Your team's Greatest XI

Soldato
nope, Edwards was a centre half, although he was known to play in midfield from time to time i think.

from the vets at OT, he was something amazing which was sadly cut short.

hmmm, RvN is a much better player than Cantona was at any time in his career.....the stats show that.

Soldato
Originally posted by Afterlife
hmmm, RvN is a much better player than Cantona was at any time in his career.....the stats show that.

Stats show that Van Nistelrooy can score a few tap ins.

The eye shows that Cantona had and still has far more ability on the ball than Van Nistelrooy could ever dream of.

I'm sure even Gilly who I'm sure hates Cantona will agree with that. If he doesn't then he is obviously biased and filled with hate :p

Soldato
Barnsley [Playing 3, 5, 2 - That got us into the premiership]

[Watson]

[Morgan] [De Zeeuw] [Kay]

[Liddell] [Marcelle] [Higgnett] [Glavin] [Barnard]

[Dyer] [Ward]

All bar 1 recent-ish I'm afriad. :)

Man of Honour
Originally posted by [ASSE]Hinchy
Based on own experiences, no pre 1990 players bar Kevin Keegan :D I know of some of our old players eg Jimmy Case but I never really saw them play. I have seen enough of Keegan though for him to warrant a place :p

GK Antti Niemi

DL Wayne Bridge
DR Jason Dodd
CB Dean Richards
CB Claus Lundekvam

ML Fabrice Fernandes
MR Kevin Keegan
DM Carlton Palmer - sure laugh it up, he came to us for a season or two and did a job :p
AM Matthew Le Tissier suprisingly enough!!

FWD Iain Dowie......OOPS!!! NO WAIT!!! Alan Shearer :D
FWD James Beattie

I'd probably have Flowers in goal, with Mark Wright and Neil Ruddock at CB. As for Carlton Palmer.... erm... no :)

Probably should be a place in there somewhere for Channon but like you say he is before our time.

Soldato
GK: Schmeichel

DR: G.Neville
DC: Bruce
DC: Edwards
DL: Silvestre

MR: Beckham
MC: Keane
MC: Robson
ML: Best

SC: Cantona
SC: Law

Substitutes -

GK: Sealey
DC: Pallister
MC: Ince
ML: Giggs
FC: Van Nistelrooy

Not too different to Afterlife's team, but I feel Cantona would be ahead of Ruud at this time.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by [ASSE]Hinchy

I'm sure even Gilly who I'm sure hates Cantona will agree with that. If he doesn't then he is obviously biased and filled with hate :p

I am biased and filled with hate, but I still thought about putting Cantona in my team.

Cantona and Schmeichel were the major catalysts for manyoo's dominance through the 90's and any fan not picking them for their team doesn't know much about football.

Soldato
Aye i'm Perrys second cousin, also loosely related to a Mr Vic Groves who used to play in the 60's if i'm not mistaken, he was a very good player by all accounts.

Onto the subject itself, my Arsenal knowledge doesn't go back too far so can only work with who i know.

Seaman
Winterburn
Adams
Keown
Dixon
Pires
Vieira
Merson
Bergkamp
Henry
Wright

God my memory is terrible :o.

Soldato
i do not share in this sentiment that other Man U fans have for Cantona.......the last 18months of his Man U career he was dreadful...and i mean Diego Forlan bad. He had no work rate at all and is only remembered for the flashes of brilliance.

Man of Honour
Originally posted by Afterlife
i do not share in this sentiment that other Man U fans have for Cantona.......the last 18months of his Man U career he was dreadful...and i mean Diego Forlan bad. He had no work rate at all and is only remembered for the flashes of brilliance.

And yet without him you'd be Aston Villa.

Associate
Originally posted by Vicar
Playing 4-4-2 (if were going for all time)

GK: Peter Schmeichel (Denmark)

RB: Danny Blind (Hollandl)
LB: Sammer (Germany)
CB: Paolo Maldini (Italy)
CB: Franz Beckenbauer (Germany, technically a Sweeper)

LM: Luis Figo (Portugal)
RM: Luis Enrique (Spain)
CM: Roy Keane (Ireland)
CM: Kenny Dalglish (Scotland)

ST: Marco van Basten (Holland)
ST: Thierry Henry (France)

Subs:
GK: Gianluca Buffon (Italy)
2. Pele (Brazil)
3. Zico (Brazil)
4. Ronaldo (Brazil)
5. Junior (Brazil)
6. Pavel Nedved (Czech Rebublic)

nedved on the bench!!! >< and no zidane :o *slaps Vicar with a glove*

We duel at dawn, ISS pro evo are the weapons :p

Viks

Man of Honour
Originally posted by y2viks
tad harsh :p

thats like saying if leeds sold most of their star players, they'd be a nationwide club.... oh.. i c your point now :p

Viks

Aint like saying that at all. Take the entire 1st team away from any club and see where they end up.

Associate
Originally posted by Gilly
Aint like saying that at all. Take the entire 1st team away from any club and see where they end up.

entire... slight exaggeration

you still have

Robinson
Harte
Kelly
Matteo
Milner
Batty (well u did have for most of the season)
Milner
Bakke
Viduka
Smith

now u know that at least 50% would be in the squad regardless of whether your Kewells, Woodgates, Bowyers and Ferdinands were still playing for Leeds.

but if you comment was a general one about a football team and not about leeds specifically, then i agree with u :p

Viks

Man of Honour
Think you missed my point.

Martyn
Mills
Ferdinand
Woodgate
X
Bowyer
Dacourt
Kewell
Fowler
Bridges
Keane

Thats the first team we sold. There were other too.

The only first teamer we didn't sell is Harte. Just because we have others in the 1st team now doesn't mean we didn't sell our first team from before.

That team would be finishing top 3 his season.

Take the first choice 11 from any of the top three (even Chelsea) and see where they finish without the funds to buy more players.

You'll find they're nowhere.

Associate
Originally posted by Gilly
Think you missed my point.

Martyn
Mills
Ferdinand
Woodgate
X
Bowyer
Dacourt
Kewell
Fowler
Bridges
Keane

Thats the first team we sold. There were other too.

The only first teamer we didn't sell is Harte. Just because we have others in the 1st team now doesn't mean we didn't sell our first team from before.

That team would be finishing top 3 his season.

Take the first choice 11 from any of the top three (even Chelsea) and see where they finish without the funds to buy more players.

You'll find they're nowhere.

Robinson was already ahead of Martyn before Martyn got sold and you can;t say that Viduka and Smith wouldn't have got a look in, the same for Milner.

I agree that due to finances, Woodgate, Bowyer, Batty and Kewell left but as for Dacourt I think he was on his way out for personal reasons.

But to have Ferdinand on the list, who left on his own accord, and not for major financial reasons (i.e. last year of contract/Leeds in desperate need of cash) is a no brainer imo.

Of that list there who would u replace in ** actual 1st team now now.

Kewell
Woodgate
Mills
and maybe Bowyer

This is bearing in mind what i said about Ferdy and Dacourt.

Viks

Man of Honour
I don't really see your point. You're saying that we didn't have to sell them. So what? Fact is, we did sell them. Sell any first 11 from any club and see how they do.

Whether the board was forced to sell or not is absolutely irrelevant.

Are you deliberately being incongruous?

Associate
if that was your point, then fair dues for one of the most obvious statements around.

"Take the first choice 11 from any team and see where they finish without the funds to buy more players."

Quality Statement:rolleyes:

Viks -

Man of Honour
Originally posted by y2viks
if that was your point, then fair dues for one of the most obvious statements around.

"Take the first choice 11 from any team and see where they finish without the funds to buy more players."

Quality Statement:rolleyes:

Viks -

It was a retort to your stupid comment about selling off star players. If you make stupid comments expect people to speak to you like you're stupid.

Soldato
Arsenals All Time:
Manager: Arsene Wenger

Seaman

Dixon Campbell Adam(c) Cole

Pires Vieira Platt Brady

Wright Henry

Subs

Jennings
O'Leary
Ljungberg
Parlour
Bergkamp

Associate
the statement you made, has zero to do with Leeds as they never sold 11 1st team players. That was my point.

Viks

infact just saw fcukpidge's post and remembered what this thread was about :p soz for going off topic, nm how right i was :p

If you wanna carry on Gilly make another thread and we can argue there :D

Viks

Back
Top Bottom