1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Youth Team contracts - Football icon sky one

Discussion in 'Sports Arena' started by Replicant, 21 May 2006.

1. Replicant

Hitman

Not sure if anyone has been watching this on sky one, but they recently had an update episode were the lad who won managed to gain a contarct for a further year, quite interesting to see what the other lads are doing too.

Anyone know how much they get paid compared to first team players?

2. lemonkettaz

Capodecina

peanuts probably

depends on age doesnt it

3. Spamalot

Soldato

Depends how good you are.

Rooney turned you to his first Everton game on his BMX.

4. lemonkettaz

Capodecina

i know walcott got a new contract when he turned 17.....rewarded with £1700 a week.

crazy or what

5. daz

Capodecina

Apprenticeship contracts are in the region of a couple a hundred a week... obviously with special exceptions with players like Walcott.

6. lemonkettaz

Capodecina

yeh.. players that can run fast...

like me..

am i on £1700 a week... no

where is the justice :p

7. [ASSE]Hinchy

Capodecina

You can't sign a professional contract until you are 17 years old.

Until his 17th birthday, Walcoot was on a YTS scheme, meaning he was on about £100 a week. That is what he was being paid at Southampton.

Once they hit 17, they can be paid whatever you want.

Thats the way I always thought the system to work..

8. daz

Capodecina

True.

Even 17 year olds generally aren't on anything like what you might imagine footballers might earn though. Walcott was a special exception (as was Rooney and probably Owen too...) - when he (they) turned 17 they must have moved onto pretty reasonable contracts. Whereas most young players (17-19) will be given a professional contract, but not a particularly lucrative one.

9. PikeyPriest

Wise Guy

Yea apparently the YTS caps money at around 100 a week (think that is the same for all YTS work.

Though i`ve heard that sometimes clubs will pay for peoples families to move in to their catchment areas so i`m sure there are ways to tempt the top stars with other incentives.

10. NokkonWud

Caporegime

I believe it's £70-£120 a week for the majority.

I watched this and can't help but think Dee has the best chance... his Agent got him trials with Lazio and Inter Milan.

11. jesta

Mobster

i dont know what the other lads are doing but the lad who won it use to go to my school (he was the year above me), he still comes in from time to time to talk to his mates.how much does he get paid now? 2 weeks ago i saw him driving a old VW Golf(N reg).all i know is apparantly he got 5k as a signing on bonus.

12. wedgie

Sgarrista

I used to go school with someone who was on YTS at stockport, (until carlton palmer let him go) he was on about 120pw. You don't start making the real money until you sign pro and start to at least push for a reserve team place