• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.

UEX

UEX

Associate
Not bad- just good enough. If you asked someone 2 years ago who bought a 2080 (for $800) if they would be running out of ram 18 months later in aaa title i bet they would have said not a chance

well they would have been fools. the clock needs to tick on this pcie 4.0 nvme direct thing, if that lives up to its promise then video ram is a diff thing

UEX

UEX

Associate
fact remains that the cost for ram at this price point is not significant.. no one spending £800 on a graphics card cares if its 700 800 900 it doesnt matter. putting 5gb 10gb etc more ram on it is easy. It DOESNT MATTER unless you are running real high res and fps

Associate
I don’t usually wade in....

As an idiot, the 10GB of VRAM to me is very questionable. However to hit a price point makes complete sense.

NV have already said since the announcement
the goal of the 3080 is to give great performance at up to 4K resolution with all the settings maxed out at the best possible price
and
extra memory is always nice but it would have increased the price of the graphic card, so we need to find the right balance

OK I get it! the 3080 is the mainstream 4K flagship card. Getting a 3090 is not the answer, it is not for mainstream gaming it the titan replacement. Now just give us hardcore gamers the full fat flagship which they obviously sitting on so to announce in a month or two following big navi.

Whoever in NV thinks announcing 3080ti with 16GB so soon after the 3080 shipping and not giving people the choice beforehand won’t be a PR disaster is crazy.

Caporegime
A higher tier 3070 (with more memory) or AMD equivalent looks to be the right segment for me. Should be a nice upgrade from a 980Ti.

Soldato
A higher tier 3070 (with more memory) or AMD equivalent looks to be the right segment for me. Should be a nice upgrade from a 980Ti.
Indeed. Shame stalker will still be a stutter fest ha ha.

Stalker 2 and Mass Effect remaster will run nicely on a 3080. The 17th can't come soon enough. I hope the reviews are positive so I have no excuse not to order one.

Associate
People here are a very small high end sub-set of PC gamers.

Steam surveys show that the vast majority of people still play at 1080 and 1440 is only gaining significant traction now. 4K is very niche but with the improved upsampling should be achievable with 10GB in the overwhelmingly vast majority of cases for years to come.

Soldato
I don’t usually wade in....

As an idiot, the 10GB of VRAM to me is very questionable. However to hit a price point makes complete sense.

NV have already said since the announcement and

OK I get it! the 3080 is the mainstream 4K flagship card. Getting a 3090 is not the answer, it is not for mainstream gaming it the titan replacement. Now just give us hardcore gamers the full fat flagship which they obviously sitting on so to announce in a month or two following big navi.

Whoever in NV thinks announcing 3080ti with 16GB so soon after the 3080 shipping and not giving people the choice beforehand won’t be a PR disaster is crazy.
I posted this here: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/33902248
https://ibb.co/T1K65Rt

Using Fortnite with RT is just an example of how ported games will come to PC in the very near future. They will be more open world games using RT.

As you can see the 3080 @4k can only deliver at 28FPS. But with DLSS you get 72 FPS. Now I could sweep that under the rug and just say..."as long as those games have DLSS support I've fine with it".
That prompts to concerns.
1. Why am I not getting 72FPS from the 3080 without DLSS? And with DLSS get 100 FPS? At least I know that I have a strong performing 3080. However, at first glance I have the horsepower but seem vram limited. So, to me, 10GB vram isn't enough.
2. If that's the FPS I'm getting in open world RT games at 4K then I'll just lower the resolution. However, if I have to do that why not keep Turing and hope Nvidia still supports DLSS for it so I can get "within the ballpark" in performance uplift with DLSS.

As you aptly quoted the 3080 10GB was a cost saving next gen card that's "up to" 4K. But when you start seeing 4K results things start to unravel.

Associate
wwwww
1. Why am I not getting 72FPS from the 3080 without DLSS? And with DLSS get 100 FPS? At least I know that I have a strong performing 3080. However, at first glance I have the horsepower but seem vram limited. So, to me, 10GB vram isn't enough.

What does VRAM quantity have to do with DLSS and RTX framerates? Do tell.
Because it seems far more likely to be about RTX processing power than the amount of RAM here.

You keep banging on about this but it seems like you don't really know what you're talking about.

Soldato
wwwww

What does VRAM quantity have to do with DLSS and RTX framerates? Do tell.
Because it seems far more likely to be about RTX processing power than the amount of RAM here.

You keep banging on about this but it seems like you don't really know what you're talking about.
That slide counters your claims that 10GB is enough and it agitates you.

You cannot provide any insight, other then your own guess, as to why frame rates look so bad or you would have said so.

Therefore, you really don't know what you are talking about. Except feeling some kind of way that shots were fired at the fact that 10GB really isn't enough for a flagship card. As it stands, this is the type of example of what happens when you are vram limited at 4K using RT in an open world game. It's not hard to figure out DLSS's reduce resolution also reduces the memory footprint require therefore you see the increase frame rates. However, again for a flagship card, we should be seeing this already without DLSS.
:D

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
That slide counters your claims that 10GB is enough and it agitates you.

You cannot provide any insight, other then your own guess, as to why frame rates look so bad or you would have said so.

Therefore, you really don't know what you are talking about. Except feeling some kind of way that shots were fired at the fact that 10GB really isn't enough for a flagship card. As it stands, this is the type of example of what happens when you are vram limited at 4K using RT in an open world game. It's not hard to figure out DLSS's reduce resolution also reduces the memory footprint require therefore you see the increase frame rates. However, again for a flagship card, we should be seeing this already without DLSS.
:D
Hey East, guess what GPU I am buying? A 3080 10GB :p

Soldato
Or....or....
Just wait until Nvidia drop these rumored TI variants with more memory
Buy Console
Wait to see what RDNA 2 offers.

There better options then just pay $1500 for a video card.

That's what I'd do. Never trust manufacturers marketing. Refreshed cards will drop. By the time next gen optimised games drop everyone will be thinking about buying the 4000 series. In the meantime VRAM could be an issue, the spectre of which will hurt resale, especially if refreshed higher VRAM cards are out.

Time to chill and see what unfolds :)

Associate
Microsoft direct storage "preview" not available on windows until 2021 it seems. So games support it late in the year or 2022? Not quite the saviour then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom