Your top 5 most visually stunning films!

Soldato
GATTACA - Stylish, artistic and wholly underrated
Baraka - Beautiful on a whole other level
Ghost in the Shell - stunning
Akira - sets the standard for Anime even today
Pitch Black - low budget, but really well done - it didn't suffer from the overwrought production in Chronicles.

IMO of course

Soldato
Blade Runner (City scapes = awesome. Love the dark, bleakness of the future)
2001: A Space Odyssey (Considering its age, its a stunning looking film, especially on Blu-ray)
Sin City (First comic book style film I watched and still the best by a lot)
The Matrix (Green filter just works on so many levels for this. In HD again it looks amazing, super deep blacks)
The Fifth Element (kinda unsure about this one for the list, but its a good film that I could watch at anytime and looks great. Awesome city scenes with the traffic and huge skyscrapers)

Last edited:
Associate
I'm going to have to go for the LOTR trilogy as a whole. I'm always amazed after trudging through the special features on the dvd's of the dedication that went into those sets, the handmade models and all of the cg stuff. Great use of the New Zealand scenery helped as well.

Visually stunning imo as it really brought the word to life.

If i were to rank some others for wowing me visually mmmm.

1. LOTR Trilogy
2. Place Promised In Our Early Days - the direction, animation, scenery. Very captivating.
3. Return of the Jedi - i thought the battle of endor was awesome when i first saw it. Still holds up today against better stuff imo.
4. Star Trek - That opening battle is awesome and pretty good to look at.
5. Origin: Spirits of the Past - some great use of color in the scenery and some great animation sequences.

Last edited:
Don
I won't mention ones that have been already..

Children of Men - very gritty look to this, I must buy it on blu ray
Predator - really captures the jungle feel, and still looks great to this day

^Hey, that rhymes :D

Soldato
Hero is the most visually stunning film I've seen. I think that most of the movies mentioned look great and have some fantastic special effects, but I wouldn't class them as visually stunning.

Caporegime
Hero - As has been said, the use of colour is brilliant, and the stylisation - things like the millions of arrows hitting the fortress - are amazing.

The Matrix - The first one is definitely the best, as they don't overstretch things, like with the CGI Neo flying or the Burly Brawl in Reloaded. Bullet time is still incredible to look at, and the fighting is really well shot - you can actually see what is going on rather than it being some ridiculous cluster**** like you get in a lot of martial arts films.

Children Of Men - I loved the long takes in this. Some of them are absolutely incredible, like the one where the car gets ambushed and the building in the end.

Requiem For A Dream - The visual impact of the film really comes from the editing and the incredibly fast cuts. It really adds to the discomfort of the film.

Terminator 2 - This film is nearly 20 years old and it still looks absolutely incredible.

Sin City - At the time, I defended this film to a lot of people who dismissed it as being style over substance. I didn't really understand the complaint, as the whole point of the film is the style. The style and the substance are inextricably linked. The film is a moving graphic novel, almost exactly as it is drawn in the original books. It's brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom