Spec me a 24/27" monitor (IPS 144?) - Reprise

Associate
Time flies - about this time last year I was looking to buy a monitor (in this thread)

I ended up seriously looking at the VX2758-2KP-MHD or the LG 27GL850-B everybody was going crazy after.
However, everything was out of stock and I never quite got around to it - so I'm now back looking again.

Are these still worth considering?
Any long term usage feedback from those who bought one, I heard the colours weren't great on the LGs?
Any other suggestions?

I don't want curved, don't really want/need anything larger than 27" and would prefer a IPS panel.
Instock/available and not vapourware.

Associate
OP
Thanks @Eddie - seems not much has changed in a year and the monitor options are still dire.

Asus VG27AQ looks good, I've also been looking at the Dell S2721DGF if you have seen that one? There is a thread on here.

Soldato
It's a very stagnant, stalled area of tech. I'm trying to find a new 1440p 144hz display, pick your poison on each type of display tech :(

Soldato
Thanks @Eddie - seems not much has changed in a year and the monitor options are still dire.

Asus VG27AQ looks good, I've also been looking at the Dell S2721DGF if you have seen that one? There is a thread on here.

I'm just reading that thread and apparently it's the same panel as the LG ##850, which I have just sent back, with bad back light bleed being one of a few things I wasn't overly impressed with.

Soldato
Since these 120FPS @ 4K consoles are starting to hit the market soon, I'm guessing we'll see an influx of monitors for better or worse. The new tech to keep an eye on is DSC.

My go to website is Techspot, they maintain a website but also host a youtube channel if you prefer that form of consumption. I like how they don't saturate you with pointless details while still performing a range of tests on each monitor.

Take a look and let us know which one you decide on getting.
https://www.techspot.com/bestof/gaming-monitors/#225661

Also a full list of top tier review sites.
https://old.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/epy0lf/can_we_get_pinned_list_of_important_monitor/

Last edited:
Associate
OP
@Eddie - Yes I believe it is the same panel, basically seems to be a slightly improved 850, but £100 cheaper at the moment - other than the BLB what else did you not like about the LG?

@trentlad - Tim seems to do a excellent job of monitor reviews on HU, he has mentioned the Dell but not had one to test yet.
There are a couple of reviews on youtube and I've read a few pages of comments on reddit and the general feedback seems to be pretty positive aside from the standard contrast issues of the panel.

Associate
OP
Which GPU do you have? Would you be interested in an ultra-wide monitor?

2070 Super

I haven't really looked at the Ultrawides as I think would be pushing the deskspace. I already have a couple of older 23 inch which I will probably do a triple monitor setup with. I suppose it depends on how cost effective they are for a decent refresh rate.
I also can't get on with curved.

Soldato
@Eddie - Yes I believe it is the same panel, basically seems to be a slightly improved 850, but £100 cheaper at the moment - other than the BLB what else did you not like about the LG?

The BLB was unacceptable for me, but it also seemed to have a weird effect round the edges, as if the screen was dirty (not sure what the technical term for that is), especially on the left and right sides, which stood out when looking at websites with light borders.

Apart from the screen though, the stand is very poorly designed (imo) - takes up too much desk space, no swivel and inadequate height adjustment as it wouldn't go low enough for my setup. I wasn't overly keen on the red plastic either, it just looked cheap.

If I managed to get lucky and got a good panel I would have to change the stand, maybe for a monitor arm or something.

Also, the monitor had a two inch scratch on the bottom bezel - how that got past QC I don't know!

Soldato
2070 Super

You could go 4K with that.

I haven't really looked at the Ultrawides as I think would be pushing the deskspace. I already have a couple of older 23 inch which I will probably do a triple monitor setup with. I suppose it depends on how cost effective they are for a decent refresh rate.
I also can't get on with curved.

34" UW 3440x1440 IPS 144 Hz good enough? Some games are better on UW than 4k - I have both. Given that you have run triple monitors in the past, I think you would prefer the experience of gaming on a single UW monitor.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £410.69 (includes shipping: £11.70)​

Ditch your existing monitors entirely. Or stack one of your existing monitors above it, though OCUK don't do that sort of monitor mount.

Soldato
... the stand is very poorly designed (imo) - takes up too much desk space, no swivel and inadequate height adjustment as it wouldn't go low enough for my setup. I wasn't overly keen on the red plastic either, it just looked cheap....

Take the stand out of the equation and go Ergotron desk arm. Trust me. I even purchased one for work.

Associate
OP
The Iiyama is compelling at the price, but feedback seemed to be a mixed bag and from a workflow perspective I really couldn't get by with just one monitor, no matter how big. Good shout though.

After much soulsearching I've decided to try the Dell.
Returns seem pretty easy, which given my luck, is probably a good thing - especially with the IPS lottery.

With the discounts it comes in at £331, and while that seems slightly ridiculous to me for a monitor considering I got two U2312HM's for that last time, in comparison to the rest of the market at the moment it seems reasonable.
Fingers crossed for a good one and we shall see how it goes.

Soldato
Take the stand out of the equation and go Ergotron desk arm. Trust me. I even purchased one for work.

Cheers, but they are a bit pricey for me.

The Iiyama is compelling at the price, but feedback seemed to be a mixed bag and from a workflow perspective I really couldn't get by with just one monitor, no matter how big. Good shout though.

After much soulsearching I've decided to try the Dell.
Returns seem pretty easy, which given my luck, is probably a good thing - especially with the IPS lottery.

With the discounts it comes in at £331, and while that seems slightly ridiculous to me for a monitor considering I got two U2312HM's for that last time, in comparison to the rest of the market at the moment it seems reasonable.
Fingers crossed for a good one and we shall see how it goes.

Good luck, let us know how you get on :)

Back
Top Bottom