Zotac home build

Associate
Last year I purchased and built the PC parts listed below.

Because I run a live website the PC cannot be shut down except for the occasional Windows updates. For the first 6 months it ran like a Rolls Royce but one day it suddenly froze solid. I powered off and rebooted but it wouldn’t start. I attempted a Windows repair but Windows reported that it could not repair the system, so I reinstalled Windows. Again the machine ran normally for another six/seven months when I noticed that there was a Windows update wanting to download but couldn’t. I attempted a manual download without success so I shut the machine down but then it wouldn’t boot up again. It was another reinstallation.

The last few weeks have been a complete nightmare. I’ve been reinstalling Windows continuously with crashes becoming common place. I got many CHKDSK errors showing corrupt or orphaned files, blue screens reporting memory errors, and even the disk repartitioned itself.

I ruled out a virus because I was repeatedly reformatting the hard drive prior to a new reinstallation of Windows, so I started by changing the hard disk because of the CHKDSK errors. This made no difference.
I installed Windows 7 and that made no difference.
I removed 1 RAM stick and did a reinstall, and then the other and that made no difference.

I’ve removed, cleaned and re-seated the CPU with new heat transfer paste. Cleaned the heat sink and generally re-connected every connector there is in the machine, and that made no difference.
I ran an overnight MEMTEST check but that didn’t find any problems.

In desperation I reinstalled both RAM sticks switched on the machine and it wouldn’t boot. The machine beeped with a memory error and wouldn’t start. I was now beginning to think it was an intermittently faulty RAM stick or slot so I removed the nearest one to me and rebooted and the machine started. I reinstalled Windows 7 and it ran perfectly for a week without a problem. This week I changed the working RAM chip with the other one and used the same slot but again it’s been OK. In an attempt to make this problem reoccur I repeated the steps above using the other slot but it’s been running fine. The machine is now back to where it started with both sticks in and it’s still running great, but I just know that the problem is lurking in the dark, in fact I’m certain it is.

One final problem, the wifi unit in this machine seems to lose connectivity often unless the router is nekt to it. It can’t be the router because I have two other laptops running at a 10/12 meter distance and they’re fine, they even work in the garden. I’ve got the latest Win7 driver installed and it isn’t showing any errors but connectivity is low.

If any one that reads this hasn’t already fallen asleep with boredom and has had a similar problem with the hardware I have, please respond because I am totally stumped.

Thanks in advance

Back
Top Bottom