• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Navi 23 ‘NVIDIA Killer’ GPU Rumored to Support Hardware Ray Tracing, Coming Next Year

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
When Lisa pulls it from her oven on Wednesday :p
This explains the rumours I heard about a 6900XT: Uterus Edition. Its cooling solution uses fallopian tubes instead of heatpipes and sheds its thermal pads in a cyclic pattern. Inserting DP/HDMI cables into the card's rear slots causes the GPU die to spawn additional chiplets - this is actually part of their strategy for MCM modules for RDNA3.

Soldato
This is exactly what happened with Fermi,as Nvidia needed to use larger dies and larger memory buses to compete with AMD. I do hope this is a Maxwell like moment for AMD in terms of performance/watt. Some AMD laptops with decent AMD dGPUs would be a nice change!!
Exactly.

I do wonder if it would be reasonably priced for a complete AMD system?
I wonder if they would give any bundled discounts for retailers??? That would be nice.

Soldato
If AMD is faster then it won't be cheaper just like with their CPUs which are now more expensive than Intel.

Precisely, AMD have hinted at it during investor conferences, they've actually done it (with zen 3) and now we have inside info saying AMD is wondering why it needs to undercut Nvidia when it can match them. So I have absolutely no doubt that AMD will the more expensive GPU if they have the performance advantage - that's where they are as a business now, they don't need to worry about being a loss leader - there was a time where AMD had to be the cheapest and fastest to get mass market appeal but that time is gone

Permabanned
Yeah there's still not really enough games out with RT for it to be worthwhile yet, it's only properly getting introduced widely with the consoles now, so it'll be this time next year where we'll start seeing a lot more games with good RT, so in other words, when RDNA3/Hopper are meant to be getting announced

Honestly, the way I play (focusing on single, usually moddable games for many months, with the odd indie (that I buy full price often) or oldie alongside, and none of them RT'd up so far.. I probably won't properly care about RT till the consoles have hit their stride for a bit, which should be around those GPUs yeah and DDR5, and I'll give the latter some time to mature and prices to lower wherever, and from my older 1440p to a 4K OLED/whatever, and we'll see :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Precisely, AMD have hinted at it during investor conferences, they've actually done it (with zen 3) and now we have inside info saying AMD is wondering why it needs to undercut Nvidia when it can match them. So I have absolutely no doubt that AMD will the more expensive GPU if they have the performance advantage - that's where they are as a business now, they don't need to worry about being a loss leader - there was a time where AMD had to be the cheapest and fastest to get mass market appeal but that time is gone

I certainly get the feeling those hoping AMD will be disruptive on pricing are going to be disappointed - they aren't approaching these GPUs from the cheapest perspective (for instance the PCBs we've seen so far appear to have a no cost spared approach to power delivery - though AIBs can make savings there) and as you said it isn't the theme they've been selling to their investors/shareholders.

Caporegime
What on earth are you babbling on about? You said £649 is mythical, owners thread 4 days ago someone added a FE which is £649 :rolleyes:
If you can't figure out that by 'mythical' he meant 'extremely scarce' then you're either not very bright or being purposefully ignorant. We all know they are like hens teeth at the moment.

Caporegime
Grim, that's not really an accurate reflection. For CPU's that time of being the underdog is gone and they are performance leaders with a lot of positive mindshare and press publicity created by Zen2.

For GPU's... the time of them being the underdog is not gone yet because they have not been competitive in this generation. The 5700XT has been their top dog and it is only an upper mid-range GPU. Nvidia have been the undisputed high-end kings for the couple of few generations. That counts for a lot and it's why their market share is so huge.

Maybe next generation AMD will be on a more equal footing if RDNA2 delivers the performance and mindshare they need.

Last edited:
Soldato
Grim, that's not really an accurate reflection. For CPU's that time of being the underdog is gone and they are performance leaders with a lot of positive mindshare and press publicity created by Zen2.

For GPU's... the time of them being the underdog is not gone yet because they have not been competitive in this generation. The 5700XT has been their top dog and it is only an upper mid-range GPU. Nvidia have been the undisputed high-end kings for the couple of few generations. That counts for a lot and it's why their market share is so huge.

Maybe next generation AMD will be on a more equal footing if RDNA2 delivers the performance and mindshare they need.

This all depends on how much carry over from Ryzen AMD management believe there is. They may well think there is as consumers often conflate the company with products. In fact companies actively encourage that thinking to sell more stuff, see Apple.

This won't cut it for the more informed but sometimes executives can't see the wood for the trees.

Associate
The 6800XT might be snapping at the heels of the 3080 but its the 6900XT that interests me, will that be snapping at the heels of the 3090 and able to beat it in some games, OK 3090 has RT but very few games have that. Can the 6900XT rattle nvidia's crown. Long ago i remember when Nvidia had the 4600Ti and Ati released the 9700pro to stamp on nvidia.
I would love to see that again :D some might remember that in 2002 ahhhh the good old days lol

Soldato
The 6800XT might be snapping at the heels of the 3080 but its the 6900XT that interests me, will that be snapping at the heels of the 3090 and able to beat it in some games, OK 3090 has RT but very few games have that. Can the 6900XT rattle nvidia's crown. Long ago i remember when Nvidia had the 4600Ti and Ati released the 9700pro to stamp on nvidia.
I would love to see that again :D some might remember that in 2002 ahhhh the good old days lol

I was there, great card :cool:

Soldato

i bought 2 saphire 9700pro at the time, really nice cards, i was playing battlefield 1942 and or medal of honor.

Permabanned
When Lisa pulls it from her oven on Wednesday :p

In the best case some benchmarks done by AMD Labs which would ultimately differ to the real world benchmarks released later in November or December by independent third party reviewers, and even later you might be able to purchase anything....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom