Z77 Motherboard recommendation

Associate
I'm about to upgrade my system from a Phenom ii 955 to an Intel system and looking for a recommendation for a good z77 board,

Also not sure if socket 1155 is the one to go for, or if I should be going for a x79/2011 board instead.

I mainly want something reliable with a good easy to use bios that will OC well, crossfire&SLI support would be a plus as well -

Budget is about £175 (give or take a bit)

Not sure if the z77 Sabretooth is worth the extra 70 quid compared to the Asrock extreme 4 - would appreciate any advice/recommendations on this as I haven't built an Intel system since the lga775 socket days.

Associate
Last edited:
Soldato
Ive got a sabertooth its a very good board i also know the msi mpower board is good too and is a little cheaper, ive never been a fan of asrocks, i think thats more a personal thing though they used to be part of asus as their budget range that is times long gone now but for me like skoda i just cant shake that cheap feeling out of my head even though again like skoda in more recent years theve knocked out some good kit

Associate
OP
Thanks for the input guys - I would rather spend the money for quality than go with a budget brand so will steer clear of the Asrock.
Think I may go with the UD5H, have always used Asus boards in the past so will maybe give Gigabyte a try - only downside seems to be it doesn't offer dual x16 pcie slots but don't think I will need them anyway.

Caporegime
Thanks for the input guys - I would rather spend the money for quality than go with a budget brand so will steer clear of the Asrock.
Think I may go with the UD5H, have always used Asus boards in the past so will maybe give Gigabyte a try - only downside seems to be it doesn't offer dual x16 pcie slots but don't think I will need them anyway.

Not many Z77 do, the ones that do are £260+

But the actuall difference between 8X/8X and 16X/16X is very very small, maybe high-end cards like a GTX Titan or the ATI7990 may see a better difference?

Permabanned
I know what not to buy

My mates Asrock z77 Extreme 4 Fatal1ty Packed up 2 days ago... 4 months old not overclocked . Started to shut down we had a look inside and it stinks from from power section of MB (We first tried another PSU)
Its going back to ocuk today....

I can recommend Maximus V Gene. I works stable for 8 months now with 48x103.3 at big vcore. Sound on it is very nice to :)

Soldato
My mates Asrock z77 Extreme 4 Fatal1ty Packed up 2 days ago... 4 months old not overclocked . Started to shut down we had a look inside and it stinks from from power section of MB (We first tried another PSU)
Its going back to ocuk today....

I can recommend Maximus V Gene. I works stable for 8 months now with 48x103.3 at big vcore. Sound on it is very nice to :)

Agreed :)
If you can top up a bit more cash you can go for Maximus V Formula :)

Associate
OP
Thanks all, have ordered the UD5H from Ocuk - good price and free next day delivery as well so cant argue with that. Just need to pick a CPU and cooler to go with it now.

Associate
I have run Asrock for the last 6 years. Granted the 1st board was cheap and basic for my old 775 sct, turned it off about once a month if that and never let me down.

Just upgraded to the 3570k and went for the asrock m4 and I am more then happy for the price and what I got for my money. Good quality and the overclock was so simple with no issues.

Fully agree you can get better boards, however for the money and depending what you want from your board I don't think you can knock how much Asrock have come on.

You will always hear the worst, I thought I would give some positives :)

Back
Top Bottom