Your opinion on new PC configuration please

Associate
Graphics and Ram Probs

Hi,

I'm trying to make a decision on choosing the right configuration for a mini ITX from Overclockers, and I' need a pretty powerful PC that won't cough and splutter whilst multi tasking.

At the moment I have an E-Machine desktop with an Intel Pentium CPU 515 running at 2.93Mz. 2MB ram and 160Mb HDD. When I bought this (second hand) I thought it would be pretty powerful setup but it falls down at every turn. I have to run one program permanently (24/7) and everything else I try to do at the same time just crawls. I think I bought a dog!

Anyway I would appreciate any constructive comments on my following choice of components with a view to spend my hard earned dosh wisely.

Case: Mini-ITX Case

Mobo: Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi Mini-ITX (socket 775) PCI Ex DDR2.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 'Yorkfield' 2.83GHz (1333FSB).

CPU Cooler: Arctic cooling freezer 7 Low Profile CPU Cooler.

Ram: Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2 8500C5 Twinx dual channel.

SSD: G.Skill Falcon 128GB 2.5" SATA-II.

Graphics: Saphire ATI Radeon HD 4550 Low Profile 512Mb

Optical Drive: Samsung SN S083C BeBe 8x R/W SATA Slimline Drive OEM.

I was told that OEM periferals do not come with cables therefore I have included a cable for the optical drive and I hope a cable is included with the solid state drive.

Your honest comments would be greatly appreciated. If something is OTT or insufficient or in fact incompatable I would like to know before I commit to buy.

Many thanks
Bob

PS Does anyone know why I cannot post attachments?

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi dobbbies, Welcome to the forums :)

Looks like a powerful multitasking PC there. My main question is why the low-end graphics card when the Zotac motherboard has a Geforce 9300 built in? You could do away with the graphics card and just use that, it should be perfectly fine for desktop use and even HD Video and light gaming.

Also, the motherboard only comes with one sata cable, if I were you just buy another one in case the SSD box doesn't come with one included. Here is one.

You may want to have a look at this SSD, its a good bit cheaper than the GSkill and its very fast (not in stock yet, though).

All else looks great - should be an awesome PC.

Associate
OP
Thank you for your reply and your comments are really appreciated.

The reason I chose a seperate graphics card was because I didn't want the on board graphics soaking up any memory. Also I have been informed that I must use a low profile card in this mini ITX case which limits what I can buy even if I wanted a high end gaming card. Can somebody tell me different?

Regarding the solid state drive; how long would it take to get these drives in stock if I waited?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Hi,

I'm trying to make a decision on choosing the right configuration for a mini ITX from Overclockers, and I' need a pretty powerful PC that won't cough and splutter whilst multi tasking. I would appreciate any constructive comments on my following choice of components with a view to spend my hard earned dosh wisely.

Case: Mini-ITX Case

Mobo: Zotac GeForce 9300-ITX WiFi Mini-ITX (socket 775) PCI Ex DDR2.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 'Yorkfield' 2.83GHz (1333FSB).

CPU Cooler: Arctic cooling freezer 7 Low Profile CPU Cooler.

Ram: Corsair XMS2 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 PC2 8500C5 Twinx dual channel.

SSD: G.Skill Falcon 128GB 2.5" SATA-II.

Graphics: Saphire ATI Radeon HD 4550 Low Profile 512Mb

Optical Drive: Samsung SN S083C BeBe 8x R/W SATA Slimline Drive OEM.

Your honest comments would be greatly appreciated. If something is OTT or insufficient or in fact incompatable I would like to know before I commit to buy.

Many thanks
Bob

Hi

After posting the above message a couple of weeks ago I went ahead and bought the components apart from the graphics card as suggested by "cmndr-andi".
I took the comment as being that the onboard graphics would suffice yet the Vista performance utility only gives the computer a one rating because of the graphics performance. I took Andi's comment as being that the card I was going to buy wouldn't have been any better than the one already onboard. Can anyone recommend therefore a good low profile card that would fit in the ITX case.

Also the computer is only recognising 3MB of ram when it got 4MB fitted, can anyone help please?

Back
Top Bottom