1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your opinions on Halfords...

Discussion in 'Motors' started by jonnyg, 27 Jan 2006.

1. jonnyg

Hitman

Hello,

As a 1 1/2 year member of staff at Halfords, i find myself serving a lot of people, and often, serving people and letting them down, i.e. we cant help them, or we dont have something etc. I was wondering what the national consensus was on the store?

I find some of the protocol quite enraging (i cant mix a can of paint if im the only guy on the parts desk) but at the end of the day, im using my relatively basic general knowledge of cars to help people who really dont have a clue! As a PC user, i find that stores like ** ***** are incredibly pointless and offer no real service to people who actually need help, and i compare Halfords to the motor industry in a similar way.

Sometimes i dont like the idea that people think im a dead-end retard cos i work there, but due to some people who really dont have a clue, and are dead-end retards, we all get tarnished with the same brush!

Anyway, what do you guys think? Is Halfords a quality car parts and accesories store, or is it a '** *****'?

NO COMPETITORS.

Gilly.

</rant>

2. Gilly

Man of Honour

Expensive and poor.

3. LACKERKNACKER

Gangster

As above - over priced in certain items - However different stores different experiences - some parts desk staff 'tosh' others know what they are on about. I tend to use independant motor factors for my requirement

4. Firestar_3x

Caporegime

Very expensive for car audio, wheels aint cheap either, if your lucky you get to speak with someone who knows about cars but this is rare.

If i'm in a rush for something say some car polish i will use them otherwise i stay clear.

5. |-Chris-|

Gangster

I’ve never really found the staff that helpful but for getting an odd generic part or car polish its ok. I get discount from the Vauxhall and Ford Main dealers so I go there for anything else and the person on the dealer parts desk is normally quite helpful.

6. Skii

Mobster

Excellent Acrylic based spray primer, for one ;)

7. burns

Mobster

Expensive, but it is soo useful to have one nearby. They tend to have more stock than smaller indpendant motor factors which is useful, plus our local one is open until 8 for when you realise you don't have the socket you need and need the car for work in the morning.

8. Morba

Caporegime

as burns said, good should you be stuck for something they stock, my local one is in walking distance and open late (during the week)

9. William

Capodecina

Alright, usually have somthing you might need like a cloth or somthing. Also dirty cheap bottles of screenwash because I know someone who works at my local one.

10. Sanchez

Mobster

I think Halford is
    :)
    Seriously though, if you just want a bulb or air freshener then yeah it's okay but many products seems to be very over priced.

11. MrMatteh

Wise Guy

not sure if thats sarcastic or not but yeh, used them for my paint for my wing

was a bit dear (£10/can, 3 cans) but its seems to be good paint, and is a spot on match :)

12. Skii

Mobster

Nope, not sarcastic, I swear by it ;)

13. andi

Capodecina

Depends what your buying, a lot of stuff is over priced, but some bits are about right, and occasionally things like tools are a bargain.

14. xcessive

Wise Guy

It's not bad if you need something and cant wait a couple of days for it to arrive by post if you buy online.
    However, i bought a headunit from there for £150. It was the cheapest price around, it was the same price online at places like CAD and CAS.
    Halfords had free fitting with the headunit and was pleased with the service i received. I was a little surprised when the car audio installer said he parked my car in the car park for me as well (to get the headunit fitted you have to park your car at the back of Halfords in their 'fitting bay').

15. morgan25

Hitman

Tools and open sunday.

16. Creature

Mobster

Hell>Halfords

"What do you know about cars and bikes?"
    "Not a lot"
    "You're hired"

Basis of my interview.

17. Barry Smalley

Wise Guy

Crap, tbh.

18. -westy-

Capodecina

I think they've got some good deals (tools etc)

But mostly they're overpriced :)

19. eidolon

Capodecina

I don't go there a lot but it's handy to have somewhere that carries quite a bit of stock and stays open late. There have been a few times I've needed some silly part on a Sunday evening when everywhere else is shut and they've come to my rescue.

20. Simon

Capodecina

Nice selection of stuff thats easily available. The tools from the professional range are excellent and its a good place to spend though vouchers.

Never bother talking to the people in there unless I can't find something, just like any shop.

Does the job to be fair