1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZFS

Discussion in 'Linux & Open Source' started by Ice Tea, 15 Sep 2020.

1. Ice Tea

Mobster

Anyone tried it out yet , the snapshot function looks like a great idea?

2. Donnie Fisher

Hitman

I run it on my Ubuntu server Nas for the redundancy across 2 drives and the ability to expand the pool later down the line.

No issues so far, but then again it gets light use. Nothing too fancy.

3. Ice Tea

Mobster

I was thinking of trying it out as a daily desktop though i've seen people complain about performance when it comes to media files and bitorrent so i might disable compression.

4. memyselfandi

Sgarrista

ZFS is great on Solaris ... how it is on Linux I cant comment as I've not used it on there.

5. Cromulent

Mobster

Give btrfs a try. It has been in the Linux kernel a long time and has a lot of the same features as ZFS and some distros use it as the default filesystem (OpenSUSE for instance). Pretty stable by now although fixes keep coming in newer kernels to improve it still.

6. Ice Tea

Mobster

Looked at it a couple of times but i'm done with distro hopping and just use Ubuntu.

7. Cromulent

Mobster

Use it with Ubuntu then? Ubuntu supports it just as well as any other distro. It just isn't the default choice and you have to pick it manually when you are creating a partition.

8. Ice Tea

Mobster

Ubuntu now has ZFS as part of the installer for root-zfs and also has Zsys to add snapshots to the grub menu , no need to reinvent the wheel just to try snapshots.

9. brummie

Mobster

I use it with Budgie and it has no issues that i am aware of. I do not use all its features more for the redundancy.

10. Cenuij

Gangster

Yes, migrated my ZFS NAS from FreeNAS to CentOS a couple of years ago, and recently migrated from CentOS to Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

It's been solid, I've got some decent HGST drives and I'm using mirrored VDEV's with ECC ram.

The one thing I really don't like, It's slow, really slow.

It's sort of OK ish for smaller file reads, the 32G ECC is just enough to maintain decent ARC cache but reading or writing large files, VM images, media that sort of thing is painful. I don't have room in the box for a faster disk for an L2ARC cache to help deal with that :(

11. Ice Tea

Mobster

Thanks both for the feedback

Cenuij i've seen quit a few complaints about slowdown with ZFS apparently fragmented data like torrent downloading can be a right pain as well.

brummie have you experienced slowness like Cenjuij?

12. brummie

Mobster

I use it on Samsung 970 Evo plus' and don't notice anything slowing down at all. It has been perfect for me so far.

13. Cooler running

Gangster

Currently using ZFS ZRAID on FreeNas ATM. Out of interest, what made you drop FreeNas?