Z87-haswell cpu upgrade issue

Associate
So, a few days ago, I bought a asus Z87-pro(V Edition) bundle from ebay (the motherboard, A celeron CPU, and 2x4gb DDR3). I've set it all up, tested it, and with the celeron G1820TE inserted, it works fine. However, when I try to boot with a pentium g3240, Pentium g3258, or an i7-4790k, it wont boot. Feels sort of like a joke, top of the line motherboard only works with bottom the the line CPU.

It's on the latest bios, however I have tried older bioses to see if that was the issue, it was not. Post code on the board reads 00, basically meaningless, I know the cpu's work, i've tested them in other systems.

If it's a faulty motherboard, I'll likely be returning it, but preferably I'd like to get it working.

Anyone know what my issue could be?

TIA

Permabanned
AFAIR it needed a Management Engine Firmware Update that is done from within Windows then you update Mobo Bios to latest (it will be the last Bios ever for that Mobo) to get Devils Canyon CPU compatibility so you will need to do so before you fit that CPU, I did mine on a 4770k then swapped to 4790k

Associate
AFAIR it needed a Management Engine Firmware Update that is done from within Windows then you update Mobo Bios to latest (it will be the last Bios ever for that Mobo) to get Devils Canyon CPU compatibility so you will need to do so before you fit that CPU, I did mine on a 4770k then swapped to 4790k

I love this forum, someone always seems to know the answers :)

Hope this gets you sorted, OP.

Associate
OP

The Asus bios updater tool that comes in the .Zip reports that the latest Intel Management Interface Driver is not installed, and greys out the button to continue. Checked in the device manager, it's on the most up to date driver that windows update can find. Looked for the driver on intel's download center, however I have only found one for the 6th, 7th, 8th gen cpu's. nothing for 4th gen, other that graphics drivers.

Associate
OP
Solved it :)

For those with the same issue in the future:

Had to go back onto windows 7 64Bit chipset drivers for the z87-PRO motherboard, install the oldest version of MEI (Intel Management Engine Interface) Version V9.0.0.1287. This then allows the windows bios update tool (found in the most recent bios update (Z87-PRO BIOS 2103 and BIOS updater)) to work. Run through that, install the included bios, then restart to confirm it took effect. Shut down the PC, install a new 4th Gen CPU (G3258, 4690k, 4790k). Once completed and verified it's all working on the new bios with a new 4th gen CPU, go back into device manager and search for the latest Intel Management Engine Interface Drivers automatically (found under system devices), this restores it back to the latest version (at the time of writing this is 11.7.0.1045).

Seems to be sorted. Thank you for the help JohnG7. I have spent many hours over the last few nights trying to fix this issue.

Associate
OP
I've tried before on this chip, sadly, it's not one of the good ones. The best I could manage was 4.8Ghz just about stable, but at ludicrously high voltage, so keeping it cool, even on water was a challenge. Dialed it back to 4.7 for a while, but experienced issues when doing tasks in adobe suite as it uses AVX/AVX2. I could've done an AVX offset, but it was just easier to take it back to XMP.

Permabanned
AFAIK nearly all 4790k are good compared to the 4770k's, the lower temp will get your voltage down also, your looking at 10-30C drop.

Permabanned
I had the good batch going by number on the retail box (or so it was said back them).

I think if you can find the thread here Gibbo had that batch.

Back
Top Bottom