Z490 motherboard reviews?

Soldato
Are there any reviews of Z490 motherboards? Especially the cheaper ones. It looks like Intel have - for gamers - one-upped AMD with this round of CPUs - at least until AMD slash their prices. But while there is price parity on the CPUs, the motherboards vary considerably in price, with the cheapest being at the upper end of B450 prices. I guess we'll have to wait to mid-June for the B460 motherboards.

Associate
I have Z490 Aorus Pro Ax and there is a problem with official driver for ethernet card from Gigabyte Support site (one from windows update works fine) and I have problem with VGA. ;)

Soldato
Are there any reviews of Z490 motherboards? Especially the cheaper ones. It looks like Intel have - for gamers - one-upped AMD with this round of CPUs - at least until AMD slash their prices. But while there is price parity on the CPUs, the motherboards vary considerably in price, with the cheapest being at the upper end of B450 prices. I guess we'll have to wait to mid-June for the B460 motherboards.

They haven't "one-upped" AMD at all, hot power hungry old tech, that beats equiavalent AMD chips by a few frames in games but is much expensive...whilst getting thrashed in productivity tasks.

Intel's latest refresh is pretty much, and pun intended "hot garbage".

Associate
They haven't "one-upped" AMD, hot power hungry old tech, that beats equiavalent AMD chips by a few frames but much mreo expensive...

it's not all that hot temp wise if you actually see any of the decent reviews even at 5ghz on a small AIO setup its easy cooled.

my 3800x was pretty warm and I hear the 3900X is even hotter due to the 'shitlett' maybe same temp as the 10900K...

Soldato
it's not all that hot temp wise if you actually see any of the decent reviews even at 5ghz on a small AIO setup its easy cooled.

my 3800x was pretty warm and I hear the 3900X is even hotter due to the 'shitlett' maybe same temp as the 10900K...

I've seen the reviews having to have an AIO may cool them but it adds cost.

Associate
I find it odd that people just cannot seem to be happy and have to go on the AMD versus Intel train or the mine is better than yours crud..Having an AMD CPU is great, having a Intel CPU is likewise great. Each to his own. On to the temps, the temps on the new 10th gen Intel CPU's are actually quiet good and have been reviewed as being better than expected. On my 10700K overclocked to 5.1GHz all core at 1.320v I get 74 degrees C on the highest core for Cinebench R20 looped. This is with a 360 AIO which is pretty stellar as far as temps go. Gaming which is the primary use case for my CPU, again temps rarely go aver 50 degrees C so I am more than happy.

Intel will give you about as good frame rates as you can get today both on the 1% lows and the max FPS with AMD you still get good FPS but with a much better value on the productivity side. Competition is great and we have never had it so good as finally AMD have done a great job with Ryzen and long may it continue. Everyone's choice be it buying AMD or buying Intel is the right choice...

They haven't "one-upped" AMD at all, hot power hungry old tech, that beats equiavalent AMD chips by a few frames in games but is much expensive...whilst getting thrashed in productivity tasks.

Associate
Just in case, I have the Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Ultra running my 10700K. It is rock solid, great at overclocking. The VRM in a true 12 phase works great and never gets hot as it has a proper fin stack to cool. There is a driver issue with the 2.5GHz nick which sometimes resets, but as the board also has Wifi 6 it is not too much of a pain but hopefully a driver update will resolve this. Apparently this is an Intel issue.

The one downside is the BIOS which is still behind Asus and MSI and could be improved, though they never seem to get on top of this. Still the Bios works fine, has pretty much everything and is straightforward for overclocking. I would go as far as saying the overclocking on the Z490 is even easier than before.

Couple of reviews for the Gigabyte Z490 Master and the ASRock Z490 Taichi below:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/z490-aorus-master-review,1.html
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9473/asrock-z490-taichi-intel-atx-motherboard/index.html
And the Z490 Aorus Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMXGofVhh0

Last edited:
Soldato
I find it odd that people just cannot seem to be happy and have to go on the AMD versus Intel train or the mine is better than yours crud..Having an AMD CPU is great, having a Intel CPU is likewise great. Each to his own. On to the temps, the temps on the new 10th gen Intel CPU's are actually quiet good and have been reviewed as being better than expected. On my 10700K overclocked to 5.1GHz all core at 1.320v I get 74 degrees C on the highest core for Cinebench R20 looped. This is with a 360 AIO which is pretty stellar as far as temps go. Gaming which is the primary use case for my CPU, again temps rarely go aver 50 degrees C so I am more than happy.

Intel will give you about as good frame rates as you can get today both on the 1% lows and the max FPS with AMD you still get good FPS but with a much better value on the productivity side. Competition is great and we have never had it so good as finally AMD have done a great job with Ryzen and long may it continue. Everyone's choice be it buying AMD or buying Intel is the right choice...

Just posting the facts. I pointed out where Intel were strong in FPS, but in the round Intel haven't "one upped" AMD with this last refresh.

Associate
Just in case, I have the Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Ultra running my 10700K. It is rock solid, great at overclocking. The VRM in a true 12 phase works great and never gets hot as it has a proper fin stack to cool. There is a driver issue with the 2.5GHz nick which sometimes resets, but as the board also has Wifi 6 it is not too much of a pain but hopefully a driver update will resolve this. Apparently this is an Intel issue.

The one downside is the BIOS which is still behind Asus and MSI and could be improved, though they never seem to get on top of this. Still the Bios works fine, has pretty much everything and is straightforward for overclocking. I would go as far as saying the overclocking on the Z490 is even easier than before.

Couple of reviews for the Gigabyte Z490 Master and the ASRock Z490 Taichi below:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/z490-aorus-master-review,1.html
https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/9473/asrock-z490-taichi-intel-atx-motherboard/index.html
And the Z490 Aorus Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joMXGofVhh0

I liked the z390 auros master boot times and bios, but it had considerable issues elsewhere. I confirmed this with two boards (if I got a static discharge on my monitor or monitor arm, the PC would bsod and reboot. My 5m usb extention cables made the system more and more unstable as i used it and stuttering audio in fraps recordings). The previous Asus boards I've had has not these problems (except mic in to break on the rampage v extreme). So i've ordered a xii formula this time.

Associate
Intel Z490 VRM Testing, Budget Buyers Beware of Lies & Misleading Marketing
(Testing Asus Prime Z490-P, MSI Z490-A Pro, Gigabyte Z490 UD, Asrock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4, Asrock Z490 Pro4)

Associate
Intel Z490 VRM Testing, Budget Buyers Beware of Lies & Misleading Marketing
(Testing Asus Prime Z490-P, MSI Z490-A Pro, Gigabyte Z490 UD, Asrock Z490 Phantom Gaming 4, Asrock Z490 Pro4)

Woooooooow.........
21e32824d9a7286041de0e0eae801a2302b0968cbb05da140361437ecc7bb961.jpg
cea868299fa251350a63108c9fa5869cedc8c8fb44b76e2e6cbf1a7ebf587701.jpg

Back
Top Bottom