• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Anyone buying 1080 after ridiculous 1070 price

Soldato
The 490 will be coming in the next few months. If it competes with the 1070 and it's cheaper, it may put pressure on the 1070 prices.

That's presuming AMD take advantage of price competition. For all we know they could use the same tactics as Nvidia and price their card at a similar price to the 1070.. Not unusual in a market controlled by just two majorities.

The 480 or 490(?) won't sell well if it's the same or similar price to 1070 with similar performance. To increase market share they'll need to either out-perform which is looking unlikely or be very competitive on cost. As AMD ref cards at least never look as well designed and built as Nvidia cards they are usually cheaper for that reason too.

I would image an AMD card offering similar performance to a 1070 coming int at £300

Associate
A lot of people would consider an extra 15-20fps for £200 a pretty decent deal.

Agreed the 1080 still costs a crazy amount, but if you were in need of a good upgrade, I'd say the 1080 represents reasonable value compared to the 1070.

Value would be very subjective here, as it depends on what resolution and what games you play, also how your system performs already.

If those 15-20 fps are going to take you from averaging in the 40s to averaging in the 60s then hell yeah, that's worth it. If you're taking your game from 80 to 100 fps - sure, if you have a g-sync monitor you'll be able to get that better performance, but in my opinion it wouldn't really be worth it unless you truly didn't mind spending that much (having tried all my g-sync monitors refresh rates).

If you're running 1440p-4K and play all the latest AA titles with everything cranked up, you might as well get a 1080 as it's the only single GPU right now that can handle basically everything at 1440p maxed (not including hairworks lol) and even allow 'playable' framerates at 4K in a lot of cases.

Associate
To much money for something that will only decrease in value over time

Amd has the right idea make decent performance more accessible to the masses

hopefully nvidia will compete in this area as well

Associate

I am not sure what you mean. Nvidia cards seem to keep their value quite well.
I bought a GTX 970 on 15 Dec 2014, for 293.99.
Same card today is 289.99.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-259-ms.html

Of course I wouldn't get that much if I sold it today, but then I've been using it for quite a while so can't expect that :)

Associate
Fair point the market has been stagnant for a while guess i meant more long term

I think this is because game developers are catering for console owners and not much
is really pushing hardware unless you want really high res

also what i was trying to get at was the cost is excluding lots of potential customers

they are gong for a high mark up low sales model instead of a lots of sales

Associate
No chance I'm buying a 1070 or 1080 until these prices come down. As a Murican living the UK, I have a bad taste in my mouth already paying inflated prices, but I'm normally happy to pay it as most of (but not all) the difference is due to VAT. But the prices I'm seeing now are full-throttle bat sh#^ insane. As an example, most cards are running dollar to pound parity or worse e.g. 1070 is selling for around £430 now where as it's $430 on average in the US. This price disparity is well beyond the normal UK-US price differential, beyond the usual griping about other regions having lower prices, and beyond the normal early adopter tax -- what is going on here?

Moreover, for those thinking RX480 will be the messianic saviour of price/performance, that may be true in print, but I think we can expect the same inflated prices here.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I am not sure what you mean. Nvidia cards seem to keep their value quite well.
I bought a GTX 970 on 15 Dec 2014, for 293.99.
Same card today is 289.99.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-259-ms.html

Of course I wouldn't get that much if I sold it today, but then I've been using it for quite a while so can't expect that :)

On the other hand, £619 980ti that you only bought perhaps 6 months agao are now only £499 ;)

That's a big drop.

Caporegime
I've been looking to upgrade an R290X for ages but waited until the release of pascal (will wait to see what AMD offer at the end of June too now), and so am considering a new card, and haven't a clue what to get. Yes they're a lot of money but I guess I'll look at these in a few months as any of them will be a good upgrade for me, though I've been considering a 980 Ti, but they're an awful lot as well.

Can I just ask though why people thing these are over priced? They're incredibly sophisticated pieces of hardware.

Soldato

Why would they want to move to a less profitable model? They're the favourite by miles, thry're better off like this. It works.

Soldato
How does that refute that graphics cards are sophisticated pieces of hardware?

Well they are only as sophisticated as maxwell then but come with a very hefty price tag for what they are. Weve skiped a node to another node jump and we are on a new gen. But for the performance increase of just shrunk maxwell its just priced about 75 - 100 too much

Associate
Oh man I remember that!

I used to have to play Quake 2 in a small low res window cause I didn't have a 3d card.... but then I got a Voodoo card and it just blew my mind!

Man.... those were the days!

Associate
Associate
Probably buying another GTX 980 ti if I can get one for under 400€. This is just stupid.

Yeah same here. Wasn't thinking about SLI at all but now the 1070 and 1080 are out and ridiculously overpriced it might be a good idea if 980ti prices drop even more....£400 at the moment is pretty good and give a couple of more months they could cost even less what with the 1070 at around that price.

Back
Top Bottom