Product information: HiFiBerry Digi+ – Transformer VersionThe HiFiBerry Digi+ – Transformer Version is a high-quality S/PDIF output board for the Raspberry Pi model A+/B+ and the new Raspberry Pi 2B. It is designed as an add-on board that connects to the main GPIO header of the Raspberry Pi. It provides a bit-perfect output meaning that the audio data stream will not be modified in any way. It is in a HAT configuration and therefore with the onboard EEPROM is extremely easy to mount on the Raspberry Pi and can configure itself automatically.
This is the version with the output transformer which provides a full galvanic isolation between the Raspberry Pi and your DAC on the electrical output. There is also a standard version available which is suitable for most purposes. See the note below for a more thorough explanation.
- Dedicated S/PDIF interface chip supports up to 192kHz/24bit resolution.
- Optical (Toslink) and electrical outputs.
- Bit-perfect output, audio data stream will not be modified in any way.
- Connects directly to the Raspberry Pi, no additional cables needed.
- No soldering. The Digi+ comes as a pre-fabricated kit. You just plug it onto the Raspberry Pi B+. The board conform to the Raspberry Pi hardware-attached-on-top (HAT) specification. That means it perfectly fits your Raspberry Pi A+, B+ or 2B.
- Directly powered from the Raspberry Pi, no additional power supply required.
- Optional: high-bandwidth output transformer provides full galvanic isolation of the electrical output (not in the standard version).
- Integrated EEPROM for automatic configuration (with write-protection). Note that this feature is still in development by the Raspberry Pi foundation. You will be able to upgrade your HiFiBerry DAC+ when it is officially available. The sound card already works without this feature.
- Comes with all components required to mount it. We include 4 M2.5x12mm spacers to fix the board onto the Raspberry Pi.
*Note about the compatibility with Raspberry Pi Model A and B: This board is only compatible with the Raspberry Pi model A+, B+ and 2B. If you own an older Raspberry Pi model A or B, please use the HiFiBerry Digi. The sound quality of both boards is identical.
Important note: While the hardware is able to output DTS/Dolby Digital, the software has to be adapted to support this. We will support the developers to implement this. Unfortunately we can’t guarantee that this feature will work with a specific software. Please ask the developers of the software if this is supported for the The HiFiBerry Digi+ – Transformer Version.
The output transformer provides a full galvanic isolation between the Raspberry Pi and your DAC on the electrical output. Usual consumer-grade SPDIF outputs do not use output transformers. Usually this works without problems. However, many audio enthusiast like to use this option. If you’re not sure, the standard version is most likely ok for you.
The output transformer does not have any effect on the optical output. Therefore if you plan to use only the optical output, the standard version will do the job.