has the potential to be an arse at times.

The Monty Python Dudes, i know but i had to mention them

People (or shows)who get raved about for being funny, but i think are awful:

Jennifer Saunders in Ab Fab. it sucks
The Vicar of Dibley, about as funny as a does of the piles.
Joe Pasquale, the man who made a mint from snorting helium
Allan Carr, since when was being an overbearing, balding gay man, funny?

Soldato
i completely forgot rich hall, a very worthy addition to the list
alan carr is crap at stand-up
i would presume peter kay's lack of new material was something to do with people realising he was stealing their stuff and not letting him see any more
there's loads of hostility towards him in the northwest comedy scene because he ripped a lot of peoples stuff off
not to say i dont like the stuff, i do, especially phoenix nights and max and paddy, it's just that it's not his, dave spikey is a much better writer and commands a lot more respect

Associate
Tru said:
A guy I used to hate that now cracks me up is Dave Letterman. OK he's not a stand up and probably has a team of writers, but his delivery is awesome.
See it was the other way round for me. I used to watch him late nights on ITV2 when I couldn't get sleep and found the show to be really quite funny. Now it's just like the same old jokes over and over. He's just stopped trying. And as talented as he and his band are, that Paul Schaffer fellow starts to grate after a while. This show to me has become a parody of itself.

Last edited:
Soldato
The funniest comedian ever was Dave Allen, my other favourites are:

Jasper Carrott
Justin Lee Collins (probably on my own here)
Billy Connolly
Laurel and Hardy

May your god go with you, RIP mate. :)

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Retorted said:
See it was the other way round for me. I used to watch him late nights on ITV2 when I couldn't get sleep and found the show to be really quite funny. Now it's just like the same old jokes over and over. He's just stopped trying. And as talented as he and his band are, that Paul Schaffer fellow starts to grate after a while. This show to me has become a parody of itself.
I watched him the other night and when he said, "We can put a man on the moon, but we still can't put a man on Condeleeza Rice", I was in bits. He was interviewing Donald Trump and mentioned how his hair must create tremendous downforce and his stylist is essentially an aerodynamicist. :D
Big Kev said:
Not at all. JLC is quality, I wish he had his own show rather than piggybacking on all that Channel4 crap.

Soldato
Big Kev said:
I used to hate him, but his enthusiasm for everything he seems to do, no matter how rubbish is quite infectious. I am going to sound totally un-PC, but it's like being in a place for kids with learning difficulties, their situation is totally crap, but the amount of joy they get just from living is quite life-affirming.

Don't think he would cut it at stand up though.

Associate
I have to say, of all the comedians i have seen the absolute best ones have been the non-famous guys out there touring the comedy circuit for a living. There simply is no substitute to live stand up.

Associate
Tru said:
I watched him the other night and when he said, "We can put a man on the moon, but we still can't put a man on Condeleeza Rice", I was in bits. He was interviewing Donald Trump and mentioned how his hair must create tremendous downforce and his stylist is essentially an aerodynamicist. :D
Hahaha. Darn I must be missing all the good shows. I'll have to give him another watch and get back to you :)

Soldato
thought i'd just add to this rather than making a new thread

one of my favourite stand up comics: Jim Jeffries
is doing an edinburgh preview at my (normally) local comedy club, XS malarkey in fallowfield, Manchester, Tomorrow, compered by justin moorhouse of key103, phoenix nights etc etc, also featuring: Adam Bowman, Chris Tavner and Susan Hanks

I think it costs all of £4 if you're not a member
www.xsmalarkey.com for directions etc

if you're in/around Manchester and like stand up i cant recommend this enough

Suspended
Lee Evans Is King!! :cool:

"Car theives operate in this area, Where else would they operate? The number of times I've been driving through the country and theres a coupla car theives in a field like 'You said there'd be cars!' And thanks for telling us! They're not doing anythin about it! You'd hate it if you were getting mugged and a policeman ran over and said, 'He's muggin you, you know? He's running away with all your money"

:p

Permabanned
Zefan said:
I hate to say it but Jimmy Carr.

I think he's the best AT TIMES. When it's not these times he's just an annoying ****.

Billy Conolly too, but I have trouble saying his name more than three times in a row (Try it) so he comes second.

He is NOT annoying, he is very very lush. Your just jealous because you didnt see him, front row centre. AHA :)

So yeah, Jimmy Carr = :D

Associate
Jasper Carrot... reminds me of nights spent in with my dad when I was younger...

Mark Thomas also has some moments of inspiration, and quite like Jimmy Carr as well.

Back
Top Bottom