~7 Year Old CPU, but Should I Just Start Over?

Associate
Hi there, made an account just for some expert advice. Kinda struggling to throw all my thoughts together here so I apologise if this is very waffely or if I'm acting silly.

I first got my rig in 2012 and since then I've upgraded the Motherboard, CPU, PSU and graphics card (twice).
Here's my current build which includes the monitor I use:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Z97-P ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 16 GB (4 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 CL9 Memory
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card:Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB STRIX GAMING Video Card
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P350X ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: FSP Group 750 W 80+ Silver Certified ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Monitor: LG 27GL850-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor

My rig has served me well so far, but recently I have been playing games that have given me CPU bottlenecks. Most notably, Gears 5 and I believe Monster Hunter World. (For MHW I consistently get ~70fps no matter what graphics settings I change.)

I like to play the latest games, fast paced games, and VR games, and my CPU has been doing pretty well with it. However with the recent bottlenecking I've been running into, I'm wondering if it's wise to upgrade my cpu (and consequently my motherboard and RAM) or try to sell my rig and start over with a 5000-series cpu and an rtx 3080 or something. I play a lot so it would get a lot of use and I'd be able to afford it.

I know it seems kinda silly to start over instead of just upgrading the old parts that I believe are causing trouble. Although I feel like if I'm replacing all of these parts, what else will I need to replace in the near future, like my PSU? I like the idea of having RGB in my machine and changing the colours to suit me (I have no rgb controller), but I'm not sure what else I would need to get for that, or even if I really like my case. Honestly finding a case I absolutely adore has been one of the hardest parts of this.

Again, I apologise for the rambling. I hope I'm not coming across as a dingus for considering starting over if this turns into something minor and I'm making a mountain out of a molehill...

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll need to list the pertinent parts in your post.

The site you've linked to will have links to OcUK's competitors which is against forum rules (which OcUK pays for).

Soldato
I'd look at swapping to Ryzen, if you need it now could go for Ryzen 3600/3700 or if happy to wait the new Ryzen CPU are close.

Ram I still stand by using Kingston or Corsair ideally would want 3200 speed as minimum

Caporegime
why not try overclocking your cpu to 4ghz you could just copy someone elses OC settings from the web with those chips and hit 4ghz oc easy then just lower the voltage a bit from what they say and see if your chip is still stable.

no matter what you upgrade to make sure you check benchmarks comparing both CPUs FPS in games.

whilst you can now get cpu's with far more cores most games won't use them anyway and you might end up upgrading to something that runs games that only use 2-3threads slower than your current cpu or barely any faster you just end up with a lot more cores.

more cores doesnt mean your future proofed though if the single thread performance is not any better

Soldato
So something like this then

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,310.92 (includes shipping: £11.10)

You can re-use your case and heatsink. I have included 2 silverstone air blazer rgb fans to put on the hyper 212 for more rgb. They are designed for heatsinks/radiators.
Also with the MSI promotion
https://uk.msi.com/Promotion/back-t...fVCh0MQgtBEAAYASAAEgKHz_D_BwE#AMD-Motherboard

You will get £54 cashback from this combo.

Soldato
4 core/4 thread CPU is very low end by todays standards and definitely struggles to run heavier games smoothly.
Any background tasks of Windows/other software cause very easily hiccups, because there just aren't "enough workers" to do all the simultaneous tasks.
That "not needed" i7 with hyperthreading would be now doing good amount better in that.
But unless you can get it for money you would use for candy, it makes zero sense as ugprade.

Simply because quad core is very low end regardless of anything else.
Just for comparison next-gen consoles have easily twice the CPU power of your CPU...
Whose performance has been nibbled by patches to all the vulnerabilities.

Would need PSU's specific model number, but FSP has always been at best average manufacturer and cheap C(r)apXon capacitors used to be their "trademark".
So if it's anything like close to PC's age, it's time to change it.

You can re-use your case and heatsink. I have included 2 silverstone air blazer rgb fans to put on the hyper 212 for more rgb. They are designed for heatsinks/radiators.
That old cooler definitely doesn't have AM4 compatible mounting.

Soldato
That old cooler definitely doesn't have AM4 compatible mounting.

The hyper 212 evo lists AM4 compatability.

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cooler-master-hyper-212-evo-cpu-cooler-hs-035-cm.html

If he got it 7 years ago then it wont have that bracket but coolermaster lists making one

https://landing.coolermaster.com/pages/amd-am4-ryzen-compatability/

Add one of these to my build idea then to replace that old FSP psu.

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £125.45 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Back
Top Bottom