Gaming Build Advice - £700

Associate
Hi, all.

I am looking for some suggestions on a gaming build project that I want to undertake with a teenage lad I work with. I understand that, at this price, it would be more cost-effective to go for an XBox but this is as much an educational venture as anything else. I also understand that it may be more cost-effective to wait a while for the CPU prices to drop but the lad in question has Autism and so waiting is not an option. :)

So, the build is a 1080p gaming one. A monitor is not needed initially (however, one may be added in the future) but KB/M, Windows & WiFi are. Overclocking is unnecessary but RGB is the greatest invention known to man. Used parts could be an option if really necessary but I think I prefer going the new route, due to the experience of him receiving and unboxing shiny new parts.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, Micky. I recall you helped me greatly in building my rig a few years ago. It's still going strong and had a couple of upgrades since, but a little outdated now. :)

This build definitely looks to have more than enough oomph for the requirements, however, the board you suggested doesn't include WiFi, which is definitely needed. Also I need to have M/KB and Windows within the budget as well. The case I definitely like the look of and you've definitely given me a starting point, so thanks. :)

Associate
OP
I tinkered with the PSU and the motherboard and shaved off a few quid, which should leave room for a Havit KB/M combo from elsewhere.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £696.15 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Does this still work and is there a big difference between the two boards?

I was also toying with the idea of stepping down from the 1660s to a 1650s but wasn't sure if it would be too big of a step down for a £30 saving.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £666.15 (includes shipping: £12.30)

Last edited:
Soldato
If you’re after an RGB gaming mouse and keyboard check out the products from Pictek. I bought their smaller (ten keyless TKL) model for £33 and wireless mouse for £25. Both have great RGB with different colour modes. You can probably fit an RGB mouse surface, (£16-20 for a large 800x300 RGB mat) and full ARGB case fan into your budget too.

ARGB case fan : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/jonsbo-fr-502-120mm-argb-pwm-cooling-fan-fg-001-jb.html : £9

Also, for another £10 you can get this motherboard with some RGB, and it has WiFi.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-35h-ms.html
The B450 chipset in this is the older gen version but B550 offers no real benefit for the average user and costs more. B450 still supports the new AMD CPU’s should you wish to upgrade later.

RGB memory
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...al-channel-kit-rgb-black-tf1d4-my-08m-tg.html : £80

You could save a bit on the above builds by going for a cheaper Power supply, no need to be spending 10% of your budget on this.
Corsair 550w Bronze : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...nze-power-supply-cp-9020210-uk-ca-25c-cs.html : £45

Last edited:
Man of Honour
@Brocky36 nostalgic thread.

You can always shave money by getting cheaper components while reducing your gpu will lower performance, reducing the psu can effect quality and warranty . This is a choice you have make but the psu is one of the most important part of any system.

Msi motherboard will be fine for your needs and could go b450 as specced above.

1660 super is z cracking gpu and will give the ability to play Some games at 1440p, 1650 super is a good 1080p card, whichever suits your budget.

Spending a bit more can sometimes get you a lot more in terms of ability.

Windows 10 keys can be had for £10, then just download windows onto a usb stick and install,
There are plenty of guides online.

Associate
OP
If you’re after an RGB gaming mouse and keyboard check out the products from Pictek. I bought their smaller (ten keyless TKL) model for £33 and wireless mouse for £25. Both have great RGB with different colour modes. You can probably fit an RGB mouse surface, (£16-20 for a large 800x300 RGB mat) and full ARGB case fan into your budget too.

ARGB case fan : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/jonsbo-fr-502-120mm-argb-pwm-cooling-fan-fg-001-jb.html : £9

Also, for another £10 you can get this motherboard with some RGB, and it has WiFi.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/msi-...ocket-am4-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-35h-ms.html
The B450 chipset in this is the older gen version but B550 offers no real benefit for the average user and costs more. B450 still supports the new AMD CPU’s should you wish to upgrade later.

RGB memory
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...al-channel-kit-rgb-black-tf1d4-my-08m-tg.html : £80

You could save a bit on the above builds by going for a cheaper Power supply, no need to be spending 10% of your budget on this.
Corsair 550w Bronze : https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...nze-power-supply-cp-9020210-uk-ca-25c-cs.html : £45
Thanks for the suggestions, SDK. Unfortunately, whilst the RGB RAM would be great, we are right on the limit of the budget as is. I also think that it doesn't really have the same impact with only two sticks as it would with four. That's maybe an upgrade option further down the line. Same with the mouse mat. The case has RGB fan rings which is enough, so no need for the full RGB fans.

@Brocky36 nostalgic thread.

You can always shave money by getting cheaper components while reducing your gpu will lower performance, reducing the psu can effect quality and warranty . This is a choice you have make but the psu is one of the most important part of any system.

Msi motherboard will be fine for your needs and could go b450 as specced above.

1660 super is z cracking gpu and will give the ability to play Some games at 1440p, 1650 super is a good 1080p card, whichever suits your budget.

Spending a bit more can sometimes get you a lot more in terms of ability.

Windows 10 keys can be had for £10, then just download windows onto a usb stick and install,
There are plenty of guides online.
Thanks, Micky. I had a chat with the recipient today and he's going to go with the 1660s option. This leaves us right on the maximum of the budget and he is going to have to come up with a little more cash before we can start ordering, so that he can get the RGB KB/M, but he's ok with it.

Soldato
I know you said in OP you want to go with shiny new parts if possible, but you could get a used RX 590 or GTX 970/980 that would definitely do the job for 1080p gaming and easily wipe 120quid off the price so you could start ordering straight away. Just a thought.

Soldato
Thanks for the suggestions, SDK. Unfortunately, whilst the RGB RAM would be great, we are right on the limit of the budget as is. I also think that it doesn't really have the same impact with only two sticks as it would with four. That's maybe an upgrade option further down the line. Same with the mouse mat. The case has RGB fan rings which is enough, so no need for the full RGB fans.
I agree with the RAM sticks - defo need four.

This is the work in progress build for my son.
I’m waiting on the graphics card - looking to go with an NVIDIA 3070 or 3060, or one of the new AMD GPU’S being announced at the end of this month.

The RGB on this build will be pretty much maxed

- RGB case - Cougar Gemini T
- RGB CPU cooler
- 4x RGB Ram sticks
- 7x RGB fans
- RGB PSU cable
- RGB GPU cable
- RGB keyboard, mouse and large mouse mat
- RGB Razer 2.0 Gaming Speakers
- RGB Corsair iCUE Smart Lighting sticks
- RGB headset stand
- RGB LED desk backlighting
- RGB gaming chair

50490013672_0b5cd28caf_b.jpg

Associate
OP
Damn! Now that's heavy on the RGB! :D

I am not a fan myself but with the recipient of this build having ASD, we wanted to have at least some RGB but he definitely doesn't have the budget for anything close to yours - though I am sure he would love to have something like that. Maybe we can upgrade later on.

Soldato
Damn! Now that's heavy on the RGB! :D

I am not a fan myself but with the recipient of this build having ASD, we wanted to have at least some RGB but he definitely doesn't have the budget for anything close to yours - though I am sure he would love to have something like that. Maybe we can upgrade later on.
Sure - it’s always fun adding new stuff when the time is right. RGB fans are pretty cheap and easy to integrate into an existing system.

Back
Top Bottom