Your top 5 most visually stunning films!

Soldato
Shutter Island
Book of Eli
Valhalla Rising (Crap film but visually I thought it was awesome)
LOTR'ses
Gladiator, Bladerunner, Alien, Kingdom of Heaven, just about everything by Ridley Scott is visually stunning :p
No Country for Old Men
Last of the Mohicans
Dances with Wolves

Loads more, most already mentioned :)

Soldato
Tron (1982) - wow, just by using black-light effects and some CGI it still looks cool to this day. And Lacey Underall was hot. ;)

The Black Hole (1979) - the portrayal of what someone imagined a black hole would look like done in movie still holds water and is still creepy, just like that robot Maximilian.

Close Encounters of the Third Kind (1977) - The relative motion of the UFOs was just spectacular and dead-on. Even now it is hard to find fault in the effects.

Superman (1978) and sequels - for some reason whenever watching a person take flight under their own power -- even today -- looks absolutely fake and wire-fu. With the exception of the one scene where Superman brings Lois Lane back to her terrace, Superman was superb in how they demonstrated this motion. The only way around it these days is by making flight extremely fast (think Neo, Heroes, or Hancock) and a sonic-boom blur.

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001) - one of the first 100% CGI films, the amount of detail is just overwhelming. To think how long it took them to render all these shots (4 years) can be done almost real-time in today's video games. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Most of my favourites already listed here but I'd like to add Michael Mann's Miami Vice. Especially the night shots are absolutely stunning. You could replace it with Collateral which many consider the better film but I'm going to stick with Miami Vice. I watch Miami Vice regularly mostly for the visuals alone - the haters will hate but I love it.

Avatar obviously blew my mind. Looks very average on a smaller screen with 2D though.
Lord of the Rings movies are absolutely gorgeous.
Star Trek (2009) is great too. I know some people hate the visual style but I think it simply works and succeeds in establishing a new style for the Star Trek world.
Saving Private Ryan / Band of Brothers good sets and locations set the style for both of these and they look just as I'd expect 1940s to look. I hate to add the Pacific to the list but Pacific looks just as good, such a shame the content was seriously lacking.

Associate
I also enjoy the Style employed by Jean-Pierre Jeunet as he creates a world within an already existing world that is exaggerated. I also love his use of camera and animation. Amelie, Delicattessan as examples.

I recently watched MicMacs and I could just look at the composition of the film and enjoy it. The colours he uses throughout his movies is so colourful and vibrant.

This. Amazing

Soldato
Those that impressed me when they first came out-

Any Star Wars
Any Lord of the Rings
Most Star Trek

Soldato
Irreversible

the camera work is sublime. pulls you right into the madness and horror then spits you back out

his new film looks absolutely stunning too but if i linked you to the 10 minute effect reel id most definetly be permabanned.

Soldato
What Dreams May Come.
The Assassination of Jesse James.
Sleepy Hollow.
Perfume.
The Fountain (I know I said it already, but it's amazing. The film is utter rubbish but it's like a piece of Art ot watch)
Dune.
Gladiator.
LOTR.
Dark City.
Bladerunner

Few more than Five, I know but what happened to Top 10....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom