Spec me a Big Navi-ready gaming PC ~£2k

Associate
OP
I went for @Sparx original spec except swapped the mobo for the MSI X570 Tomahawk, the Dell monitor and the Corsair RM750 PSU.
I haven’t grabbed a GPU yet because the lead times on some of the parts is the end of the month.

Associate
OP
Parts arrived and the thing starts but I have a couple of questions, if anyone’s still reading :)
  • The BIOS shows a XMP profile of 3600 RAM but then shows ‘current’ speed of 2600. I just need to find the settings to set the timings using info for this memory, right?
  • The location of the case fan cabling and their short length means that I don’t have a working rear fan and the front fans have interior cables stretched across, they’re also 3 pin rather than 4 which the mobo has. If I buy 4 pin cable extenders, that won’t cause any issues will it? I spotted some people saying the 4th pin was required for PWM. The implication was that without that 4th pin the case fans, depending on the mobo, will run at 100%.

Associate
Parts arrived and the thing starts but I have a couple of questions, if anyone’s still reading :)
  • The BIOS shows a XMP profile of 3600 RAM but then shows ‘current’ speed of 2600. I just need to find the settings to set the timings using info for this memory, right?
  • The location of the case fan cabling and their short length means that I don’t have a working rear fan and the front fans have interior cables stretched across, they’re also 3 pin rather than 4 which the mobo has. If I buy 4 pin cable extenders, that won’t cause any issues will it? I spotted some people saying the 4th pin was required for PWM. The implication was that without that 4th pin the case fans, depending on the mobo, will run at 100%.

Re: the memory, after you set it to XMP and save and exit it both numbers should say 3600mhz next time you look in BIOS.
It just won't change on the fly....
XMP should take care of all the timings as indicated on the RAM.
Verify in windows using CPU-Z on the memory tab.

Associate
OP
I ended up with the
MSI MAG X570 TOMAHAWK WIFI (AMD AM4) DDR4 X570 ATX Motherboard and AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor (8C/16T, 36 MB Cache, 4.4 GHz Max Boost).
After a problem-free year I've just started getting constant crashes, sometimes the motherboard won't post and shows the CPU fail light.

I'm on the latest stable BIOS (7C84v17) but what I see in CPU-Z is that the core CPU voltage creeps up and up toward 1.5 volts at which point it crashes the machine.
I'm running at stock, no overclocking at all.
The CPU Core Voltage is set to [Auto] under the BIOS.

The CPU voltage climbs and climbs until the machine restarts, timing seems to vary somewhat by activity but it'll do it even if left on the desktop with no apps open.

Any ideas what and how I should deal with this?
Do I have to manually limit the voltage to keep it from crashing? if so, how would I know the right settings to use? or if this is the wrong solution, I'd appreciate some pointers.

I noticed on MSI's Compatibility Grid (https://uk.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-X570-TOMAHAWK-WIFI/support#support-main-block-qvl) they show an even earlier BIOS against the 3700X, I don't know if this is just the earliest supported BIOS or the only supported BIOS? I haven't tried flashing it back to that version (7C84v10).

Super frustrating issue to deal with, it just started after more than a year of use. Sometimes the motherboard will fail to POST with a CPU fail.

Is there a better place to post this question?

Back
Top Bottom