Your team's Greatest XI

Man of Honour
Originally posted by y2viks
the statement you made, has zero to do with Leeds as they never sold 11 1st team players. That was my point.

You're making my teeth itch. Either you're incredibly dense or you're a good actor.

I named an entire first team (minus one left-back) previously. OK, thats 10 1st team players not 11, but the effect is going to be exactly the same.

Associate
ok i'll start with my point about nigel martyn..When he got sold he was not part of the First Team.. he was deputy to Robinson. So how does that constitute a first team player? He "was" a first team player.. but leeds never sold a first team goalie.. they sold thier sub goalie at the time.. martyn :)

Viks

p.s. i got some cream for them itchy teeth ><

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Originally posted by davestar_delux
Celtic

Coach: Jock Stein

Simpson;
Craig; Gemmell; McNeill; Clark;
Murdoch; Wallace; Auld; Johnstone;
Chalmers; Lennox.

Think I've got that lineup right? It's the Lisbon Lions basically although I would probably drop Chalmers for Dalglish.

SUBS:
Larsson, Jimmy McGrory, Paul McStay, Danny McGrain.

How can you beat that? :) I'd play a 2-3-5 though, and stick in John Thompson as sub-goalie.

This is the type of thread I normally avoid like the plague; I thought it was because I saw them as being silly
howls for attention or pity, but it’s really because I wanted to make one myself, I just couldn’t manage to do
it. Today seems like a good a day as any to give it a go, I will probably regret this, but I don’t really care anymore.
So this is my cathartic post. I need to get some things off my chest, read on if you want.

I had a pretty tough upbringing, I didn’t think it was at the time but it turns out I went through stuff that I really
shouldn’t have had to.

All my life I’ve put a brave face on things and locked away any negativity, but here I am, feeling a bit emo,
necking vodka like it’s going out of fashion, about to tell some things for the very first time.

Around the age of 6 I got my first beating from my stepfather, (I never knew my ‘real’ father) I’ll never forget the
pounding I got with his leather belt. I quite literally couldn’t sit down for a week, at least not without being in
raging agony. My gin-soaked mother couldn’t give a toss about what he did, she was so drunk she couldn’t keep
it together long enough to cook dinner. At least not for me, my younger brother always got a decent meal. They
loved him a lot more than me, it wouldn’t be hard mind you.

For the next 5 years I lived in fear of beatings from the monster that married my mother, sometimes he’d use an
old broom to strike the back of my legs as I tried to run away, it hurt like hell but was nothing compared to the
orrible mental pain. A few days after my 11th birthday I took a really bad beating and I just cracked. He had a
locker where he kept a few shotguns, I waited until he fell asleep on his chair, loaded a shell and shot him.

Looking back, that was a mistake. I was put in a home for delinquents, where the abuse wasn’t any less,
only of a different nature. The shot didn’t kill my stepfather, but it prevented him from working on the modest bit of
land they had. He drank all day and eventually died when I was 15, my mother committed suicide a year later.
Like I expected, I was passed over in her will. I didn’t think she had very much worth inheriting, but my brother got
everything and has been living the life of Reilly ever since, we don’t speak.
Right, I’m feeling a bit sick and drowsy, if I’m still around later, and folk want, I’ll write the rest and answer questions…
See you on the other side.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
For what it's worth I agree, Leeds did NOT sell their entire first 11 except for Harte, because as stated Martyn had already been replaced when he was sold. Danny Mills is still a Leeds player. Bridges when sold wasn't really first choice either.

It's a bit of a moot point though, because Leeds DID sell a lot of good players. But, as I have said on many occasions in the past, they were one of the few clubs who could get away with it because of the strength in depth of their squad. Leeds fans should stay positive, look at what you have, not what you have lost :)

Tru

Tru

Soldato
Originally posted by Gilly
Larsson not in the starting lineup?

You kidding?

Thats the greatest line-up. Larsson is a better player than a few of them but the Lions were far greater than the sum of their parts.

Equally, Jimmy McGrory scored 472 goals in 445 games (thats a 1.05 average stat-fans) but he might upset the near-perfect equilibrium of the '67 team :) So unfortunatley Celtics two greatest ever strikers are picking up splinters :p

Man of Honour
Everton's greatest ever team, I reckon it would give any team a game...

GK: Neville Southall

RB: Gary Stevens
LB: Pat Van Den Hauwe
CB: Kevin Ratcliffe
CB: Dave Watson

RM: Andrei Kanchelskis
LM: Kevin Sheedy
CM: Alex Young
CM: Peter Reid

CF: Dixie Dean
CF: Gary Lineker

SUB1: Nigel Martyn
SUB2: Derek Mountfield
SUB3: Adrian Heath
SUB4: Anders Limpar
SUb5: Wayne Rooney

Quality backline there, with plenty of pace and mobility, with Dave Watson the rock in the air. The midfield is tight, with Peter Reid the anchor, Alex Young the midfield genius (which he was), and Andrei and Sheedy providing the width. Sheedy was an amazing free-kick taker, right up there with Beckham IMO. Dixie Dean up front of course, 60 league goals in a season says it all, and with his ability in the air, Lineker would be his perfect foil, using his pace to chase and put the knock on's away.

My subs may be abit controversial. I can't think of a keeper in my lifetime who has performed better than Martyn, so he gets that spot. Mountfield was a huge centreback, and great offensively as well, often notching near 10 league goals a season. Heath could play almost anywhere, so great versatility there. Limpar would be great if we needed some magic (or a pen). Rooney, while nowhere near an Everton legend (yet), has the ability to run and take people on unlike any Everton forward I've seen in my lifetime, and his ability to change a game is enough for him to be in there.

Associate
Originally posted by davestar_delux
Celtic

Coach: Jock Stein

Simpson;
Craig; Gemmel; McNeill; Clark;
Murdock; Wallace; Auld; Johnstone;
Chalmers; Lennox.

Think I've got that lineup right? It's the Lisbon Lions basically although I would probably drop Chalmers for Dalglish.

SUBS:
Larsson, Jimmy McGrory, Paul McStay, Danny McGrain.

What about Martin O'neil?

Soldato
Gk - Cashley
Rb - Sweeney
Cb - Merrick
Cb - Hunter
Lb - Brennan
Rm - Gow
Cm - Doherty
Cm - Tinnion
Lm - Whitehead
St - Jakinowski (sp?)
St - Cheesley

I expect agrand total of 0 of you to have heard of any of them. Kev may have done, but he'd have to be really old as a fair few of them are the team that beat Arsenal at highbury in our first game in division 1 in 1976 :D

Associate
Originally posted by Tru
He's got a bit to go before he betters big Jock, about 6 leagues and the European Cup :)

Yeah, but he did turn them around instantly, he arrived start of 2000, they then won there first ever treble in the 2000-2001 season!!

Soldato
Originally posted by slikbak
Yeah, but he did turn them around instantly, he arrived start of 2000, they then won there first ever treble in the 2000-2001 season!!

Wim Jansen did the same and stopped Rangers 10 in a row. They're both good managers. But Jock Stein turned the club around as well and dominated for a long time and had to build a team twice in that time. He was also brilliant tactically and a great motivator.
MON has built one team and turned the club around and shown he is a great motivator but he has been shown up tactically in the CL and UEFA cup and his team is getting old now and losing key players like Larsson. Next season will be his test.

Tru

Tru

Soldato
^ lol, he's staying put Davey, lucky for you ;)

Originally posted by slikbak

MON's effect on the club was near miraculous, but in 1967 we won every competition we entered so it wasn't our first treble in 2001.

Associate
I'm no student of Man Utd history but are you guys geuniunely saying that Utd have never had a better right back than Gary Neville? :confused:

Anyways, Our bext XI:

bowdown.gif
Gordon Banks

Denis Smith
Alan Bloor
Jackie Marsh
Peter Dobing

Alan Hudson
Terry Conroy
George Eastham
bowdown.gif
Sir Stanley Matthews